DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Massive Signal Issue RC2 with Video and Flight Log

bkushner

Reactions
So I do a flight from time to time a good distance from my homepoint (flamers need not apply). 9 years I've made this flight so I know all the intricacies of making this flight. I fly down to the subject I want to photograph. No issues. While photographing signal pops in and out based on my position, all normal never lose connection. However, as I started to return I started to get Signal Loss. Never does this happen ever. This signal loss and then in and out signal continued right back to the homepoint. You can clearly see I'm 30 feet from drone and I have 2 bars of signal. I Tried to disconnect controller and restart it but it wouldn't restart, it just hung and finally the drone landed on it's own. I restarted and signal was fine. As I've stated many times the issue lies within the RC2...This started the day I upgraded the controller. I didn't update the drone until 2 days later so It was doing this type of thing before the air 3 firmware update. Not sure my flight data will hold any answers but here it is.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

The video is here:

I can't speak to your signal issues, but what's up with the positioning/map in the bottom left going nutty? I don't recall mine doing that. Admittedly, I usually use the square map. I'll let the smarter guys chime in on the logs, etc. Sorry you're having this issue.

I can't speak to your signal issues, but what's up with the positioning/map in the bottom left going nutty? I don't recall mine doing that. Admittedly, I usually use the square map. I'll let the smarter guys chime in on the logs, etc. Sorry you're having this issue.
Yeah I was standing next to a metal fence which sometimes causes that. Happens near my car too.

Reactions: Desert Drone Works
So I do a flight from time to time a good distance from my homepoint (flamers need not apply). 9 years I've made this flight so I know all the intricacies of making this flight. I fly down to the subject I want to photograph. No issues. While photographing signal pops in and out based on my position, all normal never lose connection. However, as I started to return I started to get Signal Loss. Never does this happen ever. This signal loss and then in and out signal continued right back to the homepoint. You can clearly see I'm 30 feet from drone and I have 2 bars of signal. I Tried to disconnect controller and restart it but it wouldn't restart, it just hung and finally the drone landed on it's own. I restarted and signal was fine. As I've stated many times the issue lies within the RC2...This started the day I upgraded the controller. I didn't update the drone until 2 days later so It was doing this type of thing before the air 3 firmware update. Not sure my flight data will hold any answers but here it is.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

The video is here:
Quick question.... Does this happen with other flights, or only at the location in the video?

I can spot two visual clues to a potential problem.... The metal fence for one: and the massive lumps of magnetised metal that are all around where you're shooting.

Ship hulls get magnetised by travel and sometimes need degaussing because it can throw compasses for a loop. The compasses in both my birds are very particular about where they like to work properly. The Jeep Renegade I had sent ' em Norman Bates, as did certain metal palisade security fences. The control signal also proved to be a bit hinky at times when the controller was near metallic structures.

Quick question.... Does this happen with other flights, or only at the location in the video?

I can spot two visual clues to a potential problem.... The metal fence for one: and the massive lumps of magnetised metal that are all around where you're shooting.

Ship hulls get magnetised by travel and sometimes need degaussing because it can throw compasses for a loop. The compasses in both my birds are very particular about where they like to work properly. The Jeep Renegade I had sent ' em Norman Bates, as did certain metal palisade security fences. The control signal also proved to be a bit hinky at times when the controller was near metallic structures.
Yes signal issues are happening in other areas. As I mentioned in the video I have shot this location almost everyday since 2016. I also mentioned that I did another flight immediately after this with no issue. It's not the area.

Reactions: Felix le Chat
Yes signal issues are happening in other areas. As I mentioned in the video I have shot this location almost everyday since 2016. I also mentioned that I did another flight immediately after this with no issue. It's not the area.
Didn't listen to the audio, so ignorant of that point.

I've noticed a lot of the newer DJI birds seem to be struggling with range/signal issues after certain firmware 'upgrades'. This isn't something new... my one Mavic 2 (the zoom) got updated (2021/22) and immediately afterwards, the 2.4 GHz band was useless (it had been rock-solid immediately before). Didn't update the mav 2 pro and with that one: both bands are still 100%.

After that experience, I got well Leary about rushing to shoehorn DJI's latest offerings down their throats.

That update on the Air 3 was a Disaster, at this point I am planning on rolling back , I hoped they had another update to fix all that went wrong with it.

I feel like we're back to where Updates are Bricking drones now as their Sales Start to slow,

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Land on the Water, Search for UFOs.

Reactions: Joeblow
That update on the Air 3 was a Disaster, at this point I am planning on rolling back , I hoped they had another update to fix all that went wrong with it.

I feel like we're back to where Updates are Bricking drones now as their Sales Start to slow,

Phantomrain.org
Like a lot of really big companies, DJI concentrates on getting the next model out to the FOLO vampires instead of looking after their existing long term customer base who are happy to continue using reliable, well rounded and polished older products because they have been improved to near perfection (the Phantom, the Mavic 2's and the Air2S to name three which have all gone through the dodgy firmware update cycle already).

Phantomrain.org
How do I roll back? DJI Assistane doesn't allow that anymore..I'd be happy to roll back the RC2..Please share.

Reactions: GrayHornet
Could there be some other RF sources interfering with the signal to the drone?

Would those big microwave dishes emit enough RF in the same frequencies to possibly disrupt the signal?

As far as magnets sources, I once tried to take off from this one place and I kept getting compass errors. No matter how many times I calibrated, I couldn't get past it.

I was able to launch from elsewhere but it was a few hundred yards away.

Reactions: davidarmenb
How do I roll back? DJI Assistane doesn't allow that anymore..I'd be happy to roll back the RC2..Please share.
Sometimes, the only way is to buy another, still on an earlier FW version. New ones are still on the latest FW available at the time of manufacture. Once manufactured, DJI doesn’t update them.

• Love
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Sometimes, the only way is to buy another, still on an earlier FW version. New ones are still on the latest FW available at the time of manufacture. Once manufactured, DJI doesn’t update them.
Spent all day trying every hack , every Reset, and came to that same conclusion. Well done. !

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Reactions: GadgetGuy and Mrktn
So there is no simple rollback option,,,
No, although there may be some hacks out there that keep a repository of prior FW versions and an alternative interface that might be able to bypass the anti-rollback of the DJI Assistant 2 interface. However, DJI is making that next to impossible on the newest aircraft and controllers that are completely locked down.

Best option is to buy a new or used un-updated RC2 controller, and then sell off the already updated RC2 to someone that wants a fully updated controller, warts and all!

There is also certainly the possibility that DJI may eventually fix the issue themselves in another FW update, assuming the change was not intentional.

Yeah the reason why you’re probably not seeing previous versions on Assistant is because they increased the anti rollback value, to prevent people from downgrading.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Following this thread. About to order an Air 3, but concerned about 'locked down' controllers and firmware that cannot be rolled back - that's just not right. Firmware is released with a bug, so the user HAS to be able to roll back to a stable version. Oh, the calamity, dogs and cats living together, etc. Want to hear more from the subject experts.

When you look at the transmission data, does it stay below the 100 mark? I wonder if others are starting to have transmission issues on other models of drones. Are you in the US?

Hello, I'm on the fence, leaning very close toward purchasing the Air 3. However, this thread and some videos I've seen on YouTube are giving me pause for concern. I'm currently on the Autel Evo Lite+ and it's great once I get it in the air. It's the little things like charging the batteries (big pain), not having easy access to the SD card slot, and having to attach my phone to the controller. With that in mind, the Air 3 is very appealing, I just don't want to end up in firmware hell. Has this issue been resolved yet?

Following this thread. About to order an Air 3, but concerned about 'locked down' controllers and firmware that cannot be rolled back - that's just not right. Firmware is released with a bug, so the user HAS to be able to roll back to a stable version. Oh, the calamity, dogs and cats living together, etc. Want to hear more from the subject experts.
If you've been following along, a newly purchased Air 3 will not already be updated to the latest FW. Buying a new Air 3 and RC2 is the solution to the problem, not the problem itself. Eventually, DJI may fix the issue with the latest FW update. Then you can choose to update or not. Just don't update to the latest FW immediately after purchase.

Reactions: bonzo
Have not updated mine, thinking about returning it to bestbuy, on principle alone. 2 days remaining. Shady DJI.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acott