DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does airport radar detect your drone?

Ok, I was just flying a Mavic near but not in class d airspace, about 150' altitude, and two large drones showed up and I think they were watching me. They were operating in class d airspace, so I suspect they were from the airport, possibly enforcing their airspace. They were high, and I could see them pretty well, so I think they were big, they were on station for an hour, before their batteries ran out and they had to leave, so I suspect that they flew directly to my location after some sort of radar detection of my Mavic. Like I said, they were in class d airspace, I was on the edge of class d. Anyone have anything like that happen to them??

It doesn't show up on radar but dji makes available to airports technology that can sense dji drones and provide their location.

Probably not right now, but they COULD soon: Tracking drones with DJI’s new Aeroscope technology
I have been wondering if the gov. would utilize cell towers, radio and tv towers to intercept signals from drones. The data could be automatically triangulated from tower to tower to locate the drone and send it to a display in any ATC control room. It would be a fairly simple thing to send the offending drone operator to cease and desist flying in that area or suffer heavy sanctions.

Semi-true, but I believe those cell and radio towers are set up for receiving and/or transmitting different frequencies unless retro-fitted. I can't figure out why the device above is needed at all since DJI could also choose to furnish that info directly to them without worrying about jumping through all the triangulation hoops. I for one did not read all the disclaimers when I installed their app, but it knows EVERYTHING you are doing on your remote and drone and is logged at DJI I have read somewhere.

Semi-true, but I believe those cell and radio towers are set up for receiving and/or transmitting different frequencies unless retro-fitted. I can't figure out why the device above is needed at all since DJI could also choose to furnish that info directly to them without worrying about jumping through all the triangulation hoops. I for one did not read all the disclaimers when I installed their app, but it knows EVERYTHING you are doing on your remote and drone and is logged at DJI I have read somewhere.
Is the data that DJI logs real time or delayed? Also, the reason I think the cell towers would be better is because of the many different brands of drones and other rc stuff.

edited to say: not better, but more intrusive is what I meant.

No. Your drone locates the GPS satellites. The GPS satellites don't locate you. Your drone is a receiver of GPS signals not a transmitter. When your drone locates the distance it is from 3 satellites (whose exact positions are known) based on time coded transmission, it can then triangulate its position on the earth. It is all trigonometry.

And a little bit of special relativity ;)

Short answer: No.

There are 4 types of radar used by air traffic control.

primary radar (PSR) is used to reflect a signal of off objects in the sky. The civil version is fairly primitive and cannot detect things that are small or low. This is currently only used as a backup for secondary radar.

secondary radar (SSR) receives transponder signals that the plane has to actively send out (drones don't have transponders) This is currently the most widely used system to track planes.

ground radar (SMR), for tracking planes on the airport grounds.

weather radar (WSR): used to detect clouds/precipitation. using very different signals that cannot even detect a full size plane.

The military has more advanced radar systems that could detect a drone if they wanted to, but setting it up to do so is pretty useless.

We've got all these no fly zones but is the controller seeing a bunch of drones flying around?
That is the whole reason for having NFZ's for drones. If they could see drones, they could regulate drones, or at least warn traffic about drones. Only with drones with transponders they would be able to do so. It will come pretty soon, but only for professional use probably.

Aren't we all filling in the section in the app so Aeroscope knows who and what and where you are and were????
I filled it in with my name and number!!

Ok, I was just flying a Mavic near but not in class d airspace, about 150' altitude, and two large drones showed up and I think they were watching me. They were operating in class d airspace, so I suspect they were from the airport, possibly enforcing their airspace. They were high, and I could see them pretty well, so I think they were big, they were on station for an hour, before their batteries ran out and they had to leave, so I suspect that they flew directly to my location after some sort of radar detection of my Mavic. Like I said, they were in class d airspace, I was on the edge of class d. Anyone have anything like that happen to them??

LOL! What??? Were they gunships? :D Did they really need to send two? What did you REALLY fly over?
They had an hour of flight time over you? I have a ton of questions.......
Do it again and video the attack drones this time!

LOL! What??? Were they gunships? :D Did they really need to send two? What did you REALLY fly over?
They had an hour of flight time over you? I have a ton of questions.......
Do it again and video the attack drones this time!
Read about it here - Airport using drones to enforce airspace?

Everyone: Please, back on topic.

Reactions: Classic flyer
Kind of comparing Apples to Oranges but.....As a fisherman I have used my boats Radar to pick up birds......find birds you usually find fish. With that said I can pick them up if they are in a small to large flock. Single bird, not going to see it

I would also expect that being much more reflective than a fluffy bird, a drone should be even a stronger target.

Reactions: Classic flyer
We've got all these no fly zones but is the controller seeing a bunch of drones flying around?

I almost ran into 100 balloons from a party or something at 5500ft. That would of clogged my compressors on jy jet engines. Approach said they could view it. Withat being said, tney do not see drones. If they do they disregard it and keep busy controlling real aircraft. So many drone pilots 107 and non 107 are violating the rules everyday. It's impossible to manage.

When flying night missions for Sea Shepherd with a Matrice 100 the bridge could track the drone with the radar and would help me with course corrections when finding a target. So, for a drone the size of a Matrice, the answer is yes. However, not sure about a drone the size of a Mavic.

On edit: I don't know enough to know if there's a difference between a ships radar and radar an airport would use.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147