DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI too restrictive?

Okay, I'll have to look into that. I don't remember the details, but I read something to the effect that DJI would collect flight data and would make it available to authorities, if required. Not that I plan on doing anything illegal or stupid, but I'm a private kind of guy.

If you lean towards the paranoid end of the spectrum and tend to believe the conspiracy theories then DJI equipment is likely a bad choice. I would recommend that you look elsewhere.

Reactions: dannybgoode
Once off warranty you can do to your drone like I did to one of my mavic pros . I used NLD ( No Limit Drones ) and I opened up the performance but they can also mod NFZ stuff . That didn’t interest me as I live in the remote north and have unlimited space . But if your NFZ borders are messing up the mod could help I think

Reactions: kissmybrass
If you are in Australia, the consumer protection laws over ride much of the agreement. Importantly the retailer is responsible for any statutory warrenty, not the manufacturer.

DJI has the potential ability to access images and GPS data at the behest of the Chinese gov't. They were in the news within the last year over these concerns. I don't really care to debate or argue about it, that's just the way it is. For what it's worth, I don't care to have ANY company have my flight data. But again, that's my personal feelings on the matter. Nobody is going to change my mind.

They can see the same images from a Google search. GPS data? Unless this is matched with something, it does not mean anything. The only thing it could be matched with is a photo or video... and then we are back to a Google search showing as much information.

What other information do you think they could get that is not pointless?

dear PropSpin i was not suggesting that you were an idiot but there are people out there who are and we all have to suffer for thier stupidity with reguards to the flight data that DJI collect there have been occasions when that data has helped prove people were not flying illegally and were following the rules so preventing them from prosecution these things always have two sides please enjoy your new hobby and good luck if you decide to become a commercial pilot in the future

Reactions: Inspirephil
As others have mentioned, if you elect not to share your flight record info with DJI, then they should not have it. Check out the privacy settings of the Go4 app. As far as any incriminating information (e.g. airspace violations), that will be on the drone and with the controller app software. Perusing the file system of the app under DJI/dji.go.v4/LOG you will find a few interesting files of note:
./ERROR_POP_LOG - contains of log of each flight where an error pop-up message was generated.
./CACHE/AoaReportHelper/ - appears to contain logs of flights that may have had an airspace violation.
So the more likely scenario is that if you do something wrong and have your equipment confiscated, the evidence will be on your phone.

Reactions: Inspirephil
Welcome to the Forum ...
With all the ways that you can injure somebody or break something when you fly your DJI product, DJI just HAS to cover its a*** in regard to the responsibilities it has to inform you of, and the responsibilities it must delegate to the end-user (you). With all the crazy stuff shown on YouTube regarding people flying their drones where and in ways they shouldn't - I think we are fortunate that what we get from DJI - really - is minimal!! If you want to campaign in the right direction, then be an ambassador for your hobby and show everyone that you come across that you fly safe and responsibly ... If we all did that, there would be no need for the rules and regulations that we all complain about at some point!
There are a lot of video's on YouTube that will assist you with settings to get good [commercial] quality video from your Mavic Pro 2 ... Have fun and fly safe ...
Very good commentary on how there’s people who create problems with using their drones in the wrong way. I support flying responsibly in all ways. If people continue flying irresponbly then our regulations will get tighter and more restrictive.

Thanks for all the replies.
First, I'm not looking to fly it illegally, and I'm aware that there are plenty of idiots out there with drones. My concern is that the complaints and the frustrations that I've seen is that DJI is more, or has been more restrictive than the FAA regulations. Also it seems a lot of people have had problems getting their drone unlocked even though they're not in a no-fly zone and have authorization in the airspace in question. Or that they can't get the drone unlocked because they're in an area with no internet connection, or that the geofencing incorrectly designates their area as a no-fly zone. In other words, I've gotten the feeling that using a DJI product can be a huge painful, frustrating experience. It seems like a lot of professionals started complaining when DJI introduced more consumer level drones and started implementing more restrictive measures. And honestly, with DJI being a Chinese company, I'm not sure I trust them with my data.

I'm located in Virginia roughly between DC and Richmond. I'll be flying recreationally initially but will be getting my commercial certificate soon. I'm interested in doing real estate work. I figure that the mavic 2 pro's camera will be good enough for that.
If DJI equipment is going to be a huge pain to use I'd rather bail now. But from what I'm seeing you guys say, maybe it's not that bad?
No it’s not that bad if you take a look at the FAA regulations DJI’s are nothing!! That’s where the real restrictions come into play!! :(

If you lean towards the paranoid end of the spectrum and tend to believe the conspiracy theories then DJI equipment is likely a bad choice. I would recommend that you look elsewhere.

I don't lean that way, but I am cautious AND a realist. Beyond that I can tell you for certain (not 'cause if found stuff on the internet) that there is real risk in using Chinese manufactured chips and equipment, AND that the Chinese have quite the setup for info gathering. In fact, most likely there is info gathering and targeting in forums just like this one. This is a real problem for the US generally, and the gov't specifically because a lot of electronic equipment is manufactured by Chinese companies. We've lost our manufacturing capacity for things that matter in the big picture. The US is generally stupid with respect to US companies operating in China as well. US companies that want to do business there have to hand over intellectual property (via partnering with Chinese companies, etc.) in order to access the Chinese market. Very, very short sighted.

So folks here (or anywhere) can say what they want about me, but it doesn't change the facts. Too many people are content to just be blind consumers and "go with the flow", lacking any critical thinking skills. For me, it's something that's always in the back of my head and a very real concern. At this point, for me, I figure using DJI products is okay, but I'm not thrilled with the state of affairs and prefer to keep my eyes wide open.

Reactions: Rebelvis
I don't lean that way, but I am cautious AND a realist. Beyond that I can tell you for certain (not 'cause if found stuff on the internet) that there is real risk in using Chinese manufactured chips and equipment, AND that the Chinese have quite the setup for info gathering. In fact, most likely there is info gathering and targeting in forums just like this one. This is a real problem for the US generally, and the gov't specifically because a lot of electronic equipment is manufactured by Chinese companies. We've lost our manufacturing capacity for things that matter in the big picture. The US is generally stupid with respect to US companies operating in China as well. US companies that want to do business there have to hand over intellectual property (via partnering with Chinese companies, etc.) in order to access the Chinese market. Very, very short sighted.

So folks here (or anywhere) can say what they want about me, but it doesn't change the facts. Too many people are content to just be blind consumers and "go with the flow", lacking any critical thinking skills. For me, it's something that's always in the back of my head and a very real concern. At this point, for me, I figure using DJI products is okay, but I'm not thrilled with the state of affairs and prefer to keep my eyes wide open.

Those of us working for Federal agencies in particular are well aware of the hardware issues surrounding some foreign companies' products. That's not the point here. While there are clear reasons for other governments to want to compromise sensitive data security, which potentially includes data from drones used in sensitive areas or operations, they are not interested in your flights around the local park. No one is. The data transmitted from the DJI equipment has been tested. It's understood, both when cloud sync is enabled and when it is not.

If you want total anonymity when flying then don't use a commercial product at all. And don't carry a cell phone or any other personal electronics capable of communication. And don't try to argue that such an attitude is not paranoid.

For me, with the latest DJI update, I cannot even launch inside my own house. For Real Estate sales purposes. Previously, I could launch and practice tripod mode flights inside to better gain experience for in house flights. Now, with latest update, no start, period!

Unless you want to launch within a mile of a major airport, you'd not have any flight issues. As far as the camera quality... the MP2 is within DJI's consumer line and not their professional line. Depending on the quality you are wanting, you may want to look at the Inspire 2.
Its been my experience sometimes trying to fly MP anywhere less than five miles of a commercial airport, I was unable to even activate the props much less fly. This is built into the DJI GO4 app. Don't like it but that's the way it is.

For me, with the latest DJI update, I cannot even launch inside my own house. For Real Estate sales purposes. Previously, I could launch and practice tripod mode flights inside to better gain experience for in house flights. Now, with latest update, no start, period!

And why is that - are you in very close proximity to a major airport, with no unlock option?

And why is that - are you in very close proximity to a major airport, with no unlock option?
My distance from the Class C has not changed since the house was build in 91. For the past several years, take off and landing at home has never once been an issue. Even prior to 107, I could notify both ATC and AP then fly. All without any additional input for token or anything else. Now, even the props won’t turn. Yes, I am within a mile and half of AP center. But, since the latest firmware update, I have a brick. As I previously stated, catching a gig with a RE agent for interior/exterior home video (tripod mode) was nice, but NOT in this area any more. Roof inspections are out the window as well. AGAIN, never had any problem in this area until latest firmware update. Yes, I have unlock option, but my question is, if I never had to use it previously, why now? Nothing has changed except DJI firmware! Mavic Air.

My distance from the Class C has not changed since the house was build in 91. For the past several years, take off and landing at home has never once been an issue. Even prior to 107, I could notify both ATC and AP then fly. All without any additional input for token or anything else. Now, even the props won’t turn. Yes, I am within a mile and half of AP center. But, since the latest firmware update, I have a brick. As I previously stated, catching a gig with a RE agent for interior/exterior home video (tripod mode) was nice, but NOT in this area any more. Roof inspections are out the window as well. AGAIN, never had any problem in this area until latest firmware update. Yes, I have unlock option, but my question is, if I never had to use it previously, why now? Nothing has changed except DJI firmware! Mavic Air.
Not to divert from the topic at hand, but out of curiosity what version f/w do you have?

Not to divert from the topic at hand, but out of curiosity what version f/w do you have?
App 4.3.4
Aircraft Latest Firmware: 01.00.0500
Remote Controller Latest Firmware: 01.00.0200
Precise Fly Safe Database (Aircraft) Latest Firmware: 01.00.01.12
Precise Fly Safe Database (App) Latest Firmware: 01.00.01.12
Basic Fly Safe Database Latest Firmware: 01.00.01.09

All databases checked for possible updates and report back as Latest Current Version

What has changed is the DJI GEO implementation - it is now much more detailed and accurate.

DJI GEO: DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

Those of us working for Federal agencies in particular are well aware of the hardware issues surrounding some foreign companies' products. That's not the point here. While there are clear reasons for other governments to want to compromise sensitive data security, which potentially includes data from drones used in sensitive areas or operations, they are not interested in your flights around the local park. No one is. The data transmitted from the DJI equipment has been tested. It's understood, both when cloud sync is enabled and when it is not.

If you want total anonymity when flying then don't use a commercial product at all. And don't carry a cell phone or any other personal electronics capable of communication. And don't try to argue that such an attitude is not paranoid.

My attitude is that I don't trust the Chinese gov't and that I'm generally suspicious of any company with the ability to collect any type of data from me, especially Chinese companies. I don't even trust the U.S. gov't when push comes to shove (i.e. I only trust them so far). The potential for abuse is very real, and I'm aware of that, no matter what present investigations may or may not have revealed. If you want to call that paranoia, fine, that's your prerogative.

I wouldn't expect anybody to care about my flights around a park. But somebody might care about aggregating a multitude of images of other locations and building a bigger picture and GPS data makes it that much easier to filter. DJI has been accused by US agencies of spying. DJI vehemently denies it. I'm not sure at the moment exactly where the truth lies, but I do have a concern, which is what I voiced at the outset. Obviously, you don't have to agree that there's any cause for concern, but rather than suggest that I'm being paranoid, it would be more helpful for you to provide references to the fact that there's some sort of independent oversight going on.

I'm also well aware of my options for being more "anonymous", and that there's already a lot of data collection going on that I may have already opted into, but I'm not sure how your suggestions at the end of your post are helpful. I've decided to go ahead and use my Mavic 2, so obviously I've decided that the current state of affairs is acceptable.

Peace.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drgnfli
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jigjjihhwohekjgh2857