DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you feel less conspicuous?

Richard-mavic

Reactions
Flew the mavic for the first time last night, and it's excellent. Totally different dynamics to my Inspire Pro, but wonderful all the same. Less responsive I'd say, and braking is a bit jerky. Perhaps need to fiddle with the gains a bit.

I was kind of expecting it to be a but quieter than it was, although I did fly at 11pm so there was very little other noise. The form factor is astounding though, and it really feels much more like a 'toy' than a 'tool' - which I'm hoping will result in me getting less hassle from unwanted attention.

[by the way I say 'toy' in a good sense, as I find people are more forgiving of something that appears 'fun' rather than 'serious'. The Inspire Pro cannot be interpreted as anything other than a professional tool, and therefore draws further questions/interference. A bloke out playing with a 'toy' isn't, on the face of it, very sinister. Also I think to those with a nervous tendency, the Inspire looks like it will kill you if it crashes into you, whereas i don't have the same concern with the Mavic. I'm hoping the public perception is helped by this move towards miniaturisation].

Just wondering whether those of you who've been out and about feel less of a social pariah when flying, and whether you think it will lead to more mainstream acceptance of drones, or whether it will make it worse.

The fact that such a great camera is on the front of something so tiny is an astounding achievement.

Reactions: Pete Martson
That's my hope for the Mavic, certainly. I'll come share my impressions after I've owned it for a week, but ideally it will get a similar reaction as my Syma gets- polite curiosity from neighbors and bystanders in parks, and other quadcopter fliers coming over for a chat.

I've only flown mine a couple of times in the past 24 hours that I've had it, and as the weather is so atrocious I was the only poor sucker foolhardy enough to bother sticking my nose out of the door. However, what I can say is:
A) it took literally 30 seconds to get it in the air, so no faffing about with props etc.
B) personally, I was amazed at how quiet it is, compared to my Phantom.
C) it looks very 'insignificant ' in the air. I think you're quite right - the Inspire or even the Phantom have become instantly recognisable by the general public as 'spy drones' that have a penchant for crashing in to the nearest aircraft and can raise(totally unfounded) suspicion.
D) it's amazingly easy to just hand catch and pack away.
E) it flies like a dream (so far). Had a little play in Sport mode and it certainly has a bit of punch, but equally, it's just the right side of gentle in normal mode.(I've had a little play with some of the gains and toned down the air brakes).
F) the occusync thingy is a work of art. Superb clarity and totally glitch free, even behind a few trees at 500 metres.
E) even on these pathetically boring test flights, the footage looks fantastic to my eyes. Using 2.7K @ 30.

Haven't tried any of the other flight modes yet, and looking forward to giving it a go on a Litchi waypoint mission when the weather clears up a bit.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Last edited:
Honestly that's been my opinion just having them sitting next to each other... The Mavic will get a lot more use over time for me. To me it's less intimidating to the public, can be set up faster and doesn't have that classic "spy drone" shape which leads me to assume less time explaining to people im not taking photos of them.

It's funny actually. The Mavic is simply amazing. It is so small that most folks don't even notice it until you launch it.

Reactions: Wacker2611
I hovered 30 feet away from a pack of surfers. Most didn't even realize it was there.

I had a Typhoon H. It was just too big; took too long to set up and drew too much attention.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I have a Typhoon H that I have flown about 10 times. I'm not happy with it. You need a moving van to go on a shoot. The camera ... well I'm done.

I've only flown mine a couple of times in the past 24 hours that I've had it, and as the weather is so atrocious I was the only poor sucker foolhardy enough to bother sticking my nose out of the door. However, what I can say is:
A) it took literally 30 seconds to get it in the air, so no faffing about with props etc.
B) personally, I was amazed at how quiet it is, compared to my Phantom.
C) it looks very 'insignificant ' in the air. I think you're quite right - the Inspire or even the Phantom have become instantly recognisable by the general public as 'spy drones' that have a penchant for crashing in to the nearest aircraft and can raise(totally unfounded) suspicion.
D) it's amazingly easy to just hand catch and pack away.
E) it flies like a dream (so far). Had a little play in Sport mode and it certainly has a bit of punch, but equally, it's just the right side of gentle in normal mode.(I've had a little play with some of the gains and toned down the air brakes).
F) the occusync thingy is a work of art. Superb clarity and totally glitch free, even behind a few trees at 500 metres.
E) even on these pathetically boring test flights, the footage looks fantastic to my eyes. Using 2.7K @ 30.

Haven't tried any of the other flight modes yet, and looking forward to giving it a go on a Litchi waypoint mission when the weather clears up a bit.

You should try FPV Camera app. It is much better than Autopilot and Litchi put together.
Their site is: fpvbooster.com
They now have the app for the Mavic as well as Inspire, naturally.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalinbbc27