DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Visiting National Parks in West US, Flying in between (?)

Mustafa^

Reactions
Hello,

I am planning a 18 days trip to US, West side, visiting the most famous NP in the South as well as in the North.
The trip will start and end in San Francisco, and it is crystal clear to me the impossibility to fly in the NP area (and that is totally fine to me).

Anyway, since I am travelling from Italy I am wondering whether there are places that are worth visiting/fly with my Mini 4 Pro, so I though to ask
your suggestions. If you can, please be specific and consider that we are on a pretty tight schedule so will give preference to the places that
are close by the route we decided to follow

here it is the full plan of the trip, please feel free to edit, adding detours and available take off points

OVERALL TRIP SUMMARY
1) San Francisco CA
2) Yosemite NP CA
4) Death Valley CA
5) Grand Canyon (AZ)
6) Lower Antelope Park (UT)
7) Zion NP, UT
8) Bryce NP AZ
9) Monument Valley AZ
10) CanyonLands NP
11) Arches NP, UTAH
12) Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area (Utah/Wyoming border)
13) Gran Teton NP (Wyoming)
14) YellowStone (Wyoming)
15) Glacier National Park (Montana)
16) LeavenWorth River (WA)
17) Crater Lake (OR)
18) Pacific Coast Highway up to Big Sur (CA)

1) DAY 01 (Sunday Aug 11th): Rome --> SAN FRANCISCO, Arrive at 13:35 PM
Take BART Train from Airport to Downtown (The BART station is adjacent to the international terminal)

2) DAY 02 (Monday Aug 12th): SAN FRANCISCO City

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3) DAY 03 (Tuesday Aug 13th): SAN FRANCISCO --> Yosemite Park (282 Km, 4 Hours)
In the early Morning leave Frisco and take off to Yosemite national park (average Temp is 32/13)
TREK:
AM Mist Trail to Vernal and Nevada Falls 10 Km 650 mt, account 5 hrs
POIs:
PM Up to Glacier Point (By Car)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4) DAY 04 (Wednesday Aug 14th): YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK --> TIOGA ROAD/PASS (Highway 120) --> Lone Pine (CA)
(196 Km, 2 Hrs)
TREKs
Mariposa Grove (Sequoias) -> TREK of 5 Km 150 mt, easy)
POIs (on the Tioga Road, by car):
Olmsted Point
Tenaya Lake
Tuolumne Meadows (cozy river)
Mono Lake
Whoa Nellie Deli (Faboulus Hamburger)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5) DAY 05 (Thursday Aug 15th) Lone Pine California -> DEATH VALLEY (Furnace Creek 169 Km, 2 Hr) -> Williams, AZ (538 Km, 5.30 Hrs)
POIS:
- Furnace Creek Visitor Center (Map, Food, Water, Fuel)
- BadWater Salt Flats
- Zabriskie Point
- Dante's View
- Back to the Death Valley Junction (to leave the park)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6) DAY 06 (Friday Aug 16th) Williams --> GRAND CANYON SOUTH ENTRANCE (1 hr) --> PAGE (217 Km, 2.30 hrs)
- Initially Head to the Grand Canyon Village, leave the car at the parking and rent a bike at Bright Angel Bicycles & Café
- Follow the Hermit Road up to Hermit Rest's Point by Bike, to check the following POIs
Trailview Overlook
Maricopa Point
Powell Point
Hopi Point
Mohave Point
The Abyss
Monument Creek Vista
Pima Point
Hermits Rest --> Back to Canyon Village by Bus if at all possible
- Take the car and head to Desert View Watchtower (along the Route 64) by Car (40 Km), then go back to che the following POIs
Navajo Point
Lipan Point
Moran Point
Grandview Point

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7) DAY 07 (Saturday Aug 17th) Page --> LOWER ANTELOPE CANYON (10 KM, 10 MIN) --> HORSESHOE BEND (12 KM, 15 min.) --> LAKE POWELL (10 KM, 13 MIN.) --> ZION NP (168 Km, 2 Hrs) --> BRYCE NP (137 Km, 2 Hrs)
TREKs:
- Lower Antelope Short Trek (1.5 Km), consider a guided tour, by Dixie Ellis
- HorseShoe Bend
- Lake Powell
- Zion NP (Springdale UT), Initially from Powell Lake take the Hw89 but then From Mnt Carmel Junction Take the UT-9 Scenic drive to ZION West Entrance !
TREKS:
- Canyon Overlook (1.5 Km)
- Timber Creek Overlook (2 Km)
- Consider to take the UT-9 scenic drive beyond Springdale, to the East Entrance of the park
- Finally back on Hw89 toward Bryce NP, going through the UT-12 Scenic drive (Red Canyon ->
SLEEP IN Bryce Canyon Resort --- BOOKED ---

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8) DAY 08 (Sunday Aug 18th) BRYCE NP --> MONUMENT VALLEY (460 Km, 5 Hrs)
- TREKS in Bryce NP
Rim Trail (6 Km) Over the top of the canyon
Navajo Loop at the bottom of the canyon 2.2 Km
Queens Garden Trail (3 Km)
- POIs
Bryce Point
Inspiration point
Sunset Point
Sunrise Point
Rainbow Point
Then go from Bryce to Monument Valley (again through Route 12 and then Rt89->Rt98->Hw160) Here head to Kayenta, and follow Hw163 scenic route to Mexican Hat
Sleep in Goulding's Lodge | Monument Valley ---- BOOKED ---- 160$

9) DAY 09 (Monday Aug 19th) MONUMENT VALLEY --> MOAB (250 Km, 3 Hrs)
- Monument Valley
TREK: WindCat Route to West Mitten Butte (this is the only trek that is possible to do SOLO)
POIs (By Car):
The Mittens and Merrick Butte
Elephant Butte
Three Sisters
John Ford's Point
Camel Butte
The Hub
Totem Pole and Yei Bi Chei
Totem Pole and Sand Springs
Artist's Point
North Window
The Thumb
- Take the care and from Visitor Center head to MOAB city
SLEEP IN Moab: Bowen Motel ---- PAID AND NOT REFUNDABLE ---- 133$

10) DAY 10 (Tuesday Aug 20th) MOAB --> CANYONLANDS NATIONAL PARK ( KM, 40 MIN) --> ARCHES NATIONAL PARK (46 KM 35 MIN) --> Price (2 hrs)
- Head to Island of Sky (Section of Canyonlands NP), take the Grand View Point Road
TREKS:
Mesa Arch Trail (30 mins)
Grand View Point Trail (1 hr)
POIs (Overlooks reachable by car, from Visitor Center through Grand View Point, end of route)
Shafer Canyon Overlook
Shafer Trail Overlook
Mesa Arch Overlook/Trail
Candlestick Tower Overlook
Buck Canyon Overlook
White Rim Overlook
Grand View Point Overlook/trail
- After CanyonLands go back by car to Arches National Park (46 KM, 35 min), and you need to book the entrance
- TREKs
Sand Dune arch trail – 0,5 km (30 mins), Simple
Delicate arch – 4,8 km (3 Hrs), Moderate, nice to see the sunset from there
- POIs (By Car)

10) DAY 10 (Wednesday Aug 21st) Price --> FLAMING GORGE PARK (270 KM, 3 HRS) --> GRAND TETON NATIONAL PARK (400 KM, 4 HRS)
- Flaming Gorge Stop over: From Wellington follow the HW 191 up to GreenDale Junction, then turn left on the Route 44
- POIs (By Car) to Visit
Canyon Rim Overlook (Hwy 44, Rt.095 e FR373, coordinate N.40° 53’ 05.17” W.109° 32’ 47.34”) **
Red Canyon Visitor Center (1475 Red Canyon Rd. alias route 095, coordinate N.40° 53’ 30.10” W.109° 33’ 37.35”)
Dowd Mountain Overlook & pic-nic site (Hwy 44 poi 94, coordinate N.40° 53’ 49.50” W.109° 37’ 32.27”)
Sheep Creek Overlook (Rt.503, Manila, coordinate N.40° 54’ 28.87” w.109° 41’ 54.48”) **
From there you can go back on the HW191 and have Lunch at Flaming Gorge Resort (MArket, PicNic area and Restaurant) if HW 191 is OPEN
If HW 191 is closed, then continue on HW 44 and go ahead to Manila, to have lunch there
- After Lunch head to GRAND TETON NP, entrance from south is the MOOSE Entrance, here you find the Craig Thomas Discovery & Visitor Center
- BEFORE taking the Moose entrance and before the Jackson Airport, at the round-about take the Gros-Ventre Road up to Mormon Row (Typical Photo)
- Go back on HW191 and finally to the Craig Thomas Discovery & Visitor Center
- Go by Car trough the HW191 to the Schwabacher Landing (Nice View Point)
- Stop by the Log Chapel of the Sacred Heart (PicNic Area) with Toilets along the Jackson Lake
- Keep going along the Teton Park Road up to Jenny Lake (Parking and Visitor Center available), here you can take a boat to West shore dock or
go along the lake river by feet
- For now keep going along the Teton road up to Jackson Lake and Colter Bay
TREKs
- In Jenny Lake (from the West Shore Dock)
Hike to Inspiration Point
Hike to Hidden Falls
- In Jackson Lake
Rent a canoe (Colter Bay Marina) to go around the small islands of the lake
POIs

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11) DAY 11 (Thursday Aug 22nd) GRAND TETON NP (Colter Bay) --> YELLOWSTONE SOUTH ENTRANCE (Go through the South Ring)--> WEST YELLOWSTONE
From Colter Bay head to the south entrance visitor center of Yellowstone, close to the Moose Falls, along the HW 191)
POIs (From South to North, along the HW191)
- West Thumb Geyser (not spectacular, but just on the way)
- Drive West from West Thumb and just stop by Continental Divide
- Upper Geyser Basin / Old Faithful Geyser
- Midway Geyser Basin --> Grand Prismatic Spring (Take also the 1.2 Km trail to see the Spring from above) --> Tourquoise Pool
- Firehole Swim Area (Family bath in the HotSprings!)
- Norris Basin --> Porcelain Basin.

SLEEP IN One Horse Motel, 223 $, ---- BOOKED ----
Indirizzo: 216 Dunraven St, West Yellowstone, MT 59758, Stati Uniti
Telefono: +1 406-646-7735

TREKS:
Firehole Swim Area is located on the Firehole River, two miles south of Madison Junction on Firehole Canyon Drive. Two vault toilets are the only facilities in the area.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12) DAY 12 (Friday Aug 23rd) WEST YELLOWSTONE --> YELLOWSTONE North (Go through the North Ring) --> Deer Lodge
POIs:
- Yellowstone Lake (just pass by)
- Hayden Valley (Animals)
- Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone (Hike)
- Mammoth Hot Springs (brief walk)
- Lamar Valley (Animals)

After Lamar Valley Keep going and exit Yellowstone along the Beartooth Highway, a 68-mile section of US Route 212 that runs through the Beartooth and Absaroka Mountains, starting in Cooke City and ending in Red Lodge. It is often referred to as one of the most beautiful roads in the US, and in the middle will go through to the Beartooth Pass (> 3000 mts)

EAT: Hiker's Breakfast/Lunch at Roosvelt Lodge

TREKS
1) South Rim Trail up to Artist Point (4 Km, Elevation 85 mt), Start at Upper Falls Viewpoints Parking Lot
2) Mt WashBurn (8 Km, elevation 300 mt), Wonderful view from the peak

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

13) DAY 13 (Saturday Aug 24th) Deer Lodge City --> GLACIER NATIONAL PARK (4 Hrs) --> Going-to-the-Sun Road
- Keep going along the HW89 and Enter the Park through the St. Mary Entrance
- Take the Going-to-the-Sun Road (YOU NEED A PERMISSION AND A RESERVATION FOR THAT) --> vehicle reservations - Glacier National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
- Stop by the Logan Pass visitor Center
- Hike the Cedars Trail combined to the Hidden Lake Trail, up to the Hidden Lake Overlook (5 Km)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

14) DAY 14 (Sunday Aug 25th) GLACIER NATIONAL PARK (MANY GLACIER VALLEY)
- TREK In AM Grindell Glacier Trail (18 km f/b, steepness 700 mt): Consider to reduce the hike to roughly 12 Km, taking the boats through Swiftcurrent Lake and Josephine Lake.
- In PM go to Lake McDonald, have a bath, Rant a Paddle or a canoe

15) DAY 15 (Monday Aug 26th) GLACIER NATIONAL PARK --> Spokane City ( 470 KM, 6 HRS)
- TREKs:
in AM Avalanche Trail (6 km f/b)
In PM Leave the Park, head East to Spokane City, Initially on HW2, then HW35, HW9, HW28, HW200, HW135, and HW90

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

16) DAY 16 (Tuesday Aug 27th) SPOKANE City --> LEAVENWORTH (310 Km, 3.30 Hrs) --> BEND (502 Km, 5.30 Hrs)
- River Tubing in LeavenWorth WA

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

17) DAY 17 (Wednesday Aug 28th) BEND --> CRATER LAKE (Rim Village Visitor Center) (232 Km, 2.30 Hrs) --> San Francisco (667 Km, 7 Hrs)
- Brief Hike around Crater Lake

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
18) DAY 18 (Thursday Aug 29th) SAN FRANCISCO --> PACIFICA --> PESCADERO --> DAVENPORT --> SANTA CRUZ --> MONTEREY --> BIG SUR --> SAN FRANCISCO
- The Final Road trip along the Pacific Coast Highway (HW-1) overall 484 Km in 6 Hrs

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any Advice is really really appreciated, TIA !

Diego

I briefly looked at your itinerary, it appears you have your trip well-planned and seek to cover the the best half of the country as much as possible in such a short period of time; 18 days is pretty aggressive for so many places. Looks like a lot of driving and I think you'll find the country to be much bigger than you anticipated.

I would definitely bring my Mini 4 Pro since there are several goods places outside the National Parks where you'll be able to fly. Perhaps the other forum members who are local to each place can make recommendations. I've been to most of those places on your list but it took *years* not days. Anyway, welcome to America and I hope it works well for you. 🇺🇸

Have a wonderful time in America!! As a resident of California it is with a lot of regret that I tell you STAY OUT of San Francisco Do NOT walk on the streets alone and carry NOTHING at all on you(leave your wallet at home. Frisco has become so bad that major stores are leaving in droves because of the crime. Stay in a group for sure!!!
The rest of your vacation looks exciting and looks like you will have a fantastic time in the U.S.!

Reactions: MavicFlyer2
Have a wonderful time in America!! As a resident of California it is with a lot of regret that I tell you STAY OUT of San Francisco Do NOT walk on the streets alone and carry NOTHING at all on you(leave your wallet at home. Frisco has become so bad that major stores are leaving in droves because of the crime. Stay in a group for sure!!!

The rest of your vacation looks exciting and looks like you will have a fantastic time in the U.S.!

Chicken Little the sky is falling. DUH!!! Starting 2022 my lady after hearing reports of a huge increase in crime in NYC was reluctant to resume our monthly venture from the suburbs to avail ourselves of the museums, shows and restaurants. Starting 6 months ago we resumed our forays. Although I'd prefer to carry personal protection (better to have and not need ....) most venues have metal detectors and will not allowed you in even if licensed.
Chicken Little the sky is falling. DUH!!! Starting 2022 my lady after hearing reports of a huge increase in crime in NYC was reluctant to resume our monthly venture from the suburbs to avail ourselves of the museums, shows and restaurants. Starting 6 months ago we resumed our forays. Although I'd prefer to carry personal protection (better to have and not need ....) most venues have metal detectors and will not allow you in even if licensed.

Our experience has been, much ado about nothing as nothing had changed but the reporting.The streets in popular areas areas are crowded. Can't guarantee zero untoward incidents. We consciously use situational awareness (looking left/right and in windows to see behind and around etc.). We protect against pickpockets. Bottom line, don't look like a victim or present opportunities to make yourself one. Just be aware and ENJOY.

@Mustafa^, This is not a universally held opinion among Americans.

Chicken Little the sky is falling. DUH!!! Starting 2022 my lady after hearing reports of a huge increase in crime in NYC was reluctant to resume our monthly venture from the suburbs to avail ourselves of the museums, shows and restaurants. Starting 6 months ago we resumed our forays. Although I'd prefer to carry personal protection (better to have and not need ....) most venues have metal detectors and will not allow you in even if licensed.

Our experience has been, much ado about nothing as nothing had changed but the reporting.The streets in popular areas areas are crowded. Can't guarantee zero untoward incidents. We consciously use situational awareness (looking left/right and in windows to see behind and around etc.). We protect against pickpockets. Bottom line, don't look like a victim or present opportunities to make yourself one. Just be aware and ENJOY.

No, the sky is not falling. In fact, the sky is clearing over the long term. Here's a link to 24 years of data on major felonies from the New York City Police Department. Crime has declined substantially in NYC during this period.

In 2000, there were 184,652 major felonies. In 2023, there were 126,786, a 31% reduction. There has been an uptick during the last three (Covid) years.

Hello,

I am planning a 18 days trip to US, West side, visiting the most famous NP in the South as well as in the North.
The trip will start and end in San Francisco, and it is crystal clear to me the impossibility to fly in the NP area (and that is totally fine to me).

Anyway, since I am travelling from Italy I am wondering whether there are places that are worth visiting/fly with my Mini 4 Pro, so I though to ask
your suggestions. If you can, please be specific and consider that we are on a pretty tight schedule so will give preference to the places that

here it is the full plan of the trip, please feel free to edit, adding detours and available take off points

OVERALL TRIP SUMMARY
1) San Francisco CA
2) Yosemite NP CA
4) Death Valley CA
5) Grand Canyon (AZ)
7) Zion NP, UT
8) Bryce NP AZ
9) Monument Valley AZ
10) CanyonLands NP
11) Arches NP, UTAH
17) Crater Lake (OR)

Take BART Train from Airport to Downtown (The BART station is adjacent to the international terminal)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the early Morning leave Frisco and take off to Yosemite national park (average Temp is 32/13)
TREK:
POIs:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4) DAY 04 (Wednesday Aug 14th): YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK --> TIOGA ROAD/PASS (Highway 120) --> Lone Pine (CA)
(196 Km, 2 Hrs)
TREKs
Olmsted Point
Tenaya Lake
Mono Lake

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5) DAY 05 (Thursday Aug 15th) Lone Pine California -> DEATH VALLEY (Furnace Creek 169 Km, 2 Hr) -> Williams, AZ (538 Km, 5.30 Hrs)
POIS:
- BadWater Salt Flats
- Zabriskie Point
- Dante's View

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6) DAY 06 (Friday Aug 16th) Williams --> GRAND CANYON SOUTH ENTRANCE (1 hr) --> PAGE (217 Km, 2.30 hrs)
- Initially Head to the Grand Canyon Village, leave the car at the parking and rent a bike at Bright Angel Bicycles & Café
- Follow the Hermit Road up to Hermit Rest's Point by Bike, to check the following POIs
Trailview Overlook
Maricopa Point
Powell Point
Hopi Point
Mohave Point
The Abyss
Monument Creek Vista
Pima Point
- Take the car and head to Desert View Watchtower (along the Route 64) by Car (40 Km), then go back to che the following POIs
Navajo Point
Lipan Point
Moran Point
Grandview Point

7) DAY 07 (Saturday Aug 17th) Page --> LOWER ANTELOPE CANYON (10 KM, 10 MIN) --> HORSESHOE BEND (12 KM, 15 min.) --> LAKE POWELL (10 KM, 13 MIN.) --> ZION NP (168 Km, 2 Hrs) --> BRYCE NP (137 Km, 2 Hrs)
TREKs:
- HorseShoe Bend
- Lake Powell
- Zion NP (Springdale UT), Initially from Powell Lake take the Hw89 but then From Mnt Carmel Junction Take the UT-9 Scenic drive to ZION West Entrance !
TREKS:
- Consider to take the UT-9 scenic drive beyond Springdale, to the East Entrance of the park
- Finally back on Hw89 toward Bryce NP, going through the UT-12 Scenic drive (Red Canyon ->

- TREKS in Bryce NP
- POIs
Bryce Point
Inspiration point
Sunset Point
Sunrise Point
Rainbow Point
Then go from Bryce to Monument Valley (again through Route 12 and then Rt89->Rt98->Hw160) Here head to Kayenta, and follow Hw163 scenic route to Mexican Hat

- Monument Valley
TREK: WindCat Route to West Mitten Butte (this is the only trek that is possible to do SOLO)
POIs (By Car):
Elephant Butte
Three Sisters
John Ford's Point
Camel Butte
The Hub
Artist's Point
North Window
The Thumb

10) DAY 10 (Tuesday Aug 20th) MOAB --> CANYONLANDS NATIONAL PARK ( KM, 40 MIN) --> ARCHES NATIONAL PARK (46 KM 35 MIN) --> Price (2 hrs)
- Head to Island of Sky (Section of Canyonlands NP), take the Grand View Point Road
TREKS:
POIs (Overlooks reachable by car, from Visitor Center through Grand View Point, end of route)
Shafer Canyon Overlook
Shafer Trail Overlook
Mesa Arch Overlook/Trail
Buck Canyon Overlook
White Rim Overlook
- After CanyonLands go back by car to Arches National Park (46 KM, 35 min), and you need to book the entrance
- TREKs
- POIs (By Car)

10) DAY 10 (Wednesday Aug 21st) Price --> FLAMING GORGE PARK (270 KM, 3 HRS) --> GRAND TETON NATIONAL PARK (400 KM, 4 HRS)
- Flaming Gorge Stop over: From Wellington follow the HW 191 up to GreenDale Junction, then turn left on the Route 44
- POIs (By Car) to Visit
Canyon Rim Overlook (Hwy 44, Rt.095 e FR373, coordinate N.40° 53’ 05.17” W.109° 32’ 47.34”) **
Red Canyon Visitor Center (1475 Red Canyon Rd. alias route 095, coordinate N.40° 53’ 30.10” W.109° 33’ 37.35”)
Dowd Mountain Overlook & pic-nic site (Hwy 44 poi 94, coordinate N.40° 53’ 49.50” W.109° 37’ 32.27”)
Sheep Creek Overlook (Rt.503, Manila, coordinate N.40° 54’ 28.87” w.109° 41’ 54.48”) **
From there you can go back on the HW191 and have Lunch at Flaming Gorge Resort (MArket, PicNic area and Restaurant) if HW 191 is OPEN
If HW 191 is closed, then continue on HW 44 and go ahead to Manila, to have lunch there
- After Lunch head to GRAND TETON NP, entrance from south is the MOOSE Entrance, here you find the Craig Thomas Discovery & Visitor Center
- BEFORE taking the Moose entrance and before the Jackson Airport, at the round-about take the Gros-Ventre Road up to Mormon Row (Typical Photo)
- Stop by the Log Chapel of the Sacred Heart (PicNic Area) with Toilets along the Jackson Lake
- Keep going along the Teton Park Road up to Jenny Lake (Parking and Visitor Center available), here you can take a boat to West shore dock or
TREKs
Hike to Hidden Falls
- In Jackson Lake
POIs

