DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI RID: Bluetooth, wifi, or both?

Droning on and on...

Reactions
RID can be broadcast over Bluetooth or wifi. The wifi beacon broadcasts are MUCH harder for cellphones to detect.

And therefore much harder for Karen. LEOs will have the proper equipment, so it's not gonna thwart them.

Question is, what protocol are DJI drones with integrated RID using?

From everything I can find googling, it looks like wifi, and only wifi. I can find nothing authoritative.

It makes sense. For other reasons, like Quick Transfer, most (all?) drones starting with the Mavic seem to have wifi already. I can't recall any DJI drone having BT, on the other hand.

If all this is the actual state of affairs with DJI and RID, then that's very good news! Those worried can relax... Karen harassment, and petty thieves are unlikely to be much of a problem.

If anyone can find out authoritatively please share! I'll keep looking too.

If I recall correctly, Bluetooth is pretty short range so I would guess that all RID is wifi.

RID can be broadcast over Bluetooth or wifi. The wifi beacon broadcasts are MUCH harder for cellphones to detect.

And therefore much harder for Karen. LEOs will have the proper equipment, so it's not gonna thwart them.

Question is, what protocol are DJI drones with integrated RID using?

From everything I can find googling, it looks like wifi, and only wifi. I can find nothing authoritative.

It makes sense. For other reasons, like Quick Transfer, most (all?) drones starting with the Mavic seem to have wifi already. I can't recall any DJI drone having BT, on the other hand.

If all this is the actual state of affairs with DJI and RID, then that's very good news! Those worried can relax... Karen harassment, and petty thieves are unlikely to be much of a problem.

If anyone can find out authoritatively please share! I'll keep looking too.
Neither Wifi or Bluetooth have sufficient range to broadcast RID info. As a corporate pilot (retired) for years, transponders are a similar device in all commercial aircraft & most private for transmitting a specific assigned codes identifying an aircraft to control centers while airborne. Transponders use radio frequencies to accomplish this task. Quote “The transponder receives interrogation from the Secondary Surveillance Radar on 1030 MHz and replies on 1090 MHz.”. My best guess RID my use the same type of communication.

Neither Wifi or Bluetooth have sufficient range to broadcast RID info. As a corporate pilot (retired) for years, transponders are a similar device in all commercial aircraft & most private for transmitting a specific assigned codes identifying an aircraft to control centers while airborne. Transponders use radio frequencies to accomplish this task. Quote “The transponder receives interrogation from the Secondary Surveillance Radar on 1030 MHz and replies on 1090 MHz.”. My best guess RID my use the same type of communication.
RID is Bluetooth 5 or LTE. It really depends on whether you are managing a fleet or are a single drone operator. The FAA has made it clear in it;s specifications that nothing like transponders or ADSB will be used. Bluetooth 5 has a pretty amazing range.

RID is Bluetooth 5 or LTE. It really depends on whether you are managing a fleet or are a single drone operator. The FAA has made it clear in it;s specifications that nothing like transponders or ADSB will be used. Bluetooth 5 has a pretty amazing range.
Good to know

Still waiting for a low cost add-on RID. My old birds gonna need it soon. Hope my A2 get it with firmware late Sept.

Still waiting for a low cost add-on RID. My old birds gonna need it soon.
Probably gonna be a while since everyone is going to want to make bank based on it being a requirement.

Maybe once it gets there someone will get pissed off enough to develop a DIY/open source solution.

Reactions: Capt KO
Probably gonna be a while since everyone is going to want to make bank based on it being a requirement.

Maybe once it gets there someone will get pissed off enough to develop a DIY/open source solution.
If my A2 gets the update end of Sept as expected, my Phantoms will sit until a reasonable RID option arrives.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne