DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI or Third-Party chargers?

Tengo el cargador DJI de 100W y cuando lo cargo se calienta mucho, al punto que antes de terminar de cargar una sola batería se apaga hasta que se enfría un poco.
¿Esto es normal?
¿A alguno de vosotros os pasa?
¿Tienes solución?

Gracias por las repuestas.

Google translate:

I have the DJI 100W charger and when I charge it it gets very hot, to the point that before it finishes charging a single battery it turns off until it cools down a little.

This is normal?

Does it happen to any of you?

Do you have a solution?

Thanks for the responses.

Tengo el cargador DJI de 100W y cuando lo cargo se calienta mucho, al punto que antes de terminar de cargar una sola batería se apaga hasta que se enfría un poco.
¿Esto es normal?
¿A alguno de vosotros os pasa?
¿Tienes solución?

Gracias por las repuestas.
High wattage power suppliers gets really hot... that's normal.

But they shouldn't get so hot that they shut off (if not using it in very high ambient temps &/or in a place where sufficient ventilation is prevented), I would contact DJI about it.

Since this is a thread about chargers, I’d like to add my experience with one third-party charger.

Before my Air 3 even arrived, I got an Anker 317 100W charger from Amazon for about USD$25.
It’s advertised as a USB-C PD charger for MacBooks/Laptops/Phones and thousands of other devices.

I also have an energy meter throughout my entire house and I can see live power usage from all my outlets, so I had the unique ability to test the actual power coming out of my chargers etc

I plugged it into the Air 3 Charging Hub using the cable that came with it that is rated for 100W, and I wasn’t able to get more than 50-60 Watts. I’ve since recharged three batteries about 6-8 times total, including some that were at ~20% and I still couldn’t get 100W from the Anker brick.

I then used my MacBook’s 65W USB-C brick and I instantly got the full 65W going to the charging hub until the battery was above ~80%, which is when it slowly ramped down until full charge.

After this, I decided to use the Anker brick to charge my MacBook Pro. I used the USB-C cable that came with the Anker brick instead of Apple’s USB-C to MagSafe cable. Lo and behold, my MacBook, which was at 75% charge, showed a 75W draw. in addition, the Mac identified the charger as a “100W” charger. So it totally can provide 100W and the cable comes with it is indeed rated at 100W, it just won’t charge the Air 3 Hub at full power.

I have since purchased the Oraimo AniFast 120W charger hub from Amazon for about USD$29. This has more ports and also comes with a 100W rated USB-C cable. This charger is also advertised as a PPS charger (beside PD) so I am hoping I will get full output. I will post results.
I’d like to update my post as my new Oraimo 120W charger (Amazon Link) arrived and I have charged up the batteries multiple times with it. It has 3 USB-C ports, each one providing up to 100W if used alone and then splitting the power depending on what is plugged where.
IMG_4047.jpegIMG_4048.jpegIMG_4049.jpegIMG_4050.jpeg

This charger does indeed provide the full 100W to the charging hub with the provided 10ft cable and other >100W USB-C cables. However, it gets hot and starts to slowly reduce output from 100W to 80W in 5W increments as it gets hotter and hotter. Fortunately, at its hottest, it does not decrease the power below 80W.
So it basically starts charging the first battery at 100W, decreases in 5W increments about every 10 minutes until it’s at 80W and charges the remainder of the first battery and the other two batteries at a constant 80W.
When timing the charge cycles, the batteries charge from almost empty (one light blinking) to completely full in about an hour (latest three charges took (1) 58 minutes, (2) 56 minutes, (3) 62 minutes), which is DJI’s advertised time for a 100W charger. So I imagine the official DJI 100W charger also decreases the output slightly as it heats up during a charge.

Also keep in mind that the cable that comes with the drone has a max capacity of 65W so it will not charge anything above 65W no matter what brick is used. You need a specific 100W USB-C cable to charge at 100 watts.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne