DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Critical Infrastructure?

Put the address into the FAA's UAS DATA Map. ArcGIS Web Application

Make sure you have all of the boxes checked on the Layers List.

Morgantown Lock and Dam are not official FAA NFZs. The area around it is not red in the ArcGIS map.

The airspace is Class D and you'll need LAANC approval to fly.

Might have to unlock DJI's geo fence too.

Your link says the locks is an Army facility.

Screenshot_20230129-035929.png

There are also laws in some states that attempt to control drone flights above "critical infrastructure." Texas is perhaps the worst, prohibiting flights over things like oil and gas facilities, railroad switching yards, certain dams, and a very long list of other locations. You can fly above these if you are more than 400 feet off the ground, but of course you can't fly that high. There are lots of questions about the legality of states making these kind of airspace restrictions. The National Press Photographers Association, for instance, has a lawsuit against Texas. I don't know about West Virginia, but its probably a good idea to check local and state laws so you know what kind of hassles you may be flying into.

Reactions: -MavicMiniPilot
There are also laws in some states that attempt to control drone flights above "critical infrastructure." Texas is perhaps the worst, prohibiting flights over things like oil and gas facilities, railroad switching yards, certain dams, and a very long list of other locations. You can fly above these if you are more than 400 feet off the ground, but of course you can't fly that high. There are lots of questions about the legality of states making these kind of airspace restrictions. The National Press Photographers Association, for instance, has a lawsuit against Texas. I don't know about West Virginia, but its probably a good idea to check local and state laws so you know what kind of hassles you may be flying into.
NPPA won their lawsuit last year. Those laws are no longer on the book. They were thrown out in April of last year for violating the First Amendment.

Mirian wrote a good article here: Texas Drone Law Struck Down: Restrictions Violate First Amendment Rights

I would try and avoid launching/landing from any area that is controlled by the Army CoE (parking lot, visitor center, adjacent parks, etc...), just because I think they have a no drone policy at their facilities. But that only applies to launch/land and not actual airspace.

I would try and avoid launching/landing from any area that is controlled by the Army CoE (parking lot, visitor center, adjacent parks, etc...), just because I think they have a no drone policy at their facilities. But that only applies to launch/land and not actual airspace.
ACE does have a bo drone policy, and it supposed to cover only flight operating from lands and waters under their control. However, some facilities play fast and loose with their drone rules by misquoting their aviation rules.

Kenji and I talk about that in one of our DSPA Newscasts.

I found a park on the other side of the river that I launched from.

Reactions: MA2 317

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne