DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dewarping on or off?

R.Cowan

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hello fellow pilots. I will be doing a large mapping mission ( 3200 acres) using Drone Deploy. I've seen mixed comments on this subject. Should I leave dewarping on or off? Appreciate your comments.

I believe when you use the dronedeploy app it leaves dewarp off. I read somewhere that the map stitching programs actually prefer the slight fisheye effect. Site on the other hand wants it switched off.

Reactions: R.Cowan
I was on the DD forum yesterday and I saw a couple of threads discussing PROBLEMS with Dewarping and how some projects were rejected and the solution was "Always turn Dewarp OFF"

Reactions: R.Cowan
I was on the DD forum yesterday and I saw a couple of threads discussing PROBLEMS with Dewarping and how some projects were rejected and the solution was "Always turn Dewarp OFF"
Thank you for your feedback. The last thing I want is to have to go back on a project this size and have to redo it. I am planning at this point to leave it off.

I believe when you use the dronedeploy app it leaves dewarp off. I read somewhere that the map stitching programs actually prefer the slight fisheye effect. Site on the other hand wants it switched off.
Thank you very much for your input. This seems to be the consensus to leave it off.

Before the Pilot2 app, turning de-warping off was not an option. The mapping programs use the distortion inherent in a wide lens to create the ortho-rectified image. Previously, the software had to un-warp the photos to a known distortion pattern before processing. So, you will have a more accurate final image by recording the photo without the camera correcting the warping/distortion. For the M3E, DJI calibrates each camera/lens at the factory, passing that distortion information into the photos.

1697948646777.png

Just picked up a new 3E for a large 2 year project I just landed. I will be using DD for data capture. Question about camera settings. Area is about 200 acres. First is should I manually set the camera settings or let Drone Deploy manage them. if I should manually set prior to flight, can someone please provide some insight on how/what the parameters should be. Second question is de-warping. BigAl I see you mention that on a DD forum they recommend to have dwarping turned off. I emailed DD support and they are saying that it should be turned on now??

Last edited:
Just picked up a new 3E for a large 2 year project I just landed. I will be using DD for data capture. Question about camera settings. Area is about 200 acres. First is should I manually set the camera settings or let Drone Deploy manage them. if I should manually set prior to flight, can someone please provide some insight on how/what the parameters should be. Second question is de-warping. BigAl I see you mention that on a DD forum they recommend to have dwarping turned off. I emailed DD support and they are saying that it should be turned on now??
I've been doing a lot of drone deploy missions with the Mavic 3E and I have always left Dewarping off as it's my understanding that drone deploy's software manages the images better with the
dewarping off. I've never had any issues with the maps. As for Camera settings I usually use shutter priority and if it's a sunny day at 1000, cloudy day set it at around 800. Set focus on auto continuous focus.

I've been doing a lot of drone deploy missions with the Mavic 3E and I have always left Dewarping off as it's my understanding that drone deploy's software manages the images better with the
dewarping off. I've never had any issues with the maps. As for Camera settings I usually use shutter priority and if it's a sunny day at 1000, cloudy day set it at around 800. Set focus on auto continuous focus.
Thanks for sharing you experience and insight. Can you elaborate on "shutter priority". Can't seem to find anything about that in the manual

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_