DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you format cards in aircraft or in computer?

Coming from years of DSLR’s , format with the device. I use card readers for downloading to the computer except for the Mavic 2. My short fingers can’t grasp the mini SD card where’s it located . It’s not the easiest card to remove and install either.

In theory it should not make a difference, as long as you choose the compatible file structure, FAT32 (32GB) in our case. However there are additional variables, such as cluster size that the device might be picky about.

I generally use computer when I have downloaded images using card reader. BUT reading the thread it seems people are for ever formatting! I do it once in a blue moon - is this not enough?

I generally use computer when I have downloaded images using card reader. BUT reading the thread it seems people are for ever formatting! I do it once in a blue moon - is this not enough?
It makes sure you have a completely fresh card next time you use it that's all

If you dig deeper there are options but the default standard is FAT32 - exactly the same as what any DJI drone uses.
So I did a format in the Mavic 2 to give it a test.

The default format was exFAT.

Formatting in the Mavic removed the volume label ( the name I gave the card ).

Conclusion - Will continue to format in the PC.

Mavic 2 formats to different file systems based upon the card size. If your card is larger than 32GB, it will use exFAT. If 32GB or smaller, it will use FAT32. If formatting in a computer, make sure to use the correct format system for the card size. Formatting through GO 4 in the aircraft uses the correct file system automatically.

Supported File SystemFAT32 (≤ 32 GB)
exFAT (> 32 GB)

Last edited:
in the mav then you know you have the correct format for the device

Exactly. Before I flew the Mavic, I brain-cramped and formatted the SD card of a previous drone using my computer.

Problem is, my computer is a MacBook and I incorrectly picked the wrong format type when I did the formatting. I didn't realize it until the next time I flew and was unable to take photos or video. The drone could not recognize the formatting of the card. All was well, once I re-formatted using the correct format but after that, I quit formatting on the computer, just in case.

Always in the aircraft. No exceptions. Even though file systems are supposed to be standardized and identical no matter where formatting is done, there can be some variations that cause issues in cameras and drones. It's rare, but it happens. This is well known in the digital camera world. It's not as much of a problem as it used to be, but to avoid issues with corrupted files cards should always be formatted in the recording device.

I have had my Mavic 2 Pro complain about a card formatted in my computer and it told me to format it. I was going to format in the drone anyways just to be safe, but it didn't like the card out of the computer.

Reactions: Thomas B
All this formatting talk has me confused. What I do is plug my bird into the computer and drag/drop/move my files to my laptop. What's the deal about formatting all the time - what is the benefit?

It's usually recommended to format in the device, some cameras expect unorthodox folder structure e.g. Sony.
It may well work either way, and it won't hurt to format in computer then do it in camera if you remember.
What is inadvisable is simply deleting the visible files as there are other hidden items which can cause problems after multiple deletes (without formatting).

Typically someone says they never format and nothing bad happened - well they are lucky, it's highly annoying to discover corrupted files when you try to download, anything reducing that risk is sensible, and you can format the card while the Mavic is finding satellite lock so no time wasted.

Exactly. Before I flew the Mavic, I brain-cramped and formatted the SD card of a previous drone using my computer.

Problem is, my computer is a MacBook and I incorrectly picked the wrong format type when I did the formatting. I didn't realize it until the next time I flew and was unable to take photos or video. The drone could not recognize the formatting of the card. All was well, once I re-formatted using the correct format but after that, I quit formatting on the computer, just in case.
What file structure format did the computer apply to the card? Cluster size?

All this formatting talk has me confused. What I do is plug my bird into the computer and drag/drop/move my files to my laptop. What's the deal about formatting all the time - what is the benefit?
Connecting AC to PC for the sake of file transfer has the following two inefficiencies:
AC has to be powered on using the battery.
Transfer speed might not be as fast as might be using a card reader, especially if the card reader is built into the PC.

If you get a card read error on the PC, problem might not have much to do with the card's health or format. There's been lots of times I've gotten errors connecting a USB storage device, whether SD card reader or external HD. Retrying the connection or rebooting the PC might fix the problem. I never take the PC's recommendation to format the storage unless I am absolutely certain the storage is corrupt. If I do, the data is gone for sure. If I try other corrective means, I still have a chance to get the data.

Eventually you’ll have a full memory card. Copying files to another location does not delete the ones on the card. Then you have to reformat (erase) the card.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark