DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mini 2 Gimbal random tilting after crash (HELP)

NotIlja

Reactions
Hello everyone,

A few weeks ago when I was making some shots of my college, I accidentally hit a tree branch which led to my drone crashing down. The drone seemed fine, it could still fly and the gimbal still moved freely (at least on first inspection).

When I recorded some footage after the crash, I noticed that my gimbal is randomly tilting and re-leveling very slowly when flying sideways. I've added a video showcasing this issue to this post.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could possibly fix this? I recalibrated compas, IMU and gimbal multiple times (auto- and manual). Any help is appreciated!

Video:

You may want to try this. I tried everything I could find before this and this worked for me. After replacing my gimbal my gimbal would go through the motions of calibration but would return to center but at a skewed angle.

This requires installing and running Python and some scripts.

DM me if you have any questions or if you run into any trouble.

It should go without saying use the above at your own risk. It worked for me.

You may want to try this. I tried everything I could find before this and this worked for me. After replacing my gimbal my gimbal would go through the motions of calibration but would return to center but at a skewed angle.

Thank you for the reply! I'll make sure to try this, but just to be clear; I did not replace my gimbal, so I'm still clear to do this right?

On top of that my camera points at the right direction when stationary / not at an angle. When tilting the drone by hand the camera moves normal, it's only when it reaches a certain amount of tilt that it starts acting weird like that.

If this doesn't work though, would you suggest to replace the gimbal and/or the camera?

Reactions: I_Fly_Air_2
This basically just recalibrates your gimbal. So it shouldn’t do any harm to your drone. I will either fix it or it won’t. I have seen reports of others performing these steps after a crash without a replacement. If this doesn’t work I would suggest a replacement of just the gimbal if your camera is working correctly. If you do replace your gimbal you will still have to do this afterwards.

Reactions: Cafguy and NotIlja
This basically just recalibrates your gimbal. So it shouldn’t do any harm to your drone. I will either fix it or it won’t. I have seen reports of others performing these steps after a crash without a replacement. If this doesn’t work I would suggest a replacement of just the gimbal if your camera is working correctly. If you do replace your gimbal you will still have to do this afterwards.
Alright, sounds good. I'll definitely give it a try!

Again thank you for your time, and I'll keep you guys updated!

Reactions: Cafguy
I have fixed problems with several gimbals by just calibrating it in Python. They just go back to normal.....Sometimes.
Its always the first thing I "Try".

I'm currently trying to do this, but when checking for the different codes for the different drones, I can't seem to find 'DJI Mini 2' between them, only the 'Mavic Mini'. What should I do? Should I just try to use the code for the Mavic Mini?
1711458086762.png

I'm currently trying to do this, but when checking for the different codes for the different drones, I can't seem to find 'DJI Mini 2' between them, only the 'Mavic Mini'. What should I do? Should I just try to use the code for the Mavic Mini?
View attachment 173807
Just tried it with the code WM160 for the Mavic Mini, since I read on their forum that that's what you should do. When I tried to paste the first code (py comm_og_service_tool.py --port COM1 WM160 GimbalCalib JointCoarse), I got met with the response ' Error: No response on calibration command JointCoarse request.' and my gimbal did not move at all. Maybe I used the wrong port, since even when I unplug the drone Device Manager still says that COM1 is in use (or at least that's what I think it's saying). Gonna try to do this with a different PC, but in the meantime, does anyone have any tips?

I also tried 'py comm_og_service_tool.py -vv --bulk WM160 GimbalCalib JointCoarse', but I get 'Error: No module named 'usb' '.

Edit: Spelling mistake
1711459377360.png

Just tried it with the code WM160 for the Mavic Mini, since I read on their forum that that's what you should do. When I tried to paste the first code (py comm_og_service_tool.py --port COM1 WM160 GimbalCalib JointCoarse), I got met with the response ' Error: No response on calibration command JointCoarse request.' and my gimbal did not move at all. Maybe I used the wrong port, since even when I unplug the drone Device Manager still says that COM1 is in use (or at least that's what I think it's saying). Gonna try to do this with a different PC, but in the meantime, does anyone have any tips?

I also tried 'py comm_og_service_tool.py -vv --bulk WM160 GimbalCalib JointCoarse', but I get 'Error: No module named 'usb' '.

Edit: Spelling mistake
View attachment 173808
I had a similar issue when connecting my drone to my computer. I was using a random USB-C cable as I didn't have the original one that came with the drone since it was given to me. So I wasn't getting a true data connection to the drone. I purchased a new cable and that worked for me.

Are you able to see/download files from your drone using the computer? If not, I would try using a different cable.

Also you want to use the "--port" option and not "--bulk". I believe the script has been updated since the instructions were written/used in the video.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne