DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Constructive Criticism Please :-)

bazlington

Reactions
All

I've posted my first Mavic video on Youtube. I used iMovie, shot in Auto and used the normal colour pallette. It was a really bright day and I didnt play with the ISO at all. Will this help in some of the shots that I found a bit glaring? For example, sometimes the sky was white as opposed to being blue. It was fine when I shot away from the sun, but sideways on or towards was very white heavy. Would an ND filter help this or do I have to change the ISO?

Anyway...take a look and tell me where I can improve.

Cheers

@bazlington

First (and this is without looking at the video) Auto is fine, but make sure you at least change your White Balance to the proper setting; Sunny, Cloudy or Custom (and set your own color temp) so that the WB wont change during the flight - which will happen if you leave it set for Auto.

If you are shooting to Cinematic reasons, your goal is to get your Shutter Speed and your FPS to be in the correct ratio: for instance, if you are shooting at 24 FPS then your Shutter Speed will need to be 1/50, with the ISO set to 100. This will not happen during sunlight hours without the use of an ND filter. What this will give is a more natural motion blur.

As we head into summer, the skies will start to be washed out even with ND filters. Wait and shoot in the late afternoon, or mornings. Flying to the sun will have a tendency to wash out the sky and colors. Avoid it if possible.

It comes down to what you want from the footage and why you are shooting. What looks good to you? If you do not plan on doing any color grading, then look at the different color profiles available. See if one has a look you like and use it.

And one other thing, when just testing, no need to shoot 4K. I generally test at 2K. If I am just referencing some of the color profiles, 1080. I always shoot at 24FPS unless I am merging footage with a different camera which shoots only at 30FPS.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78