DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying within prohibited airspace?

marinsd

Reactions
I am in the process of getting FAA authorization to fly within my local major airport's 5 mile zone. Given the specifics, I have every reason to believe it will be allowed. My question is, do I then need to do something with DJI or a related app to have the drone itself cleared by DJI to be in that airspace (I understand the software may hold its own restrictions)?

I am in the process of getting FAA authorization to fly within my local major airport's 5 mile zone. Given the specifics, I have every reason to believe it will be allowed. My question is, do I then need to do something with DJI or a related app to have the drone itself cleared by DJI to be in that airspace (I understand the software may hold its own restrictions)?
I believe you first step is to take the TRUST which will answer the majority of the questions you have about flying near an airport.

The FAA abolished the five-mile rule around airports in 2019. Today, LAANC authorization is required for flights within the controlled (not prohibited) airspace around airports with control towers and services. Here's a map showing where LAANC authorization is available.

Prohibited airspace and prohibited area are different from controlled airspace. Getting approval to fly there is more difficult.

EDIT: These articles provide some information on the processes for the FAA and DJI.

Last edited:
Thank you, MS Coast. These articles pointed me in the right direction. My FAA approval letter came through yesterday. Since the date is in mid-June, I found that DJI only unlocks about 30 days in advance, so entered a date on my calendar in mid-May to request access from them. The FAA process seemed fairly easy, although it took several weeks to get my response (lesson to play well ahead in the future as I did this time). Again, thanks for your help.

Thank you, MS Coast. These articles pointed me in the right direction. My FAA approval letter came through yesterday. Since the date is in mid-June, I found that DJI only unlocks about 30 days in advance, so entered a date on my calendar in mid-May to request access from them. The FAA process seemed fairly easy, although it took several weeks to get my response (lesson to play well ahead in the future as I did this time). Again, thanks for your help.
I'm very happy to pay back some of the assistance I've received here.

You must have applied for something a little beyond a plain vanilla LAANC authorization. I'm glad to hear that the process went smoothly.

I'm very happy to pay back some of the assistance I've received here.

You must have applied for something a little beyond a plain vanilla LAANC authorization. I'm glad to hear that the process went smoothly.
Yes, because it was within the controlled airspace of the local (major) airport, I had to apply directly to the FAA. But it was a relatively easy process. Now, hopefully, the DJI unlocking process next month will be similarly smooth sailing.

Yes, because it was within the controlled airspace of the local (major) airport, I had to apply directly to the FAA. But it was a relatively easy process. Now, hopefully, the DJI unlocking process next month will be similarly smooth sailing.
LAANC wasn't available? I see your location is Marin. Were you requesting authorization for a 0' ceiling block at SFO?

Yes, the 0' ceiling block was what was showing in my LAANC app. I was just inside the area - about a football field away the ceiling is 50'. Again, I'm new at requesting authorization....

Yes, the 0' ceiling block was what was showing in my LAANC app. I was just inside the area - about a football field away the ceiling is 50'. Again, I'm new at requesting authorization....
If you went through the "manual" process to get an authorization, you probably have more experience with it than 99.5% of the folks here, me included. Let us know how it all works out.

…Now, hopefully, the DJI unlocking process next month will be similarly smooth sailing.
It can go pretty fast with DJI if your application is complete, but I always do some headscratching, even having done it successfully multiple times. Drawing the operating area on DJI’s map is always a little challenging.

*DO* attach your FAA clearance, draw your area of operations a little bigger and for longer than you will need (but still within FAA auth), and use very plain language in your request.

I submitted a LAANC request over the weekend for permission to go to 400' for 15 minutes in a 200' grid in SUA (Stuart FL). I was worried that the FAA might take too long to respond. They didn't - it was denied at 7:13am today with the only comment being "Never authorized." I thought it was a reasonable request - I said I was completely flexible as to date and time, and I just needed a few minutes for a photo or two at that height. It's well below pattern altitude, I said I'd use a visual observer as well as my own eyes, in a vertical takeoff and landing that never moved far from my position. Does anyone know if there's a trick or magic words to get this approved? Is it denied at the local level (control tower) or some regional FAA office? They didn't say that my application was incomplete or deficient in some way, just "Never authorized."

If you are applying for a LAANC within the grid's height you get approval almost instantaneously ...to go higher than the grid's max ...it can be accomplished, but does take longer...a few days at least, and probably more expeditiously if you use Skyward on a desktop, rather than one of the phone apps.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078