DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Couldn't shut down motors in RTH mode with hand grab

Palm landing is graceful and more predictable. It also makes the grannies wet when they see it in action.

Meh, I prefer the "grab them by the *****" approach. My casual demeanour is beautifully juxtaposed with the Mavic's tortured howls...which turn to silence in my hand.

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
If RTH was still active it's pretty much to be expected. The aircraft is still following an order to go up to RTH height and is only being restrained by your stick down order so it won't accept to land. You'd need to cancel RTH first to regain full control.

Dacarter, i had the exact same thing happen to me! Low battery and it went into RTH while i pulled her down wanting to do my hand grabbing magic. I was stunned when i saw that the motors reved and didn't stop when i was holding the left stick down. I freaked out and didn't think on cancelling RTH or hitting the pause button. Eventually the motors stopped by themselves in a very weird way, somewhat veery slowly, not as usual. I'll be sure to cancel RTH next time when this happens. VPS sensors on and i am on firmware 500.

my Mavic never landed on the ground but in my hand
what I do before grabing is simply switch to sport mode then grab then left stick stricly down with no side movment and everything is fine.

think to go on sport mode with the switch and you will be always fine

my Mavic never landed on the ground but in my hand
what I do before grabing is simply switch to sport mode then grab then left stick stricly down with no side movment and everything is fine.

think to go on sport mode with the switch and you will be always fine
For what reason do you recommend switching to Sport mode before hand catching?

Just disable Landing Protection.
So easy now to bring Drone in at just under head height, come up from behind as it hovers. Grab hold of the body underneath and pull left stick back. Shuts off without trying to fly away.
The reason it revs madly is that it thinks your hand is the ground coming up fast so it try's to rise to a safe distance.

Because sport mode disable obstacle avoidance and downward vision positioning
I was told like this for the ease and since I did like this

Hand catch mine quite regualy and yes the motors do rev up at first but with a firm hold and lrft stick stickdown it doesent take to long and the motors shut down the first time i did it it was a bit scary but now it is normal to me

Sport mode disables front and landing obstacle avoidance - sounds like a good idea to me. Will give it a try.

Because sport mode disable obstacle avoidance and downward vision positioning
I was told like this for the ease and since I did like this
But Sport Mode only disables the forward sensors, it doesn't disable the VPS or Landing Protection. If you want to prevent the Mavic from trying to fly up, you just need to disable Landing Protection. And I prefer to leave VPS on so that the Mavic hovers in place better.

@collins

But Sport Mode only disables the forward sensors, it doesn't disable the VPS or Landing Protection. If you want to prevent the Mavic from trying to fly up, you just need to disable Landing Protection. And I prefer to leave VPS on so that the Mavic hovers in place better.

@collins
Is that right? I was going from the Mavic user manual that shows....

Clipboard Image (110).jpg

Is that right? I was going from the Mavic user manual that shows....

View attachment 14105
I believe that's a misprint in the manual. In other parts of the manual regarding Sport Mode, the downward sensors aren't mentioned. I also tested this myself a few weeks back, bringing my Mavic down with full down stick in Sport Mode. The Landing Protection kicked in as normal, slowing the descent and eventually stopping the descent at 0.5m. That was on firmware v01.03.0600, I believe. I haven't tested it on v01.03.0700

I believe that's a misprint in the manual. In other parts of the manual regarding Sport Mode, the downward sensors aren't mentioned. I also tested this myself a few weeks back, bringing my Mavic down with full down stick in Sport Mode. The Landing Protection kicked in as normal, slowing the descent and eventually stopping the descent at 0.5m. That was on firmware v01.03.0600, I believe. I haven't tested it on v01.03.0700

Thanks... Yes it may be a misprint or things could simply have changed since the manual was printed - things move pretty fast with DJI.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54