DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Conflated issues, major scare

John235

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Yesterday I was flying my MP while casting my tablet display to the TV inside the house. Here is the setup:
1. Verizon mifi as wireless internet router, past data cutoff for throttling. The connections to the tablet and TV and therefore the casting are a bit flakey.
2. I was outside the house, further complicating the tablet's connection to the mifi.
3. The MP was about 1000 ft away, where I had descended below tree level over a clearing to inspect the brush-clearing needs. In addition, the the clearing was beyond a small rise in the ground.

I got a weak signal message, followed quickly by an RC connection error. I ran up the rise a bit to try to improve the connection, whereupon DJI GO displayed "disconnected" as the fpv went black and white and froze. I think that the tablet was overloaded with struggling to maintain wifi connection and casting. Now I was completely blind with no Go4 control, and a drone in the air 1000 feet away, below tree level. Suddenly, the rc began beeping, but in my anxiety, I never looked over the tablet to the rc screen. I must have regained rc connection, and the drone was in failsafe rth, because as I was still running up the rise, I heard, then watched the MP returning and land itself.
The tablet never reconnected to the rc untill I rebooted and restarted the rc and drone.

All is ok, but I learned a few lessons. One is to make sure the rth height is properly set. Another is that the MP failsafe system is one of its best features.

Reactions: DDS
Yesterday I was flying my MP while casting my tablet display to the TV inside the house. Here is the setup:
1. Verizon mifi as wireless internet router, past data cutoff for throttling. The connections to the tablet and TV and therefore the casting are a bit flakey.
2. I was outside the house, further complicating the tablet's connection to the mifi.
3. The MP was about 1000 ft away, where I had descended below tree level over a clearing to inspect the brush-clearing needs. In addition, the the clearing was beyond a small rise in the ground.

I got a weak signal message, followed quickly by an RC connection error. I ran up the rise a bit to try to improve the connection, whereupon DJI GO displayed "disconnected" as the fpv went black and white and froze. I think that the tablet was overloaded with struggling to maintain wifi connection and casting. Now I was completely blind with no Go4 control, and a drone in the air 1000 feet away, below tree level. Suddenly, the rc began beeping, but in my anxiety, I never looked over the tablet to the rc screen. I must have regained rc connection, and the drone was in failsafe rth, because as I was still running up the rise, I heard, then watched the MP returning and land itself.
The tablet never reconnected to the rc untill I rebooted and restarted the rc and drone.

All is ok, but I learned a few lessons. One is to make sure the rth height is properly set. Another is that the MP failsafe system is one of its best features.

Good news at the end! Going behind a visual and signal barrier such as trees and a rise would be the #1 not to do lesson here ;)

We are very glad to hear that worked out for you, please try to keep the drone in line of sight and that would also assure a better signal the the RC. The signal being used is 2.4ghz. You may want to set the connection to other devices on a 5.8 ghz connections to avoid conflicting signals. Good luck and fly safe.

Yep. Never again. To get a better view of brush, I can try setting to 1080p and use my digital zoom while staying above treetops. Will try that next time we get sun.

Note: I know I should always stay in VLOS, and normally always do. We are in the middle of nowhere, and I just thought I'd try it.

The suggestion about the frequency is good, and I will try it, although since we are so isolated here, there are very few stray signals.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark