DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Considering downsizing to a Mini 3 Pro

I've been with DJI products for many years. I've owned a Phantom, then Mavic Pro, Mini 2, and now Mini 3. I had no regrets selling my Mavic Pro for Mini 2 and the 3 is way better than the 2, so far in my experience. I don't think you'll even look back.

I too went with the RC controller due to the first world headache of plugging in a cable. I am enjoying the remote as much as I anticipated!...Do it!!

I travel around the country shooting commercial property. I used the Mavic 2 Pro for years, and while I still take it with me for backup, I have been only using the Mini 3 Pro since it was released.

It is smaller, lighter, no need to constantly deal with compass issues, much better range, etc. I have this one building that I have to fly around every month or so (as it's under construction) and the Mavic 2 would drop signal when it was on the other side EVERY time. The Mini 3 has never dropped signal on that same POI circle.

Seriously.. I would take a pic but I'm not home. This small drone, controller, and battery pack are one third to one quarter the size of the Mavic Pro 2, its controller, the tablet I use with it, the tablet adapter for the controller, the 5 batteries that last about 25 min each, the and speed charger. Probably 1/8th the weight of all that as well.

When I travel with coworkers (who are on the financial side) and they have a small carry on while I am hauling my bigger one that is 3/4 used up by the Mavic Pro 2, I can't wait for the day that I feel safe enough to just take the Mini and that's it.

Sample Mini 3 videos (both taken with a higher frame rate as I didn't have the ND filters yet)
EvanWasHere - I'm curious as to how you will be maintaining consistency between flights in your progressive construction video as I'm assuming you are planning to compile/merge the videos at some point in the future once the construction is completed. I just started construction on a house and would like to capture the construction progress over many weeks but have delayed acquiring a Mini 3 Pro due to it's not having the waypoints feature. I currently have a M2Z and made my first videos using both Litchi and Go4 waypoint missions so that I can replicate the flight path. I'd love to switch to the Mini 3 Pro but would hate to lose the waypoint mission features.

It is a great drone if you intend to fly no further than 300m and behind no obstacles/trees/etc
shadow3467 - I note you've made many posts about poor signal reception most of which involved BVLOS (i.e. obstacles between controller and aircraft). Has anyone, to your knowledge, conducted comparisons of signal strength or reception when obstacles are involved between the Mini 3 Pro and other DJI models, such as the Air 2S, Mavic 2 Pro, etc.? I have a M2Z and have frequently experienced serious signal/reception degradation whenever tree foliage comes between the aircraft and controller - just would like to know if the Mini 3 Pro is actually any worse than other DJI models.

shadow3467 - I note you've made many posts about poor signal reception most of which involved BVLOS (i.e. obstacles between controller and aircraft). Has anyone, to your knowledge, conducted comparisons of signal strength or reception when obstacles are involved between the Mini 3 Pro and other DJI models, such as the Air 2S, Mavic 2 Pro, etc.? I have a M2Z and have frequently experienced serious signal/reception degradation whenever tree foliage comes between the aircraft and controller - just would like to know if the Mini 3 Pro is actually any worse than other DJI models.
Just a small test on my part, I fly it out to a known fail point where tree follage becomes an issue and the Mini 3 seems to perform on par with the other quads, dies right where my other DJI quads do.
Where some might be getting caught out is on the directional orientation of RC do the aircraft due to antenna design. The older external antenna on the RCs was a little more forgiving in that regard.

Reactions: Coskier and Torque
I currently have a Mavic 2 Pro I rarely use and am considering a Mini 3 Pro.

The smaller size and quiet operation attract me. I would order one with a smart controller since I'm tired of hooking up my phone to fly.

Has anyone downsized like this?

Are you happy or do you regret the move?
Yes, I sold the Mavic 2 Pro and bought the Mini 3 Pro, less restrictions flying in the UK with Mini 3 Pro. Like you I was n't using the Mavic 2 Pro very much as I was using a Mini 2, again due to less restrictions in the UK. Very happy with my Mini drones. The M2P is a beast, build quality is awesome, but at 900g restricted.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
The M2P is a beast, build quality is awesome, but at 900g restricted.
With the new regs coming out next year (or it that only Europe?), it looks like it's 7 g too heavy as the new limit seems like it will be <900 g.

I'll admit the Mini is a lot easier to pack than the M2 — I notice the difference between packing my Mini and my M2 on a long hike…

With the new regs coming out next year (or it that only Europe?), it looks like it's 7 g too heavy as the new limit seems like it will be <900 g.

I'll admit the Mini is a lot easier to pack than the M2 — I notice the difference between packing my Mini and my M2 on a long hike…
The M2P flies with A2 certificate (A2CofC in UK) either in A2 subcategory or A3 subcategory (with A1/A3 certificate) in EASA or CAA airspace.

Legacy period was extended to end with 31st Dec., 2023 in EASA airspace, for UK the CAA now recommends to extend indefnitely.

With no further extension past 2023 your M2P will not be valid to fly anymore in EASA airspace if the guideline stays the same or the M2P is not retrofitted with a C label.

Last edited:
Just a small test on my part, I fly it out to a known fail point where tree follage becomes an issue and the Mini 3 seems to perform on par with the other quads, dies right where my other DJI quads do.
Where some might be getting caught out is on the directional orientation of RC do the aircraft due to antenna design. The older external antenna on the RCs was a little more forgiving in that regard.
Thanks mavicn00b! - that's just what I was wanting to know. I'm seriously considering getting a Mini 3 Pro but didn't want a degradation in signal strength, relative to the M2Z I currently use.

Legacy period was extended to end with 31st Dec., 2023 in EASA airspace, for UK the CAA now recommends to extend indefnitely.
Was it already extended? I remember reading a statement saying "it might, and probably will be extended", but I havent read some decisive statement yet (not that I particulary looked for it)

I did notice some signal drop-off with the drone 1000+ feet away and the controller held against the back side of a four-foot diameter live oak tree.

View attachment 151349

View attachment 151350
Mini 3 and Mini 2 signal strength compared. See post #36 and 37,

I just flew the Mini 2 out to the same position and altitude. The signal performance was essentially the same as with the Mini 3. Five full bars through the tree canopy. And a decline to three bars with the controller touching the back side of the live oak.

Away from the big oak, both drones showed similar sensitivity to controller orientation, dropping to three bars with the controller aimed 180 degrees from the drone.

Last edited:
I haven't downsized as such, but own a Mavic Pro (M1P) and a Spark, and still use both depending on needs.
The Spark does get more action interstate, where the whole kit is much more compact / lighter to take carry on when travelling by plane with cabin bag only.

If worried about any repetitive issues you hear about online (in the Mini 3 Pro section here in particular), just hang on a while, it should get better within a short time.

Not sure you'll like Fly as compared to Go4, but from what I've read on the forum, Fly has improved since I downloaded it a long time ago.

Yes, very much quieter from what I've read, camera probably nearly as good as the M2P (no variable shutter), and of course a really good flight time as well (just over 30 mins).
The Plus battery if available there (yet ?) gives around 45 mins !
Regarding the camera the Mini 3 Pro allows you to adjust the shutter speed, just not the aperture.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I currently have a Mavic 2 Pro I rarely use and am considering a Mini 3 Pro.
Are you happy or do you regret the move?
I did exactly this "downgrade" and it was an upgrade, in practical terms.

The regulations for a sub-250g aircraft are so very much better in most countries. Now at last I can fly over people and close to structures etc. It has completely unlocked a whole new range of uses. It is also much quieter, so I get fewer grumpy bystanders shouting at me.

It is incredibly portable. The little FlyMore bag holds the drone and a couple of batteries and is effortless to carry. Or you can pop the drone into a (large) pocket.

You need some heavyweight ND filters (eg 64, 128) to adjust for the 1.7mm lens if you want to shoot at 2x frame rate.

Things I miss:
- RTH does not use the camera for precision landing the way it does on the Mavic 2 Pro - it uses GPS only, so it can land a couple of metres off from the launch point. Be very careful when launching near trees or a fence etc as it may come back in the wrong place. On the plus side I've stopped carrying the launchpad I used to use with the M2P and this makes the whole operation less obtrusive
- wind performance is poorer; there are some videos which suggest it may struggle to return into a headwind so this needs a little more planning
- so is water resistance, not that I used to fly the M2P in drizzle either
- signal range is poorer - but I have found few occasions when signal > line of sight. Twice it's returned home after losing signal, which was fine (and you can pick up control when it returns into range)
- I have had to learn hand launch/landing because the little thing has such stumpy legs that it ends up cutting grass almost everywhere I launch it

I had a bit of a surprise at how quickly the Mini 3 Pro will overheat when powered up on a desk (as it has no cooling fan), but a small desk fan fixed that.

Overall this is one of the rare cases where downgrading produces a far better experience.

I too did exactly what you propose to do. I have owned the original mavic pro, the air and the mavic 2 pro with smart controller. Long story short, I very much like this mini 3 pro and the DJI RC and will not miss my previous kit. Especially because it is so quiet with a low frequency pitch that makes it amazingly unobtrusive combined with the fact it will be so easy to travel with from country to country, both physically and legally.

I too did exactly what you propose to do. I have owned the original mavic pro, the air and the mavic 2 pro with smart controller. Long story short, I very much like this mini 3 pro and the DJI RC and will not miss my previous kit. Especially because it is so quiet with a low frequency pitch that makes it amazingly unobtrusive combined with the fact it will be so easy to travel with from country to country, both physically and legally.
I got one!

20220715_133516.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead