DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dangerous Drone Flying

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Theres been no nuclear bombs let off by terrorists in a large urban area, yet the over powering security forces spend billions everyday trying to prevent this.... Surely this is wasted money? We should allow free access to all and let everyone do what they want, sure nothing will happen and if it does then we can implement laws, a few million people get incinerated but hey thats the american way..."

WOW sorry had a 'brain fart' and managed to lose any logic process in my brain.....

If you wish to continue along the line of saying nothings happened, go stand on the freeway, I'm sure the odds are you won't get struck by a car. Otherwise grow the f*** up and start being adults.

Reactions: Mike_in_Letcombe
This subject is an important one IMO and probably warrants a separate thread in the non mavic specific General Discussion forum. It's also a little cumbersome discussing "Legal" issues with people from different countries and continents but such is the nature of the internet. So be it. My biggest issue with "Drone" laws here in the states is that most of the discussion is based on faulty information and downright ignorance. I think one of the most damaging events was that absurd ad that Amazon ran a year or so ago showing packages being delivered by drones. We all know that this is compete fantasy but thats all they know. Combine things like that with equally absurd inaccurate reports of "Spying" and near misses with airliners at 15,000 feet etc etc. It goes on and on. Drives me crazy but again, this is all the general public knows. Simply stated, the general public are wildly uninformed as to the capabilities of and yes even the dangers posed by our hobby (toy) quadcoptors. Instead of blindly accepting this threat to another one of my personal freedoms, I choose to fight it whenever possible.

Reactions: UAV Man
This subject is an important one IMO and probably warrants a separate thread in the non mavic specific General Discussion forum. It's also a little cumbersome discussing "Legal" issues with people from different countries and continents but such is the nature of the internet. So be it. My biggest issue with "Drone" laws here in the states is that most of the discussion is based on faulty information and downright ignorance. I think one of the most damaging events was that absurd ad that Amazon ran a year or so ago showing packages being delivered by drones. We all know that this is compete fantasy but thats all they know. Combine things like that with equally absurd inaccurate reports of "Spying" and near misses with airliners at 15,000 feet etc etc. It goes on and on. Drives me crazy but again, this is all the general public knows. Simply stated, the general public are wildly uninformed as to the capabilities of and yes even the dangers posed by our hobby (toy) quadcoptors. Instead of blindly accepting this threat to another one of my personal freedoms, I choose to fight it whenever possible.
100% agree, some of us both enjoy this freedom and have invested thousands in it. Not just a 1000 bucks on a selfie drone!!

Sadly they probably are sworn "police". Another example of the post 9/11 proliferation of redundant police agencies in the name of "homeland security". Even the local school district police run around town all decked out like badass tactical swat teams. Thankfully they've started to disband/shrink some of these redundant departments here in Vegas.
Oh, they are PC832 sworn Officers, but they get their training at a local college and not a Police Academy for the most part, which means they do not get the abundance of case law, combat driving, situational awareness training, or tactical response training of a street Officer. (I am a retired 20 year Police Officer.) Even we on the force refereed to them as the "John Wayne' crowd, meaning the swagger displayed. I agree that there are way too many redundant law enforcement units out there as a result of 911. But by taking the enforcement load off of the regular Police and reducing both their workload and operational costs cities have cut the Police budgets to save money, so now the Police would be hard pressed to cover those areas if the private agencies were to go away.

This is the best part .. FAA isnt concerned over trivial issues... they have much bigger fish to fry !!!

Love how the drone police get their hopes up high... you all think your above the law (FAA) and they are idiots !!! No they are not.. they are a rational bunch of professionals who would like to get on with their jobs without being harassed by some busy nobodys.... Sheesh... again more rubbish.. I think the admin should close this topic.

View attachment 1831
The whole point here is that in most of these cases the Pilots were not breaking the rules, except for possibly flying over large groups of people. The area is NOT on the FAA no fly lists, or is the area banned by law, CalExpo does not own the 'regulatory' sky but they think they do. This is the reason they ware warned and nothing else. Clearly a case of Police over reach, not Pilot misconduct.

Reactions: DroningOn
Oh, they are PC832 sworn Officers, but they get their training at a local college and not a Police Academy for the most part, which means they do not get the abundance of case law, combat driving, situational awareness training, or tactical response training of a street Officer. (I am a retired 20 year Police Officer.) Even we on the force refereed to them as the "John Wayne' crowd, meaning the swagger displayed. I agree that there are way too many redundant law enforcement units out there as a result of 911. But by taking the enforcement load off of the regular Police and reducing both their workload and operational costs cities have cut the Police budgets to save money, so now the Police would be hard pressed to cover those areas if the private agencies were to go away.

Yeah, all "badges" are not created equal..... i've been pulled over on traffic stops three times in the last 10 years. Once by highway patrol, once by county sheriff in once by a city "constable". Basically a process server. In each case I had on my person or in my possession firearms. In the case of the highway patrol, I was heading back from the shooting range and had several rifles uncased on the floor behind me ( two of them were actually legal full auto but he didn't know that). He just looked back and smiled and said "looks like you had fun" and gave me a warning and set me on my way. In the case of the Sheriff, I had to open the safe under the rear seat to get my license and registration. There was a handgun in there as well which I told him about ahead of time of course. He just kept an eye on everything but could have cared less about the firearm. In the third case I was pulled over by the constable and he noticed that I had a holstered weapon on my belt. He nervously asked me to unholster it and hand it to him. I politely asked him if it was possible to leave the weapon where it was, that that was the safest place for it and to please go about the business of the traffic stop. He kind of sighed a sigh of relief and just looked at my license and registration, thanked me and sent me on my way. Undoubtedly, another "John Wayne" told him what he should automatically do when he saw someone carrying a firearm. I think this is what is happening with a lot of these "drone police" these days. Many of them think every time they see a "drone" flying around theyre told it's an huge Public Safety issue that has to be dealt with by detaining and confiscation.

Leave Law Enforcement to the experts please

Last edited:
Reactions: kykayak and F6Rider
c0f59a0a4ab110f5d0e7e8776f1257ef.jpg

Just another Mavic Pro Pilot [emoji20]

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

c0f59a0a4ab110f5d0e7e8776f1257ef.jpg

Just another Mavic Pro Pilot [emoji20]

Dji have a responsibility here. They know which airspace the craft is in. They should not allow the drone to go higher than 400'. Why give the option??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dji have a responsibility here. They know which airspace the craft is in. They should not allow the drone to go higher than 400'. Why give the option??

Because the 400' limit is not applicable for all users in the US, especially those with a 107 Cert.

Must still be controllable if they wanted to. Require licence info to be entered in the app or something. Or require a call with customer services to enable it.

It would not be hard

Having spoken with DJI they just point to the disclaimer..... Lol basically, send us your money we don't care.... False economy, more violations more chance of ban, no more sales....no more DJI

I have basically given up policing everyone too many idiots everywhere from people speeding in cars,drink driving,using mobiles while driving.

Drones will not be banned here in the uk the government will introduce training programs or licenses in the future even with that the idiots will continue.

Just like fireworks here still haven't yet been banned yet.

Must still be controllable if they wanted to. Require licence info to be entered in the app or something. Or require a call with customer services to enable it.

It would not be hard

Doesn't matter, it's completely unnecessary and there are MANY times where it would be illogical to have.

I have basically given up policing everyone too many idiots everywhere from people speeding in cars,drink driving,using mobiles while driving.

Drones will not be banned here in the uk the government will introduce training programs or licenses in the future even with that the idiots will continue.

That's a good point. You can do just as much damage with a box of fireworks as a small drone. And they're also more unsociable than the average drone, unless it's Nov 5th (uk)!

I think the introduction of 'registration' in the UK will be next with a tax to pay for a new drone task force..... ie. Drone Police.

He paid for it with a lost bird, he found it though. I have said before folks actually need to put this in perspective. His flight was ill advised .. but statistically not dangerous. Just isn't statistically dangerous. His distracted driving, holding TX out the window while looking at the tx and searching for the bird in the air.., that was actually more likely to be an issue than the flights. Not saying his driving was reckless I'm saying it is as safe as texting and driving.. which is exponentially more dangerous than flying over a building.
Thing is...he still hasn't learned. He asked a friend to do the same thing and they also lost a second drone...

Now people are asking what he's learned and his answer isn't "I shouldn't fly around heavily populated areas" he has no ability to realize that what he is doing can seriously hurt someone and most people who have a clue would never fly towards a city center, ESPECIALLY with the way terrorism is these days..

Reactions: Mike_in_Letcombe
Having spoken with DJI they just point to the disclaimer..... Lol basically, send us your money we don't care.... False economy, more violations more chance of ban, no more sales....no more DJI

You guys... because it's not a law, but a recommendation for hobbyists.

Why do car makers make a car that goes over 75mph?

Because you are an individual and there liable for your own actions. People break laws everyday. Car makers could easily make cars that don't exceed the posted speed limit with GPS data?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Q Jones
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member