DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic Popular D-LOG LUT Comparison (Old Link Broken)

Ardy

Reactions
Hey guys,

I have made a video showcasing popular DJI D-LOG LUTs all into one video with their names attached so that you guys can see which ones you like best.

I know when I first started out, it was very difficult to find LUTs for my DJI D-LOG footage that I liked so I would just give up and shoot in a color graded style in the DJI GO app.

Some of them are free and others are $2-$5.

LUTs were imported into FCPX using mLUT.

Filmed in 4K 30 D-LOG on Mavic Pro
Sat.Sharp.Cont. all "0"

Ardalan

Ok, I am no photographer, so I dont know what D-logs and LUT's are, but they certainly make a difference!
Nice job showing the comparisons!

I'll take a crack at it. As a photographer as well I look at LUTs as filters. It's stands for Look up Table and you can technically create your own very much like you do with photographs in Photoshop with filters. Kind of like a one click solution.

What I don't understand is dlog versus ... I need to look that up even more but awesome with the comparison.

The problem with D-Log on the Mavic is that D-Log is absurdly flat. I forgot where white tops out at but I want to think its around 80IRE.

This 1/2.3 image sensor is not very clean, relies on extreme amounts of noise reductuon and does not have a very high dynamic range. (Probably arround 8 stops and 9 on a very good day!l)

To make matters even worse, the Mavic is heavily challenged by a weak 60mbp/s CODEC at 8bit sampling.

When normalizing D-Log and stretching this recording back up to rec709, it just pulls the CODEC and image apart. There is not enough IN it and its not durable enough to survive that much stretching.

So when finished, the image is left with banding artifacts and color gradient blocking and amplified compression artifacts. Its just a bad cocktail of 8bit, poor CODEC and tiny sensor limitations to begin with.

I think people are better off sticking with Cine-D gamma and do lighter color grading from a starting point that is closer to your final output.

I would argue that Cine-D is already flat enough to capture this tiny sensor's complete dynamic range anyway. There is no need to further burden this week 8bit 60mbp/s CODEC with an even flatter gamma curve that is D-Log. Its putting WAY too much stress on a thin image that cant afford that much pulling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drone on
Can someone explain to me, in this day an age how have LUTs become almost impossible to pirate?

I found this on youtube :

By Sean Tucker.
He explains very well how to colour grade your video and also how to make your own LUT with photoshop and apply them in final cut pro.
His channel has many good video's about editing video's and photography.
Enjoy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jimmy poole