DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controlled airspace near an airport...but not.

mallga00

Reactions
I live near a nuclear powerplant and 3 airports. I see the restricted on the nuke plant and 2 airports. The third one is a grass runway and is in use. I am wondering why that would not be restricted in the software. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Not 100% sure about the USA, but I imagine it's similar to many western airspace / airport rules.
Here we have restricted controlled airspace / airports, generally these have a full time manned tower when flights are happening.
Then we have uncontrolled airports, usually small aircraft strips where light planes can land and take off almost anytime (usually day time).
We can fly the latter with the following guidelines, (off the top off my head) . . . you must avoid manned aircraft, lower your drone / land safely as soon as you might become aware of any aircraft activity in the area.
Something to that effect.

I live near a nuclear powerplant and 3 airports. I see the restricted on the nuke plant and 2 airports. The third one is a grass runway and is in use. I am wondering why that would not be restricted in the software. Any thoughts? Thanks!
From your description of a nuclear power plant and two major airports in your vicinity you must be located in SE Pennsylvania. If the small airfield is in Class G airspace it will not require clearance to fly near it, but as stated by @MAvic_South_Oz you must fly <=400 feet AGL, maintain VLOS, and yield right of way to any manned aircraft.

I strongly suggest to anyone flying near small active airports in Class G airspace to study the approach and departure patterns for these types of airfields. It will make you aware of where aircraft are likely to be depending on wind direction and your location relative to the airfield.

From your description of a nuclear power plant and two major airports in your vicinity you must be located in SE Pennsylvania. If the small airfield is in Class G airspace it will not require clearance to fly near it, but as stated by @MAvic_South_Oz you must fly <=400 feet AGL, maintain VLOS, and yield right of way to any manned aircraft.

I strongly suggest to anyone flying near small active airports in Class G airspace to study the approach and departure patterns for these types of airfields. It will make you aware of where aircraft are likely to be depending on wind direction and your location relative to the airfield.
Thanks and yes, SE PA....Oh and I forgot a major gas pipeline and the 'pipeline plane' flies over my house for pipe inspection....THAT is scary because it flies low enough that I can make out the pilot...You can hear it coming and I make sure I am not in the air!

Thanks and yes, SE PA....Oh and I forgot a major gas pipeline and the 'pipeline plane' flies over my house for pipe inspection....THAT is scary because it flies low enough that I can make out the pilot...You can hear it coming and I make sure I am not in the air!
We get the same for natural gas and electrical about 600 feet away from my home in Michigan. Talk about intense pilots! They seldom look anywhere other than along their flight path and very quick instrument scans. Easier to hear when they use helicopters instead of fixed wing.

Reactions: BigAl07
I'm wondering just what the light aircraft 'gas pipeline' pilots can possibly be looking for so low, so fast, so fleeting in what they'd see ??
Surely if a pipe is missing or broken they'd know about it in some other way.

I would have thought a winged autonomous drone would be ideal for much lower and slightly slower observation.

I'm wondering just what the light aircraft 'gas pipeline' pilots can possibly be looking for so low, so fast, so fleeting in what they'd see ??
Surely if a pipe is missing or broken they'd know about it in some other way.

I would have thought a winged autonomous drone would be ideal for much lower and slightly slower observation.
I think the 'gas' is natural gas. I've been told they are looking for leaks and possibly people tampering with it. It is underground so I guess if someone is digging? They sent paperwork saying if it leaks you might see a dust/dirt 'guizer' . I was also told that if it ever blew up it would take out my neighbor's house but not mine based on its location relative to my house...comforting...

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I don’t think the pilots are looking for anything except something major and quite obvious. I’m sure they are using some type of sensors/cameras mounted to the aircraft and recording the results.

I'm wondering just what the light aircraft 'gas pipeline' pilots can possibly be looking for so low, so fast, so fleeting in what they'd see ??...............
Talking with a pilot years ago about this and his reply: Any digging around pipeline or obvious signs of tampering or damage of pipeline.

We have a pipeline run through our county. It's about 2 miles from my property. About 15 miles up the pipeline there was a leak and it exploded. If I think about it tomorrow -- I'll post some pictures.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greg190