DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cut motors to drop altitude fast

"Disagree. The Mavic will tumble. Nothing to do with ATTI mode either. That would imply that the aircraft was inherently stable and it is not. For it to upright, there has to be a weight/balance below the prop line to pull the bottom down. Until someone tries it (and eventually someone will) we wont really know."

As I said , It would definitely right itself if it could restart the motors . I don't care if it is tumbling in a free fall . If the motors can start back , the sensors will right the craft within a second or so .

How bout we just try it people... who has a refresh plan? Just contact DJI like 6 weeks prior to doing the stunt. Tell them you crashed. Let them spend a month spinning their wheels on our case and then CSC and see what happens?! Worst case, you're out of a drone for another 6 weeks. Lol

Reactions: rydfree and Aaron
Op's video? ur confused again wow

I cut the throttle to kill altitude on my syma x8 everytime i fly it. But for those who have no skill cuz they only fly gps drones it hard to understand a simple concept such as this.

Learn to fly before u post its a new pre req
I look forward to viewing your vid to how you managed this with the Mavic....

Don't know about the Mavic but my none GPS cheaper quads can do it. I used to cut the throttle to where the blades stopped spinning for a second or two and then powered them back up with no problems. I don't think id try it with the Mavic though.

Turns out u all are wrong haha!

This guy does it on camera... i luv it

It's not a Mavic, so the aerodynamics are different, but there's this...

EDIT: And I didn't read all the pages before posting. C'est la vie.

I am so glad I read all of this thread lol... I joined this site because of this post. You guys are hilarious... congrats on the win OP.

I remember way back before I got my P1, I bought a bunch of the UDI micro quad copters with orange and black blades. They were a great way to get the muscle memory for controlling w/o GPS or other sensors. What as interesting is on identical units, some would self-right on power up, others would simply drive into the ground. There was no difference is version or model number between them - even on the PCBs. Yet, on throttle up, if held upside down, it would immediately snap right-side up before hitting the ground. Others, if started upside down, would just pull straight down.

My UDI 818 was a monster ai that, I could turn the motors off even at 3-4 meters above the ground and recover it flawlessly countless times. The poor thing started eating batteries like chips just 2 weeks before my Mavic arrived, and somehow I miss it

You CAN switch off the motors to save battery during a descent.
You CAN relight the engines and regain stability of the drone during freefall, even if the drone is upside down.

It makes a lot of sense to do so given that the Mavic's descent rate is rather slow and you can waste valuable battery time getting the drone down. In the DJI app settings, the setting for switching off the motors should be set to "CSC Maneuver" as opposed to the default setting of "Emergency Only".
photo_2019-05-19_12-14-42.jpg

Once in freefall, the Mavic may spin and even fall upside down (example in my video), but from experience (and I've done this a couple of times), the engine relight will stabilize the drone really really fast. As a matter of fact, in my video, you can see the drone freefalling, and even it doesn't seem like it's falling too fast, with the naked eye it is much more dramatic, and by the time I've done the relight I was still quite high and could have pushed it further.

There's no flight data. The Mavic stops the current flight and once the relight happens, a new one gets started. The battery used during a +200m descent was <1% ∴ massive savings.

Obviously, this shouldn't be done above people or property. You should ensure that you won't have any obstacles that may impair the signal during the maneuver.

Another thing to point out is to keep an eye out for the Mavic in the initial phase of the freefall, but once you've committed to relighting the engines you should definitely be looking at the controls and check for RPM coming alive, once that happens you know the relight was activated because there is a little lag of 1s or so when you give the command to start/stop the engines.

Even though this works, personally, whenever I do it, I always assume 2 things may happen:
- The relight may fail and the drone is gone.
- The gimbal may not handle the spins and break.
So far, none of those have happened, but if it ever does I won't be that surprised.

Another thing I'm absolutely sure that can be of value to the Mavic in order to not only save battery time but extend it, is to build a malleable case that can be filled up with Helium in order to decrease the Mavic's weight. I've been working on a concept in my free time albeit it is not at the top of my priorities at the moment.

Last edited:
There is a video on this in these forums, and it was successful. Not sure where, I think it was in Photos and videos.

Ya i did. Did u need to post ^ ? Really? Did u rwally ;)

I had just seen a vid where one drained out its battery power at altitude and then hit the ground shattering. So this idea of a fast fall recover came to mind and I've seen race quads do similar things so naturally i want to know if its been done before jic i need to decide one day rather or not i have battery to make it back down. Or if its even possible to restart in air/freefall. Maybe sum1 accidentally csc up high & had to restart to save it ya never kno

E4taD|k litchi scurs me
I’ve done it with small racing drones and no gps but don’t know if it will work otherwise

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998