DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Deck Launch from inside through Glass Door

grizzard

Reactions
Ok ... I proved it to myself. I can deck launch from inside the house where it's nice and cozy and fly a half mile without any warnings. I bring the Mavic back manually to the deck as the pad needs to be a little wider I think. This video is actually backwards so the what you are looking at is the landing here. For take off the Mavic is heading away from the house. The first time I took off backwards ... just in case I screwed up.

Reactions: dewster
So to clarify, the RC signal can penetrate a typical glass window no problem?

Details: I have a friend who is terminally ill and confined to a wheel chair inside his home. I will go outside, fly it, and then come back and show him the videos when the drone is back and disconnected.

I would like to sit next to him in his house, and operate the Quad with the signal penetrating through his glass window so he can see the images real time. I would make sure the controller is line of sight, and no trees, etc block the signal between the Quad, and RC.

Anyone know of any issues of losing the signal through glass?

So to clarify, the RC signal can penetrate a typical glass window no problem?

Details: I have a friend who is terminally ill and confined to a wheel chair inside his home. I will go outside, fly it, and then come back and show him the videos when the drone is back and disconnected.

I would like to sit next to him in his house, and operate the Quad with the signal penetrating through his glass window so he can see the images real time. I would make sure the controller is line of sight, and no trees, etc block the signal between the Quad, and RC.

Anyone know of any issues of losing the signal through glass?
I had no problems at all and flew about 1/2 mile out from the house which is about my limit for that. If you get a weak signal warning though .. come back right away, or stand outside, move the RC around and see if the signal improves. If not you can hit the RTH and then disable it as soon as you get close to home if you want. Initially I took off backwards thinking that might prevent me from flying into the house (which I haven't proved yet) but now I take off forwards. I have an extended roof so you have to take that into consideration when you construct a ramp. I would extend it further and wider the next time.

I can see it now, everyone is going to have little quad helipads attached to the railing of their deck. What am I talking about, I'm going to build one myself... and a little hanger... maybe put up a tiny wind sock and a rotating light.
:D

You're able to, or expect to be able to, do all of this while keeping the drone where you can actually directly see it?

You're able to, or expect to be able to, do all of this while keeping the drone where you can actually directly see it?

Actually, yes. Before you make generalizations, you may want to inquire about the details. My friend has a home overlooking the ocean, with a panoramic 20 ft wide window. It's a direct flight over the cliff and on to the ocean.

Regarding the question I had posed, thanks for the feedback. I'll give it a shot, and if problems it's only a few steps outdoors.

Reactions: grizzard
Before you make generalizations

I made no generalizations. In fact, I made no statements at all.

you may want to inquire about the details.

That is, quite literally, what I did: asked a question.

In this case, the thread starter and you are different people. I don't think it's much of a stretch for me to suppose that the two of you have different situations. You did provide details (for example, about line-of-sight), while grizzard didn't. My question followed multiple posts by him. I'd decided not to quote a post because I was curious about how people in general were thinking about this issue.

Reactions: MavicMoira
Ahh .... I could do that with ChromeCast if I used my Nexus 6P ... I think. Don't think my Galaxy Tab S8 has the right connections though.

Download the Chromecast app (now called the Google "Home" app) in your galaxy tab. Then in the app, you can connect to your Chromecast dongle and one of the menu options is "screen mirroring").

That works for all android devices.

My galaxy S4 can screen mirror my DJI go app screen to the big tv Chromecast no problem. So you should be fine.

Other idea:
Use the litchi vue app and VR googles (Google cardboard for $10 works fine) and it your friend will be able to feel like he is flying as you control it. (Disclaimer- i have never tried the litchi Vue, so don't know how well it works).

Finally, and off topic for a DJI forum, but if dude wants to feel like he can walk/fly, Google "Lucid Dreaming" and he can use the holodeck of his mind when he sleeps.

Good luck.

Download the Chromecast app (now called the Google "Home" app) in your galaxy tab. Then in the app, you can connect to your Chromecast dongle and one of the menu options is "screen mirroring").

That works for all android devices.

My galaxy S4 can screen mirror my DJI go app screen to the big tv Chromecast no problem. So you should be fine.

Other idea:
Use the litchi vue app and VR googles (Google cardboard for $10 works fine) and it your friend will be able to feel like he is flying as you control it. (Disclaimer- i have never tried the litchi Vue, so don't know how well it works).

Finally, and off topic for a DJI forum, but if dude wants to feel like he can walk/fly, Google "Lucid Dreaming" and he can use the holodeck of his mind when he sleeps.

Good luck.
Oh Wow .... thanks for that. I did not even know what Google Home was even for ... it magically appeared on my devices on day. Now ... can't wait to launch through my sliding glass door again because I have a 43" TV with a Chrome Stick (and a Roku) sitting right next to the door! One question ... as it is now when I fly, the video transmitted back to my Galaxy is always recorded on the Galaxy as well as the higher quality in the drone chip. So will the "Chrome Casting" to my TV affect the recorded visual viewing video on the Galaxy ... and .... affect the smooth interaction I see now? I know ... I will find out when I try but I always like to be forewarned. :)

Nice. I've flown from my deck with bare trees between my and the Mavic. No issues. I've also flown from inside of the car. Also no issues.

Reactions: grizzard
Ok ..... it worked and here it is. Mavic Flight casting to big screen TV from Galaxy Tab S8.

Reactions: Danno
As noted by others, the RC worked fine controlling the quad, while sitting behind a large window.

Side note about this Quad: The time I have spent using this while my terminally ill friend was sitting next to me watching the live vid ocean stream on an ipad was alone worth the price of the Mavic. I have known him for 35 years, and this person was a hard core waterman until he became ill, and confined to a wheel chair the past year. His house overlooks a cliff, over the ocean and as I sat next to him we looked at the birds, flew near some boats, watched the surfers. He enjoyed it immensely. Heading back tomorrow for more.

As noted by others, the RC worked fine controlling the quad, while sitting behind a large window.

Side note about this Quad: The time I have spent using this while my terminally ill friend was sitting next to me watching the live vid ocean stream on an ipad was alone worth the price of the Mavic. I have known him for 35 years, and this person was a hard core waterman until he became ill, and confined to a wheel chair the past year. His house overlooks a cliff, over the ocean and as I sat next to him we looked at the birds, flew near some boats, watched the surfers. He enjoyed it immensely. Heading back tomorrow for more.
Thumbs up for your generosity and compassion. The world indeed needs more people like you. Thumbswayup

Reactions: MavicMoira
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan