DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Remote concerns:

G284L

Reactions
Some simple questions:
First I am impressed with all the remote control options for All tablets. Awesome job to those who take the time to design and make them. BUT :
My concerns and by all means I am not an expert. How can it not interfere with some of transmit and receive options on the remote ? Their is a lot of talk and controversy over the accessories that extend the range (range extenders) over the parabolic reflection, and the antennas have to be adjusted properly for proper flights. So how by having a tablet over the top of your antennas not reduce the effectiveness of the transmission and receive ? Not to mention that some tablets have magnets in them.
Another concern along the same lines : on the remote between the antennas there is a piece of smoke colored plastic, it would appear to me it something to do with transmit and or receive , is it for video, gps, compass not sure, I don't know but it does something or it would not look like that. Again most of the tablet designs block most of that area. Someone convince me that are totally safe. It's a concern with all the stories about fly always crashing loosing signals. I personal don't use them I have more of a concern with my iPad mini 4 and the magnets interferes with the joysticks when mounting it between the legs of the remote. The joysticks use magnet fields to work.

Thank You my rant is over and no offense to those who make design and use the mounts for tablets.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

The device is attached to the RC on the bottom. It's not near the antennas. Your concern is moot. :p

Um, no its not. You just didn't understand his question. They aren't asking about the connection between the remote and tablet.

What they are asking is; Some devices and mounts such as using a MavMount with a larger tablet like an Ipad Air 2 or Ipad Pro 9.7 sits on top of the remote, more or less obstructing the antennas from clearly "seeing" the drone. So how does this not negatively affect the transmission/reception of the signal to and from the drone?

When you look at the user's manual it shows the "correct" angle to position the antennas so that it can communicate with the drone.

Also there there is a video showing where a person mounts an Ipad Mini in the stock device holders with the magnetic edge towards the remote (used for accessories like keyboards). He switches to a view showing stick position. It shows the magnetic edge on the Ipad is having an adverse affect on the sticks. Simply rotating the Ipad fixes the issue.

I think the OP is asking wondering if those things are causing some of the issues we read about in this forum...

The device is attached to the RC on the bottom. It's not near the antennas. Your concern is moot. :p

Um, no its not. You just didn't understand his question. They aren't asking about the connection between the remote and tablet.

What they are asking is; Some devices and mounts such as using a MavMount with a larger tablet like an Ipad Air 2 or Ipad Pro 9.7 sits on top of the remote, more or less obstructing the antennas from clearly "seeing" the drone. So how does this not negatively affect the transmission/reception of the signal to and from the drone?

When you look at the user's manual it shows the "correct" angle to position the antennas so that it can communicate with the drone.

Also there there is a video showing where a person mounts an Ipad Mini in the stock device holders with the magnetic edge towards the remote (used for accessories like keyboards). He switches to a view showing stick position. It shows the magnetic edge on the Ipad is having an adverse affect on the sticks. Simply rotating the Ipad fixes the issue.

I think the OP is asking wondering if those things are causing some of the issues we read about in this forum...

Based on the manual, the diagram shows the RC might be beam forming the signal. If you don't know what that means, it's the process of using two or more antennas for the same signal and phase shifting one of the signals to control the direction of the signal. This allows for the controller to extend the range of the signal while not broadcasting to the useless locations like beneath the antennas, where the drone is usually less likely to be. It's a common method in cell towers too where the aim the signal towards the desired location and leave barren locations without a signal. That's why cell service can quickly disappear when leaving the city plopped in the middle of nowhere, but is extremely strong when you enter into the city again.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I doubt any beam-forming is going on here. That's useful for stationary mounted systems, but would be worthless for anything hand-held (unless you also mount some sort of sighting tube).

I am guessing that the two poles are simply dedicated TX and RX. I have no evidence to this theory though.

I doubt any beam-forming is going on here. That's useful for stationary mounted systems, but would be worthless for anything hand-held (unless you also mount some sort of sighting tube).

I am guessing that the two poles are simply dedicated TX and RX. I have no evidence to this theory though.
Today's technology is strong enough to adapt the beam angle. The RC is aware of the general location of the drone and adapts the beam direction to enhance the signal. Would be consistent with the experiences I had so far. I did a sudden 180 while flying once and the with the RC all turned the signal momentarily dropped but then recovered.

Today's technology is strong enough to adapt the beam angle. The RC is aware of the general location of the drone and adapts the beam direction to enhance the signal. Would be consistent with the experiences I had so far. I did a sudden 180 while flying once and the with the RC all turned the signal momentarily dropped but then recovered.

The R/C does not have a compass or an accelerometer... it depends on the phone for GPS only for limited features, and many phones have no (or ridiculously bad) compass sensors.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme