DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Did you know that geese don’t like drones?

JoeDimwit

Reactions
So, at work, I fly a M2ED (among other job responsibilities). I was flying the drone along the edge of a building getting pictures of the roof when I startled a pair of geese that were nesting up there. They were not amused. They chased the drone (which I immediately flew away from the area once I realized they were up there. I had to chase them away from my landing site so they wouldn’t attack the drone.

Good times.

I can understand them taking a dislike to your drone especially while in breeding season. They’re only protecting their territory from predators, your drone being the predator?

Last edited:
Reactions: ClaudioSr
As mentioned it was probably not just the drone, but the fact they are on a nest and being protective, geese being especially aggressive towards predators due to their size. If you would of gotten near their nest they would of protected it from you as well and chased you off.

good for you for pulling back right away after realizing the situation!

Seagulls also have a distaste for drones.

When I still had my spark I was at a resteraunt on the water and there were TONS of seagulls in the area (Florida Seagulls which are MUCH smaller than the big ones up north). As soon as I took off 4 of them flew from their perch directly at my little spark. I flipped on sport mode and took off then gained altitude, as they don't fly that high, and brought it home. It was scary as heck!

Geese don’t like anyone lol...

Ospreys are also not fond of drones

Seagulls think they are food

Reactions: Madmax229
Beware also of hawks and vultures....they will attack your drone...I think it also has something to do with the drones sound/frequency...
I’ve gotten a lot of attention a few times from some red tailed/Coopers hawks that took a nose dive at Merlin23..gotta love sport mode in situations like this...

Watch out for little birds too. Sparrows and hummingbirds love to go after my MA. I swear it doesn't matter where I fly either. There could be absolutely NO BIRDS around and the minute I start flying there they are.

Don't fly near these guys!

Oh, and that's pretty bad form flying your drone right at a goose Falcor. Just asking for trouble and possibly harming the animal.

Reactions: tmtwomey
Yesterday i was flying near tbe beach at resort north of Phuket, Thailand.

Launched my drone and climbed to about 30m when 4 birds started circling and making attacking like manovers.

I quickly descended and landed OK.

The birds appeared to be some sort of raptor. They continued to fly around the area and to glide in the wind current.

I did not try to fly again.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
palaiouras