DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Air 3 - Waypoint Mission Crash into sea

Thanks @JNB!

DJ Wes: "Because the last two waypoints were so much higher, the flight path went below the height of waypoint 2 as it approached waypoint 2 in order to make a smooth curve up to the last two higher waypoints."

So that means that there is proof of the idea from @DJ Wes that the WP algorithm allows to fall below the pre-programmed minimum flight altitude in case of certain curve interpolations?

No hint, no warning?

Weird!

Last edited:
Reactions: RodPad and JNB
So that means that their is proof of the idea from @DJ Wes that the WP algorithm allows to fall below the pre-programmed minimum flight altitude in case of certain curve interpolations?

No hint, no warning?
The type of curve that DJI Fly uses for waypoint missions goes through the control points (waypoints). An obvious result of this is that this type of curve (spline) cannot satisfy the "convex hull" property. Most waypoint flights are configured and occur in the X-Y plane where the flight path can easily be seen on the screen where it is displayed. The flight path will often be seen extending beyond the limits of a polygon defined by the waypoints. Since the flight path is created in 3D space, this extension will occur both laterally and vertically. This is simply the nature of a spline that goes through its control points.

If you are interested, I have more information on this here:

Thanks @JNB!

DJ Wes: "Because the last two waypoints were so much higher, the flight path went below the height of waypoint 2 as it approached waypoint 2 in order to make a smooth curve up to the last two higher waypoints."

So that means that there is proof of the idea from @DJ Wes that the WP algorithm allows to fall below the pre-programmed minimum flight altitude in case of certain curve interpolations?

No hint, no warning?

Weird!
Yes, it may fall below the waypoint heights - DJI directed me to RTFM (page 41) 😀:

1709649701379.png

Reactions: PeRo
The type of curve that DJI Fly uses for waypoint missions goes through the control points (waypoints). An obvious result of this is that this type of curve (spline) cannot satisfy the "convex hull" property. Most waypoint flights are configured and occur in the X-Y plane where the flight path can easily be seen on the screen where it is displayed. The flight path will often be seen extending beyond the limits of a polygon defined by the waypoints. Since the flight path is created in 3D space, this extension will occur both laterally and vertically. This is simply the nature of a spline that goes through its control points.

If you are interested, I have more information on this here:
This makes sense - I can see the reasoning behind it - it's better for cinematic, smooth footage, worse for crashes into the sea LOL

Reactions: PeRo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1