DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Visiting national parks in the South West

AirStag

Reactions
I'm going on a photography trip to about 8 national parks next month; visiting Arizona, Utah and New Mexico. I know I can't fly in national parks, but there have to be lots of cool sights outside the parks, right? I'm trying to decide if I should bother to take my drone. Anyone have advice/suggestions for me?? TIA

I brought a good DSLR camera a few years ago when I went, I was on a tour, so it would have been tough to set up the drone, but if you are driving yourself the scenery is beautiful beyond description and you should be able to find spots to pull off the road and get some good stuff....have a great trip 👍

Reactions: AirStag
I took the Mini 3 Pro to CO, NM, UT, and AZ last year. The National Parks are definitely off limits. No complaints. There were other opportunities to fly that made having the drone worthwhile. Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park in Utah required a small fee, $5 or $10, for a permit. It was well worth that to shoot the stunning sunsets. I also flew on BLM lands where we camped and other public places.

I'm going on a photography trip to about 8 national parks next month; visiting Arizona, Utah and New Mexico. I know I can't fly in national parks, but there have to be lots of cool sights outside the parks, right? I'm trying to decide if I should bother to take my drone. Anyone have advice/suggestions for me?? TIA
The thing is if you don’t take your drone and then you find places where you can legally fly you are going to be disappointed. Better to have your drone in your bag than not take it, cheers Len

Reactions: AirStag and Starz
FYI

I live in Flagstaff Arizona.

9. The use of Drones is Prohibited on the Navajo Nation. Visitor will be asked to Disable drone or NNPRD will Deactivate and Confiscate device.

Backcountry Hiking/Camping Permits

See section on Backcountry Use Rules & Regulations

You can fly in the Vermilion National Park that includes White Pockets but not Coyote Buttes where the Wave is. When flying in this area watch out for wilderness areas.

There are Bald Eagle Breeding Area restrictions on most of the bodies of water in Arizona but this is seasonal any you may get permission to fly there by contacting the Arizona Game and Fish Department.

FYI

9. The use of Drones is Prohibited on the Navajo Nation. Visitor will be asked to Disable drone or NNPRD will Deactivate and Confiscate device.

You can fly in the Vermilion National Park that includes White Pockets but not Coyote Buttes where the Wave is. When flying in this area watch out for wilderness areas.

There are Bald Eagle Breeding Area restrictions on most of the bodies of water in Arizona but this is seasonal any you may get permission to fly there by contacting the Arizona Game and Fish Department.
If you're on the Navajo Nation, what is an acceptable way to disable the drone? Is something as simple as removing the battery adequate?

Reactions: AirStag and Torque
If you're on the Navajo Nation, what is an acceptable way to disable the drone? Is something as simple as removing the battery adequate?
Leave it in the case/bag, in the trunk and don't refer to one. I would be more concerned with the "deactivate and confixcate" part if found disregarding the rules.

Highway 128 going east out of Moab follows the Colorado River through a spectacular canyon. Arches National Park is on the north side of the canyon for the first stretch out of Moab but I'm not aware of anything on the south side apart from a few campgrounds along the way.

There is a lot of BLM land in SE Utah where you should be able to fly. If you want a preview, search on this site for videos uploaded by Karl Decker. They should give you some great ideas. You'll just need to consult the several websites that display flight restrictions.
Look into Hwy 191 NW of Moab, then west on Hwy 313. Drive to the top of Long Canyon (immediately north of Dead Horse Point State park). Also think about the Potash road (Hwy 279) from Moab. Again, be aware of flight restrictions.

There is a lot of BLM land in SE Utah where you should be able to fly. If you want a preview, search on this site for videos uploaded by Karl Decker. They should give you some great ideas. You'll just need to consult the several websites that display flight restrictions.
Look into Hwy 191 NW of Moab, then west on Hwy 313. Drive to the top of Long Canyon (immediately north of Dead Horse Point State park). Also think about the Potash road (Hwy 279) from Moab. Again, be aware of flight restrictions.
Good info. I never fully understood BLM land...recently; perhaps things have changed. It used to be you could pretty much do anything you want on BLM land except build a homestead. Do they really have rules on BLM land that you have to look up first to see what is permitted or prohibited? Aside from the normal stuff like destroying things, super unsafe activity, etc. BLM land is Arizona used to a complete free for all, still?

Be sure to visit Dead Horse State Park. The view from that vantage point is as spectacular as any in the Canyonlands region. Early morning is the best time to be there.

Thanks for posting this link.

"The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) provides regulation and guidance governingdrones in airspace; however, the BLM regulates drones while they are on or immediatelyover the ground. When they are involved in any phase of take-off or landing, drone usersmust follow Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) regulations as defined in 43 CFR 8340. This means that you must launch and land your drone on designated routes only."

FYI

Hey @MikeeS is that road considered part of the "Nation"?...If you can't fly then bring a good camera, the views are just spectacular

Hey @MikeeS is that road considered part of the "Nation"?...If you can't fly then bring a good camera, the views are just spectacular
I don't understand. What road? The Navajo Nation covers almost a quarter of the NE section of Arizona and also extends into New Mexico. There is also a Hope Nation in the same area.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman