DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI officially confirms - no plans for waypoints and dual control...

I have to agree with other posters on here somewhere. I don't understand the x-mas connection? Do you really think people are gifting Mavic 3s in the thousands to their kids and spouses? I just don't see that happening, but I could be very wrong of course.
(If that's the case, we can safely assume its a Magic 3, not a PRO. Intended for recreational, albeit wealthy users)
X:mas is going cause yet another huge pile up at the ports and everything is going to come to a halt again. Thus the reason why DJI may hold up on the software till January . It took me 3 months to get a container from China a few days ago , so there is shipping delays and than there is everything stops. I think they were afraid to get caught in that and found an open window and took it so to speak.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

There are just so many Business reasons why they needed to do this:
#1: Beat the Evo 3 Release
#2: Not worry about shipping Restrictions do to Covid spreading again..
#3: So many ports with containers going nowhere and xmas coming to bring it to a halt again.
#4: A bird in the hand is better than waiting for a cage. lol something like that.
#5: Slow down the number of sales , until they can once again meet full supply for order flow.
#6: Apple was the first to pull this stunt and there students of Apple , lol
#7: My favorite : Allow third Party makers a jump start for when the avalanche begins. :cool:
#8: Test the water with the Cine to see how they should set supply markers
#9: Create a whirlwind of Media before releasing the Fireworks and there sold out .
10: I would not be surprised if we get the update a lot sooner than January as Xmas is just to big of a bundle of cash to pass up even for DJI .
11: If the software is not everything it needs to be , the Return of the Mavic 3 will make national headlines. lol
12: Yep , other I am sure have some ideas also.

Defender of the DJI universe
Phantomrain.org
And Uncle Jimmy Jones has some KoolAide ready for consumption.

I just have trouble understanding people’s rush to buy a product that isn’t complete and there are no concrete promises of features to be added along with a time frame of those additions.

AND DJI is not alone in this lousy marketing tactic. Other drone manufacturers do the same thing using real customers to do their Beta testing and pay for the “privilege”. Some day consumers will wake up and hold companies to task with their products.

Oh that’s right! Christmas is coming and we just can’t wait to spend our hard earned money on the latest crippled product! They promise it will be fixed soon. Sorry, still SMH!!!

Worst part I purchased so quickly , I had no idea that the the software was crippled and I think there were many like me that were clueless. But it made sense to me to get the Products in the hands of customers while they could so I forgive them.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Worst part I purchased so quickly , I had no idea that the the software was crippled and I think there were many like me that were clueless. But it made sense to me to get the Products in the hands of customers while they could so I forgive them.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
The KoolAide may not cause death, but it does cloud the mind into thinking that screwing the customer is acceptable. Maybe the MSG is addictive.

Reactions: waternut13134
Just passing the information to our forum.

DJI has officially confirmed to youtuber "DC Rainmaker" that contrary to several missing features that are planned to be added via firmware update in January - there are no plans to add Waypoints to M3, and there are no plans to allow dual control on M3.
Strange that features that were present in previous versions are deleted for good.

Then again, after the smart controller debacle, why should we be surprised...

source: DJI officially confirms - no plans for waypoints and dual control...
Waypoints are a big selling point for me.

I guess this drone will never support mapping. It is more of a drone for youtube influencers so they have something to talk about and review. For serious film guys it will alwasy be Inspire and above. YT doesn't need pro res at all, M2P was overkill for YT.
I wonder what was the intended audience for this drone.
Only for influencers? Well that is certainly short-sighted. Someone else also said it's for flights out of LOS? HUH?

Mapping is a huge tool for farmers and those wanting to map out a certain area and shoot footage of the same area to look for changes, etc., and has nothing to do with just making influencers happy lol.

I know of several people that use it to map out areas to look for changes and other things... all they have to do is launch the drone, execute the waypoints, let the drone do the exact same route every time, and look at the footage to compare from earlier flights.

While I see that a lot of people don't use it, it was a nice feature.

Reactions: waternut13134
Black Friday is a major big deal. As a former engineering manager at Amazon’s Lab126 I can tell you that all programs were either geared to Black Friday or Mother’s Day. While Amazon would never introduce a half baked product, I can easily understand the pressure within DJI to do so and from their distributors on them as well.

As for the lack of waypoints I am fine to use Litchi, but am frustrated that the SDK takes so long to introduce. Why can’t this be released concurrently with the product release? I will be shocked if Litchi doesn’t offer waypoints for this soon after they have the SDK.

Lol, This could be all about the Tone of the news Brought forward, meaning that obviously there Scrambling over there in china land to get the software written by January let alone Way points , it will come just not in timely fashion.

We must keep defending the Faith. :p

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Land on the Water, Capture the Storm and PRAY for DJI to come out of this alive.
I hope that was sarcasm.

Only for influencers? Well that is certainly short-sighted. Someone else also said it's for flights out of LOS? HUH?

Mapping is a huge tool for farmers and those wanting to map out a certain area and shoot footage of the same area to look for changes, etc., and has nothing to do with just making influencers happy lol.

I know of several people that use it to map out areas to look for changes and other things... all they have to do is launch the drone, execute the waypoints, let the drone do the exact same route every time, and look at the footage to compare from earlier flights.

A TON of people use waypoints for mapping...but most of them are not on this forum.

Black Friday is a major big deal. As a former engineering manager at Amazon’s Lab126 I can tell you that all programs were either geared to Black Friday or Mother’s Day. While Amazon would never introduce a half baked product, I can easily understand the pressure within DJI to do so and from their distributors on them as well.

As for the lack of waypoints I am fine to use Litchi, but am frustrated that the SDK takes so long to introduce. Why can’t this be released concurrently with the product release? I will be shocked if Litchi doesn’t offer waypoints for this soon after they have the SDK.
Litchi is *mostly* useless for mapping.

X:mas is going cause yet another huge pile up at the ports and everything is going to come to a halt again. Thus the reason why DJI may hold up on the software till January . It took me 3 months to get a container from China a few days ago , so there is shipping delays and than there is everything stops. I think they were afraid to get caught in that and found an open window and took it so to speak.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
The topic of this thread is about waypoints NEVER being supported, so not sure what that has to do with logistical delays

So here's a conspiracy theory on this lack of Waypoints topic. What if DJI is just wanting people to buy more MP2 and P4Pv2 models? Because I need waypoints to use DroneDeploy, the P4P is most likely what I'm going to be buying.

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Besides waypoints, the Fly app has many shortcomings IMO. I think the bigger question is why did DJI abandon Go4? I have no problem with Go4, and I think everyone would agree with that. Why would DJI use the new Fly app that was introduced for their low end mini? I think it diminishes the prestige of the M3, but that's me.
Although there are no plans for waypoints today in the Fly app, that may change. Lack of sales of the M3 my influence that decision.

I guess this drone will never support mapping. It is more of a drone for youtube influencers so they have something to talk about and review. For serious film guys it will alwasy be Inspire and above. YT doesn't need pro res at all, M2P was overkill for YT.
I wonder what was the intended audience for this drone.
For people who want the latest and greatest, even if they have no particular need for it.

If I was rich enough that $3K made no difference to me financially, I'd pop for one in a heartbeat, just to have the latest coolest toy.

Sadly, that's not the case...

TCS

There are just so many Business reasons why they needed to do this:
#1: Beat the Evo 3 Release
#2: Not worry about shipping Restrictions do to Covid spreading again..
#3: So many ports with containers going nowhere and xmas coming to bring it to a halt again.
#4: A bird in the hand is better than waiting for a cage. lol something like that.
#5: Slow down the number of sales , until they can once again meet full supply for order flow.
#6: Apple was the first to pull this stunt and there students of Apple , lol
#7: My favorite : Allow third Party makers a jump start for when the avalanche begins. :cool:
#8: Test the water with the Cine to see how they should set supply markers
#9: Create a whirlwind of Media before releasing the Fireworks and there sold out .
10: I would not be surprised if we get the update a lot sooner than January as Xmas is just to big of a bundle of cash to pass up even for DJI .
11: If the software is not everything it needs to be , the Return of the Mavic 3 will make national headlines. lol
12: Yep , other I am sure have some ideas also.

Defender of the DJI universe
Phantomrain.org
This is the most complete and sensible commentary I've yet seen on this subject.

You can sign me up as a Defender Apprentice!

:)

TCS

• Haha
Reactions: zeusfl

You didn't get my point....

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noobie