DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CPL filter

If your image is "over exposure" then you did not set the proper exposure. A polarizer does not solve exposure problems.

Come on! Tell me I am so wrong. Polarizing filter is often placed in front of the camera lens in photography in order to darken skies, manage reflections, or suppress glare from the surface of lakes or the sea. See,.....clear up bright spots and make colors pop!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
Yes, but the CPL has to be rotated at the correct angle to get the desired effect. On handheld cameras they are fitted to a rotating bezel so the filter can be turned to achieve this. On a flying drone this is not posssible so it's debatable if they are of value. I decided it would be a bit hit or miss so went for a set of 4, 8, 16 and 32 ND filters instead.

Yes, but the CPL has to be rotated at the correct angle to get the desired effect. On handheld cameras they are fitted to a rotating bezel so the filter can be turned to achieve this. On a flying drone this is not posssible so it's debatable if they are of value. I decided it would be a bit hit or miss so went for a set of 4, 8, 16 and 32 ND filters instead.

Thx. You just knocked me down a peg [emoji52]

Sent from [emoji211]

If your image is "over exposure" then you did not set the proper exposure. A polarizer does not solve exposure problems.
Even on my SLR I have never put any kind of polarizer on that didn't knock it down in the realm of two stops.

Yes that is called "Under Exposed", you have to correct that to get a proper exposure.
You basically said that you cannot use a polarizer to adjust for an over-exposure situation. You can, if it only needs to come down a couple of stops.

The polarizer will deepen the blue sky and show more saturation in the foliage. The ND or neutral density filter will stop down the exposure (darken) the image without any other adjustment. The main reason for using an ND filter is to allow you to slow down your shutter speed on very bright scenes. You want to make sure your shutter speed is double your video frame rate for the most natural look. It's referred to as the 180 rule. Here's a short video that explains the principle.
How shutter speeds work when shooting video - The Video Mode

Maybe I'm being a bit simple but why can't you find the position the filter sits at that gives the desired effect, mark it, then fit to the camera, since it's stabilised its going to remain at that same position?

The PL (polarizing) filters for the Mavic are linear, not circular. Circular polarizers, typically used on DSLR cameras are rotated for effect. The linear polarizer is fixed and does not rotate. I use the PolarPro filters that combine a linear polarizer and a neutral density (ND) filter. I use the ND16/PL on sunny days and the ND8/PL for cloudy days. You must make certain to purchase the most recent versions that do not interfere with the gimbal initialization so they cam be placed on the lens prior to start up.

Reactions: Espen W
The PL (polarizing) filters for the Mavic are linear, not circular. Circular polarizers, typically used on DSLR cameras are rotated for effect.
So people are not confused by your statement, many of the Mavic filter makers, including PolarPro, are also offering a circular polarizer.

When it comes to a Mavic, I don't know the benefit of a CP. The way I understand it, CP is typically used for SLR type cameras where light is reflecting at an angle from the mirrors used inside the camera. I can only assume the mavic camera is mirrorless.

There is a lot of good info in this thread on Polarizers, here is some general info to add:

Circular vs. Linear-Will have no effect on the Mavic, CP just means there is a quarter wave plate for compatibility with SLR cameras. Often this term is mis-interpreted to mean the filter can rotate.

Rotatable Polarizer: Rotatable polarizers have an outer trim ring that rotates when the filter is on the camera. The Mavic camera clearance is too tight for this design, so the polarizer needs to be aligned before installing onto the camera.

A polarizer filter helps by reducing glare and increasing color saturation, some people love polarizers, some people prefer to just use ND's.
It is all relative to the look you are going for.

Aligning the polarizer

When production value needs to be high: I will align the polarizer for each specific shot. Workflow: Align Polarizer, take off, get shot, land. This process takes some time, but when I need my production value to be perfect, this is the way to make your content look that much better.

When recreationally flying: I will point the camera 90 degrees away from the sun, and align the polarizer, then fly. This will reduce most glare, and still increase color saturation.

My favorite Polarizers to fly are our ND/PL filters in the Cinema Series Vivid Collection:
DJI Mavic Filters - Cinema Series - Vivid Collection

Let me know if you guys have any other questions!
-Jeff from PolarPro

I use the 5$ filter from ebay but sometimes its give me a gimbal error ....you can put it after the self setup

Thanks Jeff. I am a big fan of your product. Appreciate the clarification. And thanks for pointing out the effectiveness of the polarizer is only when operating perpendicular to the Sun to achieve the deep blue sky.

I like how it cuts down on reflections on water and glass.

I got 4 filters from freewell gear including a polarising filter

Tried it the other day, worked pretty good nice clear water shots, what do you think?

I got 4 filters from freewell gear including a polarising filter

Tried it the other day, worked pretty good nice clear water shots, what do you think?

Nice vid,

What filter were you using for the video and what settings?.

"el guapo", is that a reference to the 3 amigos?

Was the freewell gear CPL. I am going to also buy some Polar Pro filters to see how they go.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xyggi