11) DAY 11 (Thursday Aug 22nd) GRAND TETON NP (Colter Bay) --> YELLOWSTONE SOUTH ENTRANCE (Go through the South Ring)--> WEST YELLOWSTONE
From Colter Bay head to the south entrance visitor center of Yellowstone, close to the Moose Falls, along the HW 191)
- Midway Geyser Basin --> Grand Prismatic Spring (Take also the 1.2 Km trail to see the Spring from above) --> Tourquoise Pool

TREKS:
Firehole Swim Area is located on the Firehole River, two miles south of Madison Junction on Firehole Canyon Drive. Two vault toilets are the only facilities in the area.

12) DAY 12 (Friday Aug 23rd) WEST YELLOWSTONE --> YELLOWSTONE North (Go through the North Ring) --> Deer Lodge
POIs:
- Lamar Valley (Animals)

After Lamar Valley Keep going and exit Yellowstone along the Beartooth Highway, a 68-mile section of US Route 212 that runs through the Beartooth and Absaroka Mountains, starting in Cooke City and ending in Red Lodge. It is often referred to as one of the most beautiful roads in the US, and in the middle will go through to the Beartooth Pass (> 3000 mts)

TREKS
1) South Rim Trail up to Artist Point (4 Km, Elevation 85 mt), Start at Upper Falls Viewpoints Parking Lot

13) DAY 13 (Saturday Aug 24th) Deer Lodge City --> GLACIER NATIONAL PARK (4 Hrs) --> Going-to-the-Sun Road
- Take the Going-to-the-Sun Road (YOU NEED A PERMISSION AND A RESERVATION FOR THAT) --> vehicle reservations - Glacier National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
- Hike the Cedars Trail combined to the Hidden Lake Trail, up to the Hidden Lake Overlook (5 Km)

- TREK In AM Grindell Glacier Trail (18 km f/b, steepness 700 mt): Consider to reduce the hike to roughly 12 Km, taking the boats through Swiftcurrent Lake and Josephine Lake.

15) DAY 15 (Monday Aug 26th) GLACIER NATIONAL PARK --> Spokane City ( 470 KM, 6 HRS)
- TREKs:
In PM Leave the Park, head East to Spokane City, Initially on HW2, then HW35, HW9, HW28, HW200, HW135, and HW90

16) DAY 16 (Tuesday Aug 27th) SPOKANE City --> LEAVENWORTH (310 Km, 3.30 Hrs) --> BEND (502 Km, 5.30 Hrs)

17) DAY 17 (Wednesday Aug 28th) BEND --> CRATER LAKE (Rim Village Visitor Center) (232 Km, 2.30 Hrs) --> San Francisco (667 Km, 7 Hrs)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
18) DAY 18 (Thursday Aug 29th) SAN FRANCISCO --> PACIFICA --> PESCADERO --> DAVENPORT --> SANTA CRUZ --> MONTEREY --> BIG SUR --> SAN FRANCISCO
- The Final Road trip along the Pacific Coast Highway (HW-1) overall 484 Km in 6 Hrs

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diego
You have such a full schedule, I don't doubt you will have great footage at many places outside of the parks. You Tube features a lot of great places to film outside of MOAB. I am going to Moab in August and will be doing several of these outside of the park.
La SalMountain loop.
Shaefer Trail
Think of renting a 4 Wheel drive for these trails.

Dale
Miami

Have you been to San Francisco ? It used to be a nice place great food wonderful entertianment, It was the place to go! NOW universally Californians Stay away. The crime is rampent and you WILL NOT get help from the police. The homeless have taken the streets and the city workers now have to walk around with pressure washers to clean the human waste from the sidewalks.
I do not like to speak bad of a city and I am sure somewhere there is a safe place. (Alcatraz Island) to walk. There are few stores because shoplifting is legal in San Francisco. ( not legal really BUT you cannot stop or detain a Shoplifter there its called Kidnapping and they will jail you for it.
I can't speak for New York BUT as someone that lives a few hours away from San Fransisco I would feel terrible for not cautioning someone to stay away and then have something happen. I am sorry if this offends anyone BUT It is an honest WARNING! If you go: GO in a group and DO NOT stray down unknown areas.

Have you been to San Francisco ? It used to be a nice place great food wonderful entertianment, It was the place to go! NOW universally Californians Stay away. The crime is rampent and you WILL NOT get help from the police. The homeless have taken the streets and the city workers now have to walk around with pressure washers to clean the human waste from the sidewalks.
I do not like to speak bad of a city and I am sure somewhere there is a safe place. (Alcatraz Island) to walk. There are few stores because shoplifting is legal in San Francisco. ( not legal really BUT you cannot stop or detain a Shoplifter there its called Kidnapping and they will jail you for it.
I can't speak for New York BUT as someone that lives a few hours away from San Fransisco I would feel terrible for not cautioning someone to stay away and then have something happen. I am sorry if this offends anyone BUT It is an honest WARNING! If you go: GO in a group and DO NOT stray down unknown areas.

To those visiting our country, these opinions and fears are not held by everyone in the United States. My California friends feel quite differently.

Reactions: Torque
Hello,

OVERALL TRIP SUMMARY
1) San Francisco CA
2) Yosemite NP CA
4) Death Valley CA
5) Grand Canyon (AZ)
7) Zion NP, UT
8) Bryce NP AZ
9) Monument Valley AZ
10) CanyonLands NP
11) Arches NP, UTAH
17) Crater Lake (OR)

TREK:
POIs:

(196 Km, 2 Hrs)
TREKs
Olmsted Point
Tenaya Lake
Mono Lake

POIS:
- BadWater Salt Flats
- Zabriskie Point
- Dante's View

Trailview Overlook
Maricopa Point
Powell Point
Hopi Point
Mohave Point
The Abyss
Monument Creek Vista
Pima Point
Navajo Point
Lipan Point
Moran Point
Grandview Point

TREKs:
- HorseShoe Bend
- Lake Powell
TREKS:

- TREKS in Bryce NP
- POIs
Bryce Point
Inspiration point
Sunset Point
Sunrise Point
Rainbow Point

- Monument Valley
POIs (By Car):
Elephant Butte
Three Sisters
John Ford's Point
Camel Butte
The Hub
Artist's Point
North Window
The Thumb

TREKS:
Shafer Canyon Overlook
Shafer Trail Overlook
Mesa Arch Overlook/Trail
Buck Canyon Overlook
White Rim Overlook
- TREKs
- POIs (By Car)

- POIs (By Car) to Visit
TREKs
Hike to Hidden Falls
- In Jackson Lake
POIs

TREKS:

POIs:
- Lamar Valley (Animals)

TREKS

- TREKs:

Diego
I went back and looked at your OVER AMBITIOUS itinerary and think you are biting off too much. Many, if not all of these parks and locations are multi-day experiences. A simple hike, for example in Grand Teton Park is a full day experience. Some parks are just drive-through and pull offs like Yellowstone, but you may experience long lines at entrance taking up precious time. You are not accounting for flat tires, etc. I have been to every single one of these parks as separate, stand-alone destinations. You are really short changing yourself by not allowing plenty of time for the hikes, which take up to a week to cover important trails, like in the Tetons. Most of these parks are HUGH, like Glacier, and take many hours to cross. Glacier is always very crowded, with full parking lots and pull offs all day long. To think of your foolish plans to cover all of this ground in 18 days is a pipe dream.

Tip: spend some money on the visitors pass which allows your entry into all parks for a single sum. I do not know if you need to be a US citizen, but you can check it online.

Dale
Miami

Reactions: Moozer
You might want to consider the distances between your various destinations. You will be driving a lot and will not have much time to experience the places on your list. Many are bigger than you realize. Death Valley, for instance is about 200 miles wide and 400 miles long. My wife and I have spent weeks there and have not seen everything. Death Valley in the summer is much hotter than people realize and most people stay away in the summer. Same goes for Canyonlands. The roads there barely get into the park.

Reactions: Moozer
You might want to consider the distances between your various destinations. You will be driving a lot and will not have much time to experience the places on your list. Many are bigger than you realize. Death Valley, for instance is about 200 miles wide and 400 miles long. My wife and I have spent weeks there and have not seen everything. Death Valley in the summer is much hotter than people realize and most people stay away in the summer. Same goes for Canyonlands. The roads there barely get into the park.
Your itinerary is way over ambitious and impossible to achieve. You are talking about Hugh driving distances, huge crowds, very little if any time at all at each park....a total disaster. We in the US have the luxury of going to one or two parks in a two week vacation! You are dreaming if you think you can achieve that itinerary.

Lastly, stay the hell out of SFO. It is a dumpster fire filled with the homeless, feces on the sidewalks, shuttered store, crime, etc.

An AI search for the safest places to visit in San Francisco yielded the following:
"Which parts of San Francisco are the safest? The safest are Union Square, Nob Hill, Pacific Heights, North Beach, The Castro, The Presidio, and Japantown.Mar 17, 2024"

I went back and looked at your OVER AMBITIOUS itinerary and think you are biting off too much. Many, if not all of these parks and locations are multi-day experiences. A simple hike, for example in Grand Teton Park is a full day experience. Some parks are just drive-through and pull offs like Yellowstone, but you may experience long lines at entrance taking up precious time. You are not accounting for flat tires, etc. I have been to every single one of these parks as separate, stand-alone destinations. You are really short changing yourself by not allowing plenty of time for the hikes, which take up to a week to cover important trails, like in the Tetons. Most of these parks are HUGH, like Glacier, and take many hours to cross. Glacier is always very crowded, with full parking lots and pull offs all day long. To think of your foolish plans to cover all of this ground in 18 days is a pipe dream.

Tip: spend some money on the visitors pass which allows your entry into all parks for a single sum. I do not know if you need to be a US citizen, but you can check it online.

Dale
Miami
Dale has a good point. Many people see the National Parks in a 'if it's Tuesday it must be Belgium' fashion. They drive up to the scenic viewpoint, take a few photos, and then they are off to the next experience. If it isn't too late to change, consider simplifying your itinerary. You have made many excellent choices, but it is too much driving. Pick either California, Utah/Arizona, or Wyoming/Montana. You'll still have more than you can do in three weeks. Give yourself time to walk away from the pullouts and really experience a wild area that is different from what you can find in Europe. You won't see nature unless you are willing to hike. There are also many National Forest areas and State Parks where it is legal to fly your drone.

I've lived in San Francisco, and I still visit several times a year. I have friends who still live there. It is a fantastic city that has become a political punching bag. I will say that there are more homeless people in the city now than when I lived there. I have experienced pickpocket and petty theft attempts in cities like Barcelona or Milan. In San Francisco I have only had a couple of car break-in thefts when I was careless and left something visible in my car. That is a bad idea anywhere. Use common sense, and you should be fine. You don't need a car in the city. Parking is also expensive. If you decide to see the city, take Bart or Taxi/Uber, then rent your car when you depart.

No, the sky is not falling. In fact, the sky is clearing over the long term. Here's a link to 24 years of data on major felonies from the New York City Police Department. Crime has declined substantially in NYC during this period.

In 2000, there were 184,652 major felonies. In 2023, there were 126,786, a 31% reduction. There has been an uptick during the last three (Covid) years.

The flaw in that data is the changes in definitions/classification of "major felonies" over that 24 year period. Change everything to "misdemeanor" and viola, just fixed the crime rates. 😉

Reactions: Cafguy
Hi Diego,
Wow. I won't join in the debate re city safety and crime, however I will agree that your itinerary is overly ambitious. Checking mileage, as someone suggested, is a good place to start. I doubt you want to be racing from one site to the next just to check off boxes on your spreadsheet. You'll probably want to enjoy and savor places. As painful as it is, I'd recommend cutting back on the places you want to see. I know this is extremely hard especially if you don't know if you're ever coming back. I face a similar challenge when our family visited Italy just before COVID. I thought I was ruthless in editing down my expectations and although we had a great time I should have edited a little more. For instance, Riomaggiore was amazing but I wish I had more time in Florence. Please consider re-evaluating your plans... either way I hope you have an amazing trip.
Ps. I assume you have downloaded the app that tells you where you can/cannot fly in the U.S.

Reactions: MS Coast
Dear Friends,

Thank you all for the great suggestions and even for the warnings regarding SFO (I will keep everything in mind, and try my best to stay safe).
Of course I already know I will not be able to visit all the places i have listed in my, correctly claimed, overly ambitious plan. In facts will be totally satisfied IF we will be able to see half of the above listed places. I see this more as an exploratory adventure just to notice the places we will love most, so to be able to come back there in the future to taste them in depth. However, I do not want to run all over US like crazy so I will be reconsider the itinerary making that significantly shorter.

And...I will bring the Mini 4 with me of course ;-)

I agree with previous commentors that you have a very detailed plan. Honestly though, I think you are really trying to pack in way, way, way too much to see. Slow down and enjoy the scenery. I bet you could cut half of your planned stops and still be too rushed.

That said, I am sure there will be plenty of places (outside of National Parks and some State Parks) that you will be permitted to fly legally. Not sure you will have the time to do so however ;-)

• Haha
Reactions: Mustafa^
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inou