DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

D-Log, Compression and Dynamic Range

Todd Reimer

Reactions
I'm an experienced photographer, but will be new to videography. I've been researching as much as I can about what to do to get the best possible video out of your drone's camera. However, I've been seeing conflicting views on whether using D-Log is a good idea or not.

Example of video that is very pro-DLOG
Example of video that is very anti-DLOG

My gut tells me that without shooting RAW, that DLOG actually may cause problems caused by compression having to throw away more information unless the scene you are shooting is already very flat. However, I have no real world experience.

Any thoughts on the matter from you experienced pilots about the quality, sharpness and dynamic range potential based on the chosen method?

Thanks for your input!

Reactions: Dougie
As usual there's no correct answer as either method gets OK results.
Using one of DJIs own LUTS with D Log is a quick and easy start point.
When most output is viewed at 1080p on youtube the in depth analysis of histograms seems a bit pointless

I see Log as similar to RAW in stills which I've used for years, so prefer that regardless.
One of the worst things you can do is have sharpness too high when recording.
Everything else is adjust able within reason but over sharp start point can't be reversed.

The problem with D-LOG is that is used to be great... the Phantom 4 launched and everyone could get much better footage with it and the other DJI drones by shooting in D-LOG then grading the footage.
Unfortunately in the April 2016 firmware update (Phantom 4) DJI absolutely destroyed how D-LOG came out... it was muddy, flat, dull and posterised. They did the same to the Inspire X3 and probably the Phantom 3 series as well (I only had the Phantom 4 and Inspire X3 at the time).
Notice that any Pro-D-LOG views you get are from before DJI borked it or likely before they updated.
DJI did eventually try to fix D-LOG though it took them a few goes/months and it has never returned to what it once was unfortunately.

That said I don't recommend anyone NOT shoot in D-LOG, just that they use 1 battery and spend that battery recording some test footage in a few different color modes and color styles and then comparing that themselves using their own workflow.

Thanks for the input guys. i guess it's just a matter of experimenting and finding what works best. Coming from a photography background, the inclination to start with LOG is there. But, very fact that, unlike RAW, information gets discarded regardless of your picture mode makes things very interesting.

FWIW I find Logarithmic color response of limited use if there's not a lot of skin tone in your shot. It's nice for allotting more of the bit depth to the middle, where a lot of detail lies for human subjects, but these aren't portrait cameras. On the contrary, outdoor scenery has relatively huge amounts of dynamic range, making it less advantageous to prioritize any one part of it via non-linear response curve.

Reactions: Dougie
I am not real happy with the D-Log setting on my P3. From what I am seeing in videos about the Mavic is that the color profile is much different than the P3 or P4. I am hoping it will be easier to deal with in that aspect.

Having just tinkered about with some Mavic footage it seems to respond better to the Cinestyle LUT than DJIs own P4 option.
GoPro Protune to 709 is not far out either.

I too and somewhat new to video and have been thinking about the same issue. I'm hoping to do some filming in Antartica in January with my Mavic. This is a video from Phillip Bloom and he talks about the problems with D-LOG.

Comparison on the Mavic colour profiles. Seems like Casey agrees with Phillip Bloom on using the ART profile best instead of D-Log or D-Cinestyle.

Sent from MavicPilot iOS app

Comparison on the Mavic colour profiles. Seems like Casey agrees with Phillip Bloom on using the ART profile best instead of D-Log or D-Cinestyle.

Sent from MavicPilot iOS app

The latest firmware update tweaked the color profiles according to the release notes...I wonder if D-Log got any better.

Has anyone seen any LUTs for Art -1,0,0? I have seen and tested out the one from Casey for Art -1,-3,-3, but I dont like it and think it is too much. I have to back it off way too much, or just not use it. I want to use the Art -1,0,0 (with minor changes depending on situation)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21