DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed my Mavic (pilot error)

integlikewhoa

Reactions
Well after a lot of flights my precheck list is now getting longer due to human error.

I forgot to lock the left frot leg fully out and it folded back in after lift off. I was taking some pictures with a camera of my new filters and gimbal housing from the side a bit. The front leg was in the way of the shot and I partially folded it back a bit for the photo. I actually picked up the mavic (photo was taken on a tool box) and moved it out to the ground without a problem or noticing the problem. But 5 secs after lift off the leg folded back and the rear prop came in contact with the front leg causing a loud noise of repeated prop strikes then a sudden stop of the prop and a flip to the ground from around 5ft up where it landed upside down. Besides some road rash and a new prop in the rear the rest checks out fine and has been flown since.

Lesson make sure the legs are locked in the fully outward position before taking off.

Now for your enjoyment.

20170330_082735.jpg This is one of the photos take just before the crash which you can see the leg is slightly folded back for the photo.

Things like this can be reduced by using a flight checklist EVERY TIME. I learned my lesson when a prop came off on take off spin up, I got lucky it was not airborne first.

Mine is taped to the inside of my case....

Reactions: Mayoor-uk
Well, that's a new one. You found a totally new and novel way to crash. And doing that can't be easy given all of the creative idiots we have here on these forums. ;)
You are correct, that would be a difficult crash to reproduce.
Regards,
-d.

A real drag, man. Sorry for your luck, but a valuable lesson here to all pilots through your experience to NEVER take anything for granted when it comes to flying your drone. Check your legs, props, sensors, etc., prior to each flight; takes all of a few minutes once you establish it as a habit and routine to better ensure a safe flight and also to avoid a lot of problems and accidents along the way.

As mentioned here already, pre-flight, flight, and landing lists SHOULD be established - for me it's in writing on stiff card stock that I pull out for every flight - and then adhered to and checked off as you go about your business of doing your Mavic thing. Doesn't do any good having pre-flight lists if you do not use them!

Real glad your Mav did not sustain worse damage than it did, although I'm sure it sucks for you having any damage to it at all. That's how I'd feel being in your shoes, anyhow. Live and learn, y'know? Not a biggie. A lesson well-learned without too much of a price to pay for the privilege of the education. Like poster BorisTheSpider said, "Bet you won't do that again!"

Better luck in the future. Now it's time to go onward and upward!

View attachment 9569 This is one of the photos take just before the crash which you can see the leg is slightly folded back for the photo.

Nobody got hurt. Bird still flies. Your pride will heal (I had a pretty dumb crash when I was about 30 flights in - no damage other than my ego. Much more careful with my choices of TO/landing spots since then and switching back to P mode before approach.

Nobody got hurt. Bird still flies. Your pride will heal (I had a pretty dumb crash when I was about 30 flights in - no damage other than my ego. Much more careful with my choices of TO/landing spots since then and switching back to P mode before approach.

You DO like the Mavic's Sport Mode speeds don't you, AlanTheBeast? I can certainly see why. I've only pushed it a few times, but was impressed each time by the Mavic's flight dynamics, handling, maneuverability, max speeds, and just how fast that little sucker can get from here to there in a hurry. I really need to take a Sport Mode only flight with my Mavic just for an all out flight thrill and experience.

Thanks for sharing this - it is a good reminder how easily something can go awry. Have to admit I would not have thought to put that on my checklist!

Well after a lot of flights my precheck list is now getting longer due to human error.

I forgot to lock the left frot leg fully out and it folded back in after lift off. I was taking some pictures with a camera of my new filters and gimbal housing from the side a bit. The front leg was in the way of the shot and I partially folded it back a bit for the photo. I actually picked up the mavic (photo was taken on a tool box) and moved it out to the ground without a problem or noticing the problem. But 5 secs after lift off the leg folded back and the rear prop came in contact with the front leg causing a loud noise of repeated prop strikes then a sudden stop of the prop and a flip to the ground from around 5ft up where it landed upside down. Besides some road rash and a new prop in the rear the rest checks out fine and has been flown since.

Lesson make sure the legs are locked in the fully outward position before taking off.

Now for your enjoyment.

wohhoohhh... that hurts :(

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21