DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Discovering old 'earth works' with drones (stemming from the recent news about the fresh search for the remains of Keith Bennet, UK related.)

Yorkshire_Pud

Reactions
I was just wondering what imagining capabilities are needed to see old 'earth works' using drones on the likes of Saddleworth Moor?
I have seen drones pick up impressions of old earth works using normal cameras though different grass/vegetation colours and some of those images have been stunning.
It made me wonder if a mass, coordinated search by local drone pilots would have a chance of finding something useful. I'd guess there are enough pilots in the area to mount such a search
I don't know if Saddleworth's vegetation is compatible with a visible light search, I seem to remember that at least some of it is grass.
I saw the the police had a drone up but as yet it seems the latest dig hasn't found anything.

If you live near a known earthwork you could fly over and check to see.

Last edited:
I used to fly drones for a UK Gov agency, we often used LiDAR for all kinds of things, both drone and ground base. Police forces from all over the country often asked us to help out with exactly this kind of scenario. Most of them have their own UAV teams now, so I imagine they do this in house.

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bant18