DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic 3 V2.0

Mavic 3 V2.0 is labeled with the EASA C1 Class sticker for significantly less restricted flight in the EU/EEA. That is the only difference.

IMG_7978.jpeg

Is that sticker only on drones sold in the EU or will the ones purchased in the US also have it?

Is that sticker only on drones sold in the EU or will the ones purchased in the US also have it?

As far as I know, no Mavic 3 sold anywhere in the world shipped with the “V2” C1 class sticker.

You have to apply for the free sticker from DJI, but the catch is they will only let you apply for it if you and the drone are physically located in the European Economic Area at the moment of application.

If you are shopping for a Mavic 3 in the US and you have the option to get one with the V2 sticker, definitely go for that one. It will be very difficult to get a C1 sticker in the US otherwise. Flight restrictions in the EEA for the Mavic 3 are very restrictive without the C1 sticker.

The same applies for the Mavic 3 Classic, though as far as I know there is no way to apply for a C1 sticker if the unit did not originally ship with it. For the Classic, the only way to get one with a C1 sticker might be to purchase in the EU.

Hmm, I asked DJI USA support about the status of the sticker.

We will see what they say.

Not clear if it's at their discretion whether they distribute stickers to Americans who buy their products in the US or maybe the EASA is somehow telling them not to distribute the stickers outside the EU?

Hmm, I asked DJI USA support about the status of the sticker.

We will see what they say.

Not clear if it's at their discretion whether they distribute stickers to Americans who buy their products in the US or maybe the EASA is somehow telling them not to distribute the stickers outside the EU?

I doubt the EASA cares either way, I think it’s just one of those things to file under the “crazy DJI decisions” category. As of earlier this year they won’t even let you apply for the sticker from the UK, and I could be in the EU from my house in less than 2 hours for £20.

I wonder how they will enforce it. If the police questions whether you should be flying in a particular location, can they look up the model of the drone and determine that it's eligible for C1 status even if there isn't a sticker on the drone?

EASA should be able to publish a simple list of eligible models which have been certified.

Or are they really going to be looking that closely, like if someone is flying a M3 Pro like they would a C1 drone, how would they be able to tell until they made the pilot land the drone and they check the label or look up the model?

I wonder how they will enforce it. If the police questions whether you should be flying in a particular location, can they look up the model of the drone and determine that it's eligible for C1 status even if there isn't a sticker on the drone?

EASA should be able to publish a simple list of eligible models which have been certified.

Or are they really going to be looking that closely, like if someone is flying a M3 Pro like they would a C1 drone, how would they be able to tell until they made the pilot land the drone and they check the label or look up the model?

You have to upload your EASA registration number into the remote identification system, so anyone watching will know what drone is flying and who is flying it even if you don't land. The DJI Aeroscope for example will certainly show the aircraft model, and I'd be very surprised if it didn't also display the EU drone class as well.

Eligibility for getting the class sticker and getting the class sticker are completely separate issues. All that matters is that you have the sticker and documentation from DJI that your specific aircraft is now C1 certified (your serial number is on the document). With that sticker and documentation, a Mavic 3 is hardly more regulated than a Mini. But without, a Mavic 3 essentially has to follow the same rules as an Inspire.

Yeah DJI tells me, maybe I have the address of someone I know and they can mail it there and they can mail it back to me in the USA.

So basically, no reason to buy in the US then if I hope to fly a C1 drone.

EASA does have a published list of C1 models.

I really don't understand why they wouldn't distribute more widely unless EASA is requiring that they don't mail it to anyone outside of Europe. They said it could only be mailed to a European address.

EASA does have a published list of C1 models.

Nice find on the list. It is clearly the V2 version of the Mavic 3, not the V1.

So basically, no reason to buy in the US then if I hope to fly a C1 drone.

It is hard enough finding a Mavic 3 with the C1/V2 sticker in the UK so I would imagine it is an almost impossible task in the US. Probably pretty easy in the EU though.

Yeah DJI tells me, maybe I have the address of someone I know and they can mail it there and they can mail it back to me in the USA.
I really don't understand why they wouldn't distribute more widely unless EASA is requiring that they don't mail it to anyone outside of Europe. They said it could only be mailed to a European address.

Unless their policy changed in the last few months, your DJI rep gave false information. There is (or was) absolutely no restriction on where DJI ships the stickers to. EU, UK, US, Antarctica, wherever, it doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is that the drone is physically inside of the EEA when the label is applied for. There was no issue having them mail my stickers to the UK, which after Brexit, is as much a part of the EEA as the US is.

I'm not sure what the V2 version is suppose to be, just a firmware difference or is there some physical difference? In any event, you can now only buy M3 or M3 Cine used or refurbished.

Either the DJI rep who responded to me is uninformed or they just have an inexplicable policy, as if they don't want to make sales to certain people.

Maybe they don't have separate US and EU subsidiaries so they don't care where you purchase the product.

I do wonder what the enforcement is going to be like. Only time I've been accosted about flying my drone in Europe was in France last year. I was in an area which was clear in the French Geoportail map. But some policemen on bikes told me that I would have to get written permission from the town and the province. As far as I could tell there are no such requirements in the place where I was in.

I'd also heard that in Spain, enforcement was aggressive, with police scanning for unauthorizing drone flights and such. But I cleared permission with some local police agencies and aerodromes for Ronda and Toledo ahead of time.

I'm not looking to fly over city centers or other obviously prohibited areas. So I haven't faced police or onlookers challenging my flying in certain areas except the one incident in Menton waterfront.

I bought my M3 Cine in the US in 2021.
Recently I talked to DJI support in Germany and was told only early Mavic 3s bought in Europe (with CE sign) can receive the C1 update.
I have figured that already since I never had the pop up in the App offering me the C1 update.

These are the changes to the drone once the C1 update has been successful:
- When using ActiveTrack to track objects or people, the distance between the drone and the subject is limited to a maximum of 50 meters. If the distance is increased, ActiveTrack deactivates automatically.

- The AUX LED on the bottom of the drone is automatically activated and deactivated depending on the external conditions.

- The signal LEDs on the front arms flash continuously while the Mavic 3 is turned on.

Note that the Mavic 3 Pro cannot be updated/may not be flown in the C1 category with the A1/A3 license since it weighs more than 900gr. So here it would help to get the A2 license.

Did you try to get the C1 update and label while in Europe or from the US for your M3 Cine?

I guess unless you plan to sell it and get a C1-eligible drone, you'd have to fly it in the EU without it and see what enforcement is like over there.

Actually I didn't try to get the update (while being in Germany). As I understand there is no way to retrieve it manually. It'll be offered you via the app or not. I don't really care since I have the A2 license. I was just curious after I found out a friend in Germany had a warranty replacement for his 'old' Mavic 3 Cine and DJI sent him a replacement - version 2.0.

I'm curious if any American owners have tried to use VPN to spoof the app.

I'm pretty sure it's not about internet but about the serial # or any other internal identification. The app won't allow drones that are not identified as EU variants to make that update.

EDIT:
I'm actually able (while being currently in Germany) to access the C1 application:
In DJI Fly I go to Profile > tap on the headset symbol upper right hand corner > tap on "C1 Class Identification Label"
Upon this I'm being asked to put in my address. It auto-detects as area "Europe" and my country. Once completed I hit "Save and use this address" it says:
"System error, please try again later"

Whatever that means ;-) I tried three times unsuccessfully...

Last edited:
Did you put in a German address or an American address to send the label?

The odd thing is in the instructions they have on the website, it shows an American address.

If it does go by serial number, they're basically telling people outside the EU that they don't need to bother buying a DJI drone to fly in the EU.

Once the new rules are in effect next year, if people from North America or Asia travel to the EU and find that there are severe restrictions, far greater than there used to be, for their $2-$3000 DJI drones, there's gonna be some blowback on DJI.

I put my German address in. EU and Germany was automatically detected and I couldn't have changed it.

I talked to German support again: This time a guy said the C1 application should work for any of the early Mavic 3s. No matter where it was bought. Regarding my error he said I should factory reset my RC Pro. It probably still thinks I'm in the US.
Doesn't make sense to me. Why shouldn't people be able to apply while being outside the EU? That process takes a while and people need to prepare before they travel.

I'm not gonna do this now. I'm good with my A2 cert until the end of the year and then I go from there.

I contacted EASA and asked about flying C1 drones which don't have the C1 label, because DJI doesn't send the labels to an address outside of EU countries.

Here is the response I got.

Thank you for contacting EASA. Th EU drone regulation applies to everyone operating in the EASA states. So when a tourist coming from outside of EU with a drone purchased abroad and without class mark, this will be considered as legacy drone (can operate in open category A1 if having a weight below 20g or in A3 if with a weight below 25kg, or in the specific category)

So if you don't have a class mark, it's A1 but has to be under 20g?

That must be a typo.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suretybondsa