DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles Finally here, but illegal!

rmb

Reactions
Is it me or are these googles totally illegal? Unless you have another visual observer with you, you can NOT legally fly without visual line of sight. Don't get me wrong I would love to try them. And for those of us with Inspires where the camera can be controlled by a second person this would be a fantastic tool for the camera op.

That said and back to my point, the FAA very clearly states that goggles and other FPV screens or devices do NOT count as VLS.

Please chime in here if I am in error.

rb

1. You are very likely right
2. Actually, the glasses are likely going to increase the pilot's understanding of where they are and reduce the number of collisions and accidents
3. Just have a person stand next to you and yell if there's a problem...

I have a bit of a problem with these glasses:
1. They are extremely big
2. There are plenty of solutions that do AR/VR so that you can remove the back and be able to see the bird while simultanously fly and watch from its point of view (Moverio has this option using a shaded back). Not optimal but probably legal.

The goggles themselves are of course not illegal. It's what you do with them that may be. In most places if you have someone with you keeping the aircraft in sight you can use them as a pilot, and of course anyone can use them as spectators.

Anyway there are hundreds of thousands of FPV goggles in use in the world without any issues. Also that requirement is ridiculous, it was written as often by someone who had no idea and didn't grasp that it's actually probably safer to fly with such equipment.

Last edited:
The goggles themselves are of course not illegal. It's what you do with them that may be. In most places if you have someone with you keeping the aircraft in flight you can use them as a pilot, and of course anyone can use them as spectators.

Anyway there are hundreds of thousands of FPV goggles in use in the world without any issues. Also that requirement is ridiculous, it was written as often by someone who had no idea and didn't grasp that it's actually probably safer to fly with such equipment.
Understood. The only place where I have to disagree is that they are only safer if your only safety hazard approaches from in front. seeing what left, right above or coming up behind you can only be seen if you or someone else has eyes on the bird.

You know most cars have a speedometer that shows around 110 or 120 but yet how many roads are that speed limit?
I don't always fly my mavic with line of sight but I like to see it so I don't break that rule often.
I'll be getting the goggles and won't always have a spotter. I don't plan on flying over crowds are putting people in danger when I do so do your thing and be as safe as you want to be.

Anyone coming from behind would be the one who has to avoid collision anyway just like full scale see and avoid. Also at the distances and altitudes you're supposed to fly at you should not encounter anything else than other drones and you can hear anything coming.

Note that anytime you're flying your Mavic by looking at the tablet you're technically operating just as illegally as with the goggles. Don't tell me you're never doing that.

Ok. I feel like this is getting contentious and that was not by any means my intention, so I should probably back out of this post as I am obviously getting some upset and impatient. Just to clear up my point, my parting words are these. I am afraid as an FFA licensed pilot I have had it pounded into my head that because we are all flying in class G airspace we are sharing it with everything from parachuters and hang gliders to emergency airlift helicopters, birds and yes other drones. Further it is the rule is that Drones have the lowest priority (i.e. it is your responsibility to yield right of way regardless of fault) therefor LOS is everything! And yes I do spend a great deal of time looking at my display. The FAA clearly states that alternating LOS with monitoring your iPad, etc is fine and no different than glancing down at your instruments while in flight. My only point was that racing drones with goggles is different than flying blind in all but one direction in shared airspace. And with that, I will stop pissing everyone off.

The FAA clearly states that alternating LOS with monitoring your iPad, etc is fine and no different than glancing down at your instruments while in flight.
All good then, you'll certainly lift your goggles regularly to check on the aircraft, they're made for it to be easy and are after all nothing more than a display with sunshade that happens to be attached to your head for convenience ;)

Anyone coming from behind would be the one who has to avoid collision anyway just like full scale see and avoid. Also at the distances and altitudes you're supposed to fly at you should not encounter anything else than other drones and you can hear anything coming.

Note that anytime you're flying your Mavic by looking at the tablet you're technically operating just as illegally as with the goggles. Don't tell me you're never doing that.

A manned aircraft coming from behind you has the right-of-way.

I was on the fence about ordering these. But I got to thinking I am always staring at my iPhone 7 plus in remote anyway and losing LOS. So what's difference I'll just need to flip up the googles when I need to.

Reactions: kab
I lose line of sight on a regular basis. I fly back staring at my device and using the map toggle. I can't wait for my goggles to Stevie Wonder around. The bigger danger will be falling on my *** or getting mugged and not knowing it until it's too late.

Didn't the fine print say to use for enhanced flight video playback only. It's up to the user on how they chose to use this product.

Even more so these are way over priced for all existing dji users who own a dji aircraft. I also can't help to think that there has been an extremely little amount of beta testing. Those that do purchase the goggles will likely run into new issues with their aircraft and the devices used to host the dji GO4 app. #overpriced

They would be great for VLOS work and a spotter with you.
No issues with it if used in this manner!

Didn't the fine print say to use for enhanced flight video playback only. It's up to the user on how they chose to use this product.

Even more so these are way over priced for all existing dji users who own a dji aircraft. I also can't help to think that there has been an extremely little amount of beta testing. Those that do purchase the goggles will likely run into new issues with their aircraft and the devices used to host the dji GO4 app. #overpriced

Oh boy Frankie. Over priced? Compared to? Have you seen the list of features? Overpriced to the ones you stuff your phone in? Yes... overpriced compared to Fatshark, Epson? Not even close, these are a bargain if you want goggles on the cheap.

You can't find goggles that do what these do in the first place, let alone the quality.

You're wrong on the beta testing front too. These were announced alongside the Mavic. Then nada. They mention nothing for six months? I believe they were testing during that time, I also believe they didn't launch with the Mavic because they had to change their "purpose" to meet FAA regulations regarding line of sight.

I've always wanted goggles, but couldn't pay the crazy amounts, only to have to buy external batteries, and have cords hanging from my face. These are wireless and can replace the need for a phone or tablet. That alone is awesome.

#notforyou
#expensiveisrelative

If you can see yourself through the goggels, surely that would be VLOS, no?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biggej