DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

do you need a cell phone to fly the avata2

no you do not in order to take off and fly

neither a phone subscription nor the phone itself

I was watching a video on set up and it said you need to plug the googles into a phone to do the fly app thing can this be done on a PC instead??

Reactions: sarahb
I have a tablet will that work?>
I'm still waiting for delivery of mine due to several frustrating UPS delays, but some tutorials show the unit plugged into a phone, others use their PC for the initial set up. So either should work. Scan the QR code inside the box lid and it will walk you through the setup.

how do you scan it with a pc lol
never mind I'll borrow my daughters phone when she visits

You can do the activation/upgrades from DJI assistant on a computer, yes.
Not sure about RID as I'm not in the US, but at least apart from this no phone is needed.

Who buys a high tech product like a DJI drone and doesn't have a smartphone though...

Last edited:
And you’re positive? Because the original Avata requires a phone connection for remote ID compliance.
Yeah I'm positive. The only reason why you maybe needed a mobile phone with the Avata 1 is if you didn't fly with the Goggles Integra which means if you flew with Goggles 2 then you had to hook up your phone to get Remote ID to trigger. This only happens with the latest Avata 1 software, if you had an earlier software version it was not necessary (but you wouldn't be flying under standard RID). In any case, you only need a compatible mobile device; a cellular subscription is not necessary. Use Googles Integra with Avata 1 and no mobile phone required.

The Avata 2 has standard RID for all software version and presently the Goggles 3 is the only compatible Goggles which means there are no circumstances where a mobile device is required to starts the props and take off to fly. Goggles 3 is very similar to Goggles Integra.

Setup the drone is a different story; don't remember too much about it.

I'm not so sure. It is probably not necessary to use a phone to fly once configured, but there is no place in the goggles 3 to enter the pilot ID, AFAIK that has to be done (once) in the Fly app.
Someone in the US needs to confirm.

Screenshot_20240418_223937_dji.go.v5.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not so sure. It is probably not necessary to use a phone to fly once configured, but there is no place in the goggles 3 to enter the pilot ID, AFAIK that has to be done (once) in the Fly app.

View attachment 174433
In the US, I don't believe there is an official FAA requirement for the drone pilot to provide anything along the lines of a Pilot ID or Operator Registration Number. The only relevant requirement for the recreational pilot is to enter their drone details online into the FAA database and to affix a sticker with your registration number to the outside of your drone where it is visible.

I guess I am not familiar with the step related to entering personal details into the goggles. I understand there may be a spot for it but it isn't part of the requirements.

Yeah I'm positive. The only reason why you maybe needed a mobile phone with the Avata 1 is if you didn't fly with the Goggles Integra which means if you flew with Goggles 2 then you had to hook up your phone to get Remote ID to trigger. This only happens with the latest Avata 1 software, if you had an earlier software version it was not necessary (but you wouldn't be flying under standard RID). In any case, you only need a compatible mobile device; a cellular subscription is not necessary. Use Googles Integra with Avata 1 and no mobile phone required.

The Avata 2 has standard RID for all software version and presently the Goggles 3 is the only compatible Goggles which means there are no circumstances where a mobile device is required to starts the props and take off to fly. Goggles 3 is very similar to Goggles Integra.

Setup the drone is a different story; don't remember too much about it.
That makes sense, thanks 👍. Good to know the Googles Integra solves the RID issue on the Avata 1 as well.

View attachment 174433
In the US you enter the S/N of the drone into the FAA database which is sent out via Remote ID which is how they know who you are.

The issue with the Goggles 2 and the Avata 1 apparently is the US requires the pilot’s location also be broadcast so either the googles or the RC needs to have GPS. This can be achieved by connecting a phone with GPS to the goggles 2 but it’s a PITA.

well I tried for 2 day to get this thing hooked up no joy its going back
Don’t be so quick to dump it. There’s gotta be YouTube videos on how to pair them. But if you REALLY wanna dump it I’ll give you my address ! lol.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom