DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you fly as much as you thought you would?

thecommodore

Reactions
Just wondering, i've been wanting a drone for a long time but i have these issue with wanting cool technology using it for a few weeks then never touching it again? was anyone else like me but finds they are constantly out and about with their mavics?

Definitely. Not flown mine in 2018. Not getting hardly any use out of it. I may consider selling which would be a shame.Probably flown it less than once a month since I bought it in Jan last year.

Reactions: thecommodore
Im guilty of having too many toys. A toy, to me, is something that is either not being used, is not appreciating in value, is not productive or doesnt make money for me. Do you have a handheld camera or smartphone? How often do you take pictures with them?

The great thing about buying a Mavic Pro right now is that prices have dropped alot and you can get a great deal at some shops.

I used my drone more than I ever thought I would. I loved RC for years, and a drone automated practically everything about the RC experience. My motto is, "drones dont crash themselves, you have to crash it."

If you like photography, and would like to experience RC flying at it's best, you cant go wrong with a Mavic. If you get buyers remorse after buying it, or you dont like seeing it sit on a shelf, sell it. You might lose a little money, but not too much. Mavic resale values are very high.

Reactions: JMF
Im guilty of having too many toys. A toy, to me, is something that is either not being used, is not appreciating in value, is not productive or doesnt make money for me. Do you have a handheld camera or smartphone? How often do you take pictures with them?

The great thing about buying a Mavic Pro right now is that prices have dropped alot and you can get a great deal at some shops.

I used my drone more than I ever thought I would. I loved RC or years, and a drone automated practically everything about the RC experience. My motto is, "drones dont crash themselves, you have to crash it."

If you like photography, and would like to experience RC flying at it's best, you cant go wrong with a Mavic. If you get buyers remorse after buying it, or you dont like seeing it sit on a shelf, sell it. You might lose a little money, but not too much. Mavic resale values are very high.

I take a lot of pictures on my phone when on holidays etc.. and sometimes vids on my go pro (but very rarely) was thinking a drone would be great for getting some cool random shots but at the same time i'm not convinced spending £949 on a mavic air (the one i've decided to go for) is justifiable. I'm planning on doing some world travelling in 2018 with my gf so thats what i was mostly going to use it for.

I've been very torn between the spark and the mavic air (you can find deals that are usually around £400 less for the spark) just because I don't want it to turn into a toy i leave sitting on the shelf.

I'm planning on doing some world travelling in 2018 with my gf so thats what i was mostly going to use it for.

Whatever you end up buying, buy it and fly it asap before your trip so you will know if you need to buy accessories, and if the camera and drone suit your needs. I was a Boy Scout for many years, and before a field trip, I sometimes prepared for weeks in advance, laying out everything and test fit it into my backpack. The drones cant be banged around too much, so take special care with it during transportation.

If you are going to backpack it, the Air doesnt take up much more room than the Spark, and it's far superior.

II used my drone more than I ever thought I would. I loved RC for years, and a drone automated practically everything about the RC experience. My motto is, "drones dont crash themselves, you have to crash it."
I too loved R/C for years (giant scale fixed-wing), and am indeed amazed at how the Mavic Pro literally flies itself. But for the joy of just flying for flying sake, the Mavic isn't as much fun to me as R/C. I mean I'd likely never take it down to my local flying field to fly the pattern. Heck the Mavic is so smart it wouldn't even allow the most basic of IMAC routines to be flown :).

But I very much enjoy my Mavic in different ways! It's in the top 5 of my all time "better than I expected!" purchases, along with the very first iPhone and of course my treasured Tamagotchi. Heck I could even make flying the pattern with my Mavic fun, by preplanning a waypoint mission with Litchi's Mission Hub from home and then taking it out to see it perform.

Mike

April will mark 1 year since I bought my MP. I flew it almost daily until December and then with the weather not being as cooperative over the winter I am down to about once a week flying it. I hope as the weather gets a little better I will be back to my daily flying. I never get enough of it.

I fly mine every chance I get and it never seems to b enough and how blessed am I my son bought it for me thinking I might enjoy it absolute magic.

I've had about 75 flights since end of December when I got my Mavic Pro Platinum. Very happy with it, and fly every chance I get. I'm using it mainly for landscape photography, and the MPP is a great platform. When I buy something I try to figure out cost per hour. If I use it a lot, it's money well spent with a low cost per hour. I have bought a few expensive things in the past that weren't used very much, so those were bad purchases. The Mavic Pro Platinum has been reliable (with a hefty learning curve) but has really been a good purchase. I've inadvertently sold a few others to skeptics who went out to fly with me and really liked it. Living in Arizona is also a positive, with a lot of good weather.

Been into photography and rc for 50 years.
Combined the two by sticking all sorts of cameras onto helicopters.
Then had various camera drones till the pro came out.
It's in the car all the time and goes on holidays.
Retire in July so will fly all the more.
Best money I've spent on a toy ever

Last edited:
Reactions: butterflyslicer
The only thing that prevents me from flying as much as I'd like is weather, location, and some confidence. Besides a local practice spot, I pretty much have to leave the city to find legal spots to fly which are at least 20 minutes out of town. Even so, I'm constantly seeking places to fly, things to shoot. I drive around with Airmap all the time trying to find good locations and I've been stacking up shot ideas, waiting for some better weather. When the weather looks good I keep Mavic Air in the car so I can fly at a moments notice when the opportunity presents itself. Some days I kick myself that I don't seize the moment, I think I'm a little overly cautious sometimes. I could fly even more if I was a little more ballsy.

I see the MP as a tool. And like any other tool, I don't equate its value with how often I use it. When I need it, nothing else will do, kinda like a table saw.
I like my table saw a lot, but I don't rip wood with it just for the hell of it...

Reactions: colinfowler
I see the MP as a tool. And like any other tool, I don't equate its value with how often I use it. When I need it, nothing else will do, kinda like a table saw.
I like my table saw a lot, but I don't rip wood with it just for the **** of it...
I like my saw too.
But it's not carried in my car encase the opertunity arises to use it

Reactions: joejaxvic123
I see my MPP as a tool too... and because it works well, I use it a lot. Simple really. A tool seldom used can be valuable, there when you need it... the MPP's value to me is I now use it all the time.. and cost per use goes way down. It's a side benefit, but a tangible one.

No. There's too many trees in my yard. Trees are like magnets and mavics are like steel.

Just wondering, i've been wanting a drone for a long time but i have these issue with wanting cool technology using it for a few weeks then never touching it again? was anyone else like me but finds they are constantly out and about with their mavics?

Before I finally took the plunge, I had een contemplating the purchase for months, exactly for the same reason as you: I loved the idea of having a drone, but would I still love having it after a couple of weeks? Only you can decide for yourself, but for me, I found it has become one of my favorite pastimes. I love photography, thinking about light and composition and whatnot. I have the same joy with my Mavic Pro, but it adds another dimension (literally): the fun of flying and seeing the world from above.

The last few weeks I have really had to restrain myself not to buy a Spark or Mavic Air as well... [emoji23][emoji1303]

I flew my Autel more than my Mavic. It seemed more fun to me to do low-level flying, especially with the banked turns. The XSP was very fun to fly.

I keep mine with me 95 percent of the time. And I fly multiple times a day. Not always but most days. My latest problem has been the amount of storage I’m needing to keep all my files. I enjoy going out of town on the weekends with the intention of finding new areas that I’ve never been to before. Arizona seems to be constantly surprising me. This was a route I took last month.

Screen Shot 2018-02-21 at 2.15.41 PM.JPG

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albestinspections