DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Care service plan works in an odd way.

MavicKhan

Reactions
Only now have I come to understand that DJI's Care service plan is locked to a drone serial number.

In essence, the DJI Care service plan should be like an insurance.

As such, it should be tied to a specific drone, yes, but the beneficiary should always be the owner and one should be able to change the specific drone it covers.

...I mean, I’ve always had insurance for my cars. The policy has always been the same, same insurer, same policy number only the car it covers changes (…and, obviously, the premium paid, according to car actual value…).

I now have an Air 2S and am contemplating selling it to buy an Air 3.

I bought the care service plan when I bough the drone and the coverage will only expire in middle 2024.

Why should the new owner I will be selling the Air 2S to benefit from a protection I paid for, while I am forced to buy a new one for the Air 3?

I could understand an update fee to transfer the coverage but parting with it, altogether?...It’s just odd…

WK

Why should the new owner I will be selling the Air 2S
Care Refresh is strictly attached by drone sn. and is not transferrable to another drone. This is not odd at all as DJI is in many cases extending great risks associated with the coverage. You can use this as a selling point to your potential buyer.
policy number only the car it covers changes
The same is true with DJI Care/Refresh. Only that drone is covered. But the coverage works differently as DJI must know the condition of the drone they are covering and therefore stays with the drone, not you. T

Reactions: @Rip and Torque
Only now have I come to understand that DJI's Care service plan is locked to a drone serial number.

In essence, the DJI Care service plan should be like an insurance.

As such, it should be tied to a specific drone, yes, but the beneficiary should always be the owner and one should be able to change the specific drone it covers.

...I mean, I’ve always had insurance for my cars. The policy has always been the same, same insurer, same policy number only the car it covers changes (…and, obviously, the premium paid, according to car actual value…).

I now have an Air 2S and am contemplating selling it to buy an Air 3.

I bought the care service plan when I bough the drone and the coverage will only expire in middle 2024.

Why should the new owner I will be selling the Air 2S to benefit from a protection I paid for, while I am forced to buy a new one for the Air 3?

I could understand an update fee to transfer the coverage but parting with it, altogether?...It’s just odd…

WK
DJI has been known to update their service plans over time and eventually they may get around to these recommended upgrades. But in the meantime, the plan covers one specific drone and that drone model only. Because the coverage is different and limited in time, it cannot transfer from one model to another. There are also provisions in the coverage details that are only specific to that particular drone model. DJI is choosing to keep it simple to the customer so that it's easy to understand, attractive to buy, and most importantly affordable. Doing what you suggest could drive up the price and make it more complicated than it has to be since there are already enough additional fees and "deductibles" on these plans without having transfer fees, etc. I would love for DJI to offer a lifetime DJI Care Refresh program for long time members, unlimited claims, unlimited drones, stays with the owner, one fee of $999 forever. ;)

In the meantime, you have options. When you sell your drone, you should factor in the cost of the remaining insurance when you calculate your selling price and you should communicate to the potential buyer that they are getting additional coverage "free of charge." Hope this helps.

The same is true with DJI Care/Refresh. Only that drone is covered. But the coverage works differently as DJI must know the condition of the drone they are covering and therefore stays with the drone, not you. T

Well, they would know the condition the drone is in, if it was transferred at the time of the purchase of the new drone.

They could then invoice am adjustment payment, if one was needed.

MK

Well, they would know the condition the drone is in, if it was transferred at the time of the purchase of the new drone.

They could then invoice am adjustment payment, if one was needed.

MK
You're welcome. Couple of things I want to mention. When you purchase the new drone, you have the option to [re]purchase insurance as there is no need to transfer your previous insurance. As you mentioned, the drone is new and for the first 48 hours, you are automatically approved so there's no need to worry about the status of the previous insurance that you might want to transfer (how many claims, etc). That's a good thing, you get to start fresh and your past status doesn't affect your current ability.

As for the "payment adjustment" it's only a few dollars we are talking about. Otherwise, if you have a 2-year CINE plan and during month 2 you make a change, I'm sure you can call DJI and work out something.

If DJI were to allow used drones to shed their coverage early, how will the buyer of a used drone easily gain coverage? A drone that has been covered for 7 months loses the last 5 months of coverage (since you have moved it forward) and it's DJI policy not to allow more than one Care Refresh on a used drone.

And finally, DJI rewards (a free extra year of warranty) on a drone with 12-month of no claims. If you pull the warranty at 11-months, does that almost perfect used drone no longer get the free extra year? And if you move the warranty to your new drone, do you get the extra year of warranty after just one more additional month? My point here is DJI has built a lot around the current Care Refresh setup (and it works well) so it won't be easy to change. However, they recently made a big change....for the better.

My 2 cents.

The different models have different Care Refresh and replacement costs. It wouldn't make any sense for the amount you paid for an Air 2S Care Refresh to translate to coverage for an Air 3.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor