DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Discussion: Flying with or without bubble / camera cover

There is a guy doing a tempature test with vs without lens cover installed and he found the underside temps were 15-25 degrees hotter after being ran with shield on.. because the air vents primarily feed air to the underside of craft.

Solution: either modify ur shield or buy a pre fabbed camera light shade cover as it protects camera, allows air to cool and also block glare for much better in the sun shot pics. I paid 20$ for mine on amazon View attachment 3671
After having it for a little bit, do you think it's worth it?

Can't believe I'm reading this.
It's like buying the Hubble Telescope to view the heavens and deciding to replace the high end optics with a plastic bubble from Toys R Us!
I mean, really?
I'm not even talking about ventilation here. I'm talking about optical quality. You bought the Mavic to film right?

Thanks. That's very helpful. I just ordered one.

I ordered & received the same sunshade, thinking that it was the best solution as far as reducing glare, semi-protecting the gimbal and allowing ventilation to reach the heat sink & fan.

I haven't been able to fly it yet as the weather has been so hit and miss, but hopefully in the next couple of weeks the weather will stabilize & flight time will be increased.

Two different things here. Sorry if I mentioned the wrong thing.
The clear plastic bubble is only for transport and is molded with cheap "Toys R Us" plastic and should never ever be used for filming with as explained above in my earlier reply.
The lens shade is made of harder plastic and is designed to keep lens flare out but they don't work very well.
Any time you move with accelerated force in either direction, it is evident in the shot.
What I did was file away the edges until the it didn't interfere and it's fine as both a lens protector and shade.
Not as good as a telephoto lens shade but better than nothing.

Another analogy with respect to the clear bubble would be if you received a big present at Christmas and kept the wrapping and threw the gift out! Same thing. Lol!

There is a guy doing a tempature test with vs without lens cover installed and he found the underside temps were 15-25 degrees hotter after being ran with shield on.. because the air vents primarily feed air to the underside of craft.

Solution: either modify ur shield or buy a pre fabbed camera light shade cover as it protects camera, allows air to cool and also block glare for much better in the sun shot pics. I paid 20$ for mine on amazon View attachment 3671

3D printing one of these now

Reactions: ROBERTNCREST
Decided to buy that one instead. :)

Er...why not drill some ventilation holes or slots in the original cover to aid air flow into the fan? Or is that too simple a solution?

Additional Ventilation is not needed with the bubble on

That’s the trouble with Internet forums, one half say one thing and the other half say another. One group are saying it restricts ventilation, the other group say it doesn’t. It’s the same with health questions on Google, one group say “oh it’s nothing to worry about”, the other say you will die from bubonic mucus infested plague.
Opinions on the internet are like a**holes. Everybody has one. It would be nice, for once, to get a definitive answer to a simple question.

Good evening all
I too worry about the high temperatures when flying with the dome protecting the gimbal and camera
Like everyone here I too have watched all the YouTube videos on this very subject of over heating or Not.
Well my opinion only But yes I do believe that there is a considerable amount of heat build up from the restriction of air flow caused by the placing of the dome over the camera & gimbal
Not to mention all the footage that is messed up by glare and shaky video
Even thou there is a slit cut out on the left side of the dome
Well I have gone that little bit further and in the following pictures you can see how much that I have modified the dome by melting small holes in various locations
So I use this dome when I am just flying around and don't care much about the video
But want to protect the camera and gimbal

Attachments

• 20180721_181623.jpg
    20180721_181623.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • 20180721_181705.jpg
    20180721_181705.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics