DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DENIED!

You should use the FAA B4UFLY app. It will give you the first indication of whether you can fly in an area. The FAA posted graphics on their website so that entities could make the sign that you encountered.

First indication... perhaps. It's a huge false sense of security. The flier would then still need to consult online information and probably 3 other apps in order to know if they can fly.

The B4UFly app is 100% crap.

I know that park and for the most part flying drones in any county park is forbidden......only Vista View and Markham are allowing drone flights in that region of Broward county.

How about Lauderdale Beach by the Yankee Clipper, at night? Just a couple stills, then land?

Reactions: Ebruce
Only a portion of the park is within the 5 miles of North Perry Airport, the issue is Broward County parks division only allow drone flying in just 2 of the county parks, (Markham and Vista View) and only in the designated area and you must be an AMA member because of the insurance

3579c73c0829780bb13a5482cf0dd491.jpg

I was told by a women in or our drone group that works for the Fed in land management that you can get a permit to fly in a national park. Just don't expect it quickly. I'll see if I can get more info.

I was told by a women in or our drone group that works for the Fed in land management that you can get a permit to fly in a national park. Just don't expect it quickly. I'll see if I can get more info.
Yep. You can get a permit to fly any aircraft (and remember folks, your little Mavic is a real, FAA certified aircraft) in a National Park. Just takes about a year, several lawyers, endless discussions with various Park Service members and quite possibly and Environmental Impact Assessment.

The whole idea in the US is that National Parks are protected areas. We won't get into the commercialized circus that they tend to devolve into but the no aircraft rule has been pretty inviolate (except at the Grand Canyon, oh well).

So the default condition for NPs has been a big no for UAVs. Personally, I think this is fine. Plenty of places in the US to fly. If I'm hiking on the back trails of Mount Ranier I really don't want to be buzzed by a Phantom class UAV. I want peace and quiet. Which you typically get until the Navy flies it's F18's over the ridge at 100' playing low altitude interdiction for when the North Koreans try to invade Seattle. Mostly I'm just jealous. I'd love to fly at Mach .9 100 feet over a glacier.

So, yeah, it's complicated and weird. In other countries, NPs have different histories and cultural attitudes so rules will differ.

From a fixed wing pilot perspective, I noticed that even though outside the 5 miles - that park is in line with the approach of the runways. However, my guess is that it's the specific airport & county authorities who have taken it upon themselves to restrict drones in whatever matter they wish. Since the air traffic control tower has the FAA's permission to deny an operation within 5 miles (which could be from the center - or the perimeter of the airport) - maybe they've told the county they want a blanket "no-fly" over the approach zone. At 5 miles, an aircraft on a standard 3 degree approach, would be at 1,500'. So, from my perspective - not a problem. But you know that the county & general public are all up in arms about drones messing with their peace, spying, blah blah blah... Until all the ignorance has had time to pass (like what the mountain biker community faced - and still faces - in parks) we'll suffer discrimination. It all sucks. I got permission in Washington State to fly at Cape Disappointment State Park (which is also known as Lewis & Clark National Park). I had to apply just to fly recreationally & got approved in two weeks. Here's the link to the post:
Washington State Parks Drone Application - Cape Disappointment

Reactions: RobP62
Just started a one week vacation! My plans are to simply work around the house and the yard and, to of course fly the Mav Pro at a really scenic park in Davie, FL.
I made sure all hardware was charged and ready to go --- shook my son at 7am as he was also really excited about the plans. We packed lunch and stuffed as many drinks in the cooler as possible.. Car charger-check / extra batteries-check / I-pad-check / etc....etc...
Paid the front gate admission and asked the guard if there were any issues with flying the drone there. He replied I don't believe so. All smiles from there.. 150ft later we were greeted by---->View attachment 10232

I should have known. .beautiful park but no dice!
What strikes me is the guard did not realize that this sign was a stone throws away! lol
either way we stayed and enjoyed the nature trail's...WIN WIN..
Really cool park to bring the kids too.---->View attachment 10233
Not sure about the distance from the airport but this is directly inline with the approach of the airport. You could go a little further west and fly out at Markham Park.

Google the county parks website. They banned flying in all but 2 county parks and then you have to belong to model plane pilots group & some other licensed group before you can fly in those parks. Not worth the trouble. If you find anywhere around here that is scenic and will let you fly let me know.

Reactions: Dallen
It's crazy to the think that Canada, US and many other countries I've visited don't allow drones to be used in big national parks... it's one thing i can stand up and say the UK has got right. The freedom to fly in all our national parks, I mean what better way to market this beautiful country? If someone has taken the time to get out in the wild, with no person or building in sight... why shouldn't they be allowed to fly a drone? Forget cities and urban flying.. I bought this drone to get up, out and into the wild.. guess the US, messed up in that sense...

Sadly, I dont think that is entirely true about flying in UK National Parks, the National Trust who own vast amounts of National Parks and many other natural beauty spots, historic sites, coastline across UK have explicitly banned flying drones on or over any of their land!
It is becoming increasingly difficult to find anywhere to fly drones in the UK and I sadly suspect it is only going to get worse!

Last edited:
Reactions: Soundtekk
Have not called as of yet. But I certainly will. I Will post the conversation as well..
this park is located directly in the flight path for fort Lauderdale airport. Even though it is outside of the five Maui airport range. Pilots at this point are preparing for landing and cannot spend as much time or attention looking for drones that may or may not have strayed too high or into their path

this park is located directly in the flight path for fort Lauderdale airport. Even though it is outside of the five Maui airport range. Pilots at this point are preparing for landing and cannot spend as much time or attention looking for drones that may or may not have strayed too high or into their path
This thread was 3 years old.

Reactions: dawgpilot

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillesdeColombes