DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI RC and GPS - not good news

Sorry confused, the M3P PDF states (page 15):-

If it is necessary to update the Home Point during a flight (such as where the user’s position has changed), the Home Point can be manually updated in Safety of System Settings on DJI Fly

This clearly indicates that if the user’s position has changed, then manually change the home point in settings. what would be the point in altering the RTH position based on where the M3P is?

The user manual clearly states the RC has gps. Multiple problems with the RC, and if you want just the aircraft only, not available till mid july 2022.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220519-224448_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220519-224448_Drive.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
The user manual clearly states the RC has gps. Multiple problems with the RC, and if you want just the aircraft only, not available till mid july 2022.
It does.

Really bad Satnav in the car?

why do you need gps on the controller when the mini is off
The point is as per my post that the controller is not using the documented internal GPS and therefore functions that require GPS in the RC are not working.
To me it is important the DJI delivery what they advertise, and give users the freedom to use features that require RC GPS as they wish.

Reactions: Torque
The point is as per my post that the controller is not using the documented internal GPS and therefore functions that require GPS in the RC are not working.
To me it is important the DJI delivery what they advertise, and give users the freedom to use features that require RC GPS as they wish.

maybe there is gps in the controller. but at the same time maybe they designed it to only activate when it has connection to the mini 3 pro (as some stated it does), to save battery, whatever... further updating the home point is a manual process.

So tell us again how the GPS in your RC is not functioning...?

You started off with GPS issues when the drone is off, which if you understand how the system works and communicates, is not an issue. Then you mentioned updating the home point, which it looks like you didn't know the procedure and/or what updating the home point is actually used for. (Yes, you can use it to update an approximate position where the drone is, but that seems to be a strange desire.)

I went back through the thread again, but I think I'm missing something...

So tell us again how the GPS in your RC is not functioning...?

You started off with GPS issues when the drone is off, which if you understand how the system works and communicates, is not an issue. Then you mentioned updating the home point, which it looks like you didn't know the procedure and/or what updating the home point is actually used for. (Yes, you can use it to update an approximate position where the drone is, but that seems to be a strange desire.)

I went back through the thread again, but I think I'm missing something...
I could be wrong and I have no DJI RC for testing but I think what he's trying to say is that the GPS on the RC is not working, as a consequence if you move away from your HP and want to make your current position as a new HP is impossible because there is no record of your new position.

I could be wrong and I have no DJI RC for testing but I think what he's trying to say is that the GPS on the RC is not working, as a consequence if you move away from your HP and want to make your current position as a new HP is impossible because there is no record of your new position.
None of them update your current position as the new home point. You have to go to the map and manually update the new home point by selecting it on the map... and that can be anywhere.

Reactions: boldblue737
None of them update your current position as the new home point. You have to go to the map and manually update the new home point by selecting it on the map... and that can be anywhere.
There is an option that do that but you'll have to have a RC with a working GPS. During flight go settings > Safety > Update Home Point > Click on RC icon and your current position becomes your HP.
If your RC has no GPS (in RC-N1 is your phone) there is no way to know your position In the map resulting in the inability to update your HP with your current position.
Again, I'm not sure if this the problem he's facing.
Go directly to 2:40 on this video

Last edited:
Reactions: RUFFSTUFF
Why don’t you guys go to a big field and try it out yourself? Take off from a position and move with a bicycle or on foot to the other side of the field and see if you can update RTH point. And why not let us know if this works or not.

Reactions: KLRSKIR and bayou7
It would have to in order to support a change in RTH position.
The M3P would have no idea where to return to if you moved position with the RC.
The drone returns to it's home position when you took off or set it's home position. It doesn't depend on the location of the controller.

I can confirm, that the DJI RC has built-in GNSS of some sort. And it is most likely a software problem from my experience, just did a test right now. Will post the details in a few minutes...

My steps were:

i was outside, my Mini3Pro was turned on, my RC had Wifi and BT disabled.

I was flying a few minutes and then landed, turned off the drone, while the App/RC was still active.

On the map i could not see the blue dot. Not during the flight and not afterwards.
I then switched to the big map-mode and activated "find my drone". A few seconds later my blue dot appeared. And it also was visible in the big map mode (I exited "find my drone").

I then began to walk around - my position was updated correctly, orientation (compass) also worked like expected.

So there must be some sort of GNSS chip installed i just think that it is not correctly activated during the use of the DJI-Fly-App.
Edit: Tested again with no drone connected. The blue dot appears a few moments after i enter the "find my drone" menu. This action seems to trigger a new sync request for the GNSS-Chip

Please do report if you have a similar behaviour

Ok sometimes it does not work, then i wait for a minute or so in the "find my drone" screen and then switch back to the usual map-screen. did this a few times and the blue dot appears.

In the Fly app, under "Update home point", there is the remote controller icon to update home point to where the controller is, but it does not work. Just throws error messages as mentioned further up in the thread.

My test was with the drone flying, so if the DJI RC had a functioning GPS lock, it should of course have worked. Really hoping this is just a software issue, because if there is GPS in the controller (as per the spec), it makes no sense for this function to not work.

In the Fly app, under "Update home point", there is the remote controller icon to update home point to where the controller is, but it does not work. Just throws error messages as mentioned further up in the thread.

My test was with the drone flying, so if the DJI RC had a functioning GPS lock, it should of course have worked. Really hoping this is just a software issue, because if there is GPS in the controller (as per the spec), it makes no sense for this function to not work.
Is there a blue dot to indicate where the controller is on the map before you select the controller icon?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom