DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Standard goggles

Hayabusa

Reactions
I typically use my goggles to fly but want to know if there is a way to extend range. Plus can an antenna be added to have a more circular signal range. When your flying with goggles you sometimes are behind you or not directly facing remote antennas. Would like not to have to keep moving around to aim remote directly at ac.
Any thoughts.
Mike

I typically use my goggles to fly but want to know if there is a way to extend range. Plus can an antenna be added to have a more circular signal range. When your flying with goggles you sometimes are behind you or not directly facing remote antennas. Would like not to have to keep moving around to aim remote directly at ac.
Any thoughts.
Mike

This is why they came out with the DJI goggles RE. As far as modifying the goggles to use a different antenna This is above my pay grade

I made the mistake and bought the cylindrical antenna it does not fit on the RE Goggles. You also do not need to install the pagoda antenna unless your racing.
Correct me if wrong but I think the RE goggles are made to also work with non DJI FPV drones. The antenna is for analog signals. DJI drones link the same way as with the original goggles and the external antennal is not used for DJI drones

Both the standard and RE work exactly the same with Mavics, they both already have 4 antennas, 2 in front and 2 at the back of the headband. The extra antenna on the RE is for analog reception.

I thought the thread title was for the standard goggles...;)
Someone said "they made the RE to improve that" which is incorrect, hence the mention of them.

Reactions: WAXMAN
Both the standard and RE work exactly the same with Mavics, they both already have 4 antennas, 2 in front and 2 at the back of the headband. The extra antenna on the RE is for analog reception

Except the RE edition uses both 2.4 and 5.8 GHz. The RE edition can be used with analog yes but they also make ocusync antennae for the goggles so it can be used with the goggles RE video module so that antenna can be used for ocusync.

This came up in another thread and I contacted DJI about it cause I was looking at getting them.

It took awhile to get an answer but they said you can use the ocusync external antenna with the Mavic but they said it was questionable if that would actually be better as that only changes the gain. This is what I was referring to in my original answer. I know there is still some reported issues with the RE goggles but curious if that helps at all. Anyway like I said in my original post no way to add an external antenna with the white goggles without some major mods and I am not awhile of any are you?

Ok then, I guess that answers my question.
No “simple” way of boosting range in white goggles?
Just curious but why can’t/don’t the goggles connect to the Rc insteadbif ac? As far as I can go with controller with video and control. I would be connected.
I’m sure there’s a logical reason..
And in 1, 2, 3...
Thanks
Mike

I would like to know why the mavic 2 has poor range with the goggles while the old bird has great range . Strange

Except the RE edition uses both 2.4 and 5.8 GHz.
Correct but this is irrelevant for the M1 since it doesn't do 5.8 anyway. For the M2 the whole system is broken and the range is poor both on 2.4 and 5.8, so not of much use.

they also make ocusync antennae for the goggles so it can be used with the goggles RE video module so that antenna can be used for ocusync.
Incorrect, the Ocusync unit like the Mavics use the internal antennas. External one makes no difference.

For the record I have both goggle types and 2 Ocusync units and done quite a bit of flying (and testing) with the whole lot.

You know it would really be nice if you could check before you incorrectly try to correct people.
Please take your own advice. The 5.8GHz on the M1 only refers to the Wi-Fi adapter, used when connected directly to a phone with the switch set to Wi-Fi. NOT to the Ocusync link.

No that isn't clear in the specs, which is why just reading them is not always enough.

Last edited:
Please take your own advice. The 5.8GHz on the M1 only refers to the Wi-Fi adapter, used when connected directly to a phone with the switch set to Wi-Fi. NOT to the Ocusync link.

No that isn't clear in the specs, which is why just reading them is not always enough.

Sorry Kilrah the specs clearly differentiate between Ocusync and Wi-Fi. I’m not sure the remote has 5.8 reception that was never my argument but the goggles RE does. Why would they have FCC and CE power transmissions on here if it wasn’t ocusync. You think wi/fi has 23dbm? Haha

941EACE3-DC9B-48C8-AB11-A1C925BDA9E6.png

Just talked to DJI support and they confirmed that the Mavic Pro switches between 2.4 and 5.8 using the goggles re “but it uses ocusync and not ocusync 2.0”

Every 5.8Ghz capable Ocusync device lets you select the band to operate on. The Mavic 1 doesn't, it's only 2.4GHz.

Has been confirmed many times by people with spectrum analyzers, including myself.

The remote doesn't do 5.8 even from specs. So even if the aircraft did and you could switch to 5.8 with the goggles, which you can't, you would lose the ability to control it...

Last edited:
Every 5.8Ghz capable Ocusync device lets you select the band to operate on. The Mavic 1 doesn't, it's only 2.4GHz.

Has been confirmed many times by people with spectrum analyzers, including myself.

The remote doesn't do 5.8 even from specs. So even if the aircraft did and you could switch to 5.8 with the goggles, which you can't, you would lose the ability to control it...

The remote communicates to the ac at 2.4. The ac sends the video back at 5.8 or 2.4. I don’t know about controlling weather it’s 2.4 or 5.8 with the goggles.

Here’s my exchange with the DJI rep I didn’t even ask about the antenna and he offered this up.

Attachments

• 4AF02A31-05F5-4FF8-AA96-FBDC4F5623B3.png
    4AF02A31-05F5-4FF8-AA96-FBDC4F5623B3.png
    216.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 82143179-5871-4E8C-A569-F0E87C5B8A3C.png
    82143179-5871-4E8C-A569-F0E87C5B8A3C.png
    207.6 KB · Views: 11
As common from other threads here with anything a little too "complex" (aka they can't just get off of a single product's spec sheet) the DJI support guy either does not know what they're talking about or answers the wrong question. Here it seems he's answering about the Goggles themselves (you're interested in buying the Goggles RE, he answers "this product supports 5.8" but completely ignored the part of your question about whether they can actually use 5.8 in conjuntion with the M1). Have to read between the lines and expect them to answer the simplest question for them to answer, not what you're actually asking (since that's what they always seem to be doing from experiences posted here). Often they aren't good English speakers and jsut misunderstand, but that means you can rarely rely on their answers.

The last sentence blows it since he says "if you do not attach the antenna it is recommended to choose 2.4" but it's nonsense since you cannot choose frequency on an M1 in the first place. And that is... becasue it cannot do 5.8 Ocusync.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanManNYC