DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does this hover in position when it's NOT connected to GPS?

Dafar

Reactions
It seems like it needs to be in GPS mode to hover in place. And I learned the hard way... I tried to fly the drone inside the house, noticed that it was in "Atti Mode", didn't think much of it and started the drone thinking it would stay in place like normal but the thing kept swaying around and I was trying to balance it with my controller scared as **** and when it was about to run into the wall I grabbed the mavic from the top and caught it but the blades really f*cked my fingers up, my middle finger got cut pretty bad. At least I saved the drone though... can't let that thing be hitting walls on my first week of owning it

Anyway back to my question, Is there a mode that keeps the drone hovering in place? I really wanted to fly this indoors

Thanks

As you've learned the hard way, the Mavic tries to hover but the air current its own rotors generate are too strong and will push it around with ease. The Mavic lacks sufficient sensors to provide enough data to hover indoors unless it's a large space/warehouse where it's own rotor wash won't affect it.

It should be able to keep in place using the down pointing sensors - visual positioning.
However these need good light and a surface with some contrasty features to work well.
It's not unusual for it to get weak GPS intermittently, and jumping between the two can be unpredictable
Flying indoors in a small room without good light is good way to have a crash and you could damage stuff in the room too.

Reactions: halley
... but the blades really f*cked my fingers up, my middle finger got cut pretty bad.
If you have DJI Refresh, you might be able to send your middle finger in for repair. But do know that DJI may send you a refurbished finger in its place :)... Glad you saved your bird. I live in a low-ceiling house, where I fly a Hubsan X4, but don't think I'll ever launch my MP in here. A guy could lose a finger doing that! Ok, I'll shut up now ;)

I guess it takes all sorts in life but it surprises me everyday how many idiots inhabit planet earth.

Cool story though bro. ; )

I found this out also, ended up having three bumps indoors second day of trying it out. Simply because the weather gods weren't playing ball... I guess the downwash from the props caused all kinds of stability issues... I tried correcting this with the R/C ending terribly. Fortunately only a couple superficial scars on the MP and four wrecked props... and a damaged kitchen unit... I won't be in a rush to that again...

If anyone's curious.... here's my finger. This is 4 days later and it looks MUCH better.

http://i.imgur.com/Ndmk4tu.jpg

Those propellers aren't f*cking around! And neither is the Mavic, i'm still glad I saved it... totally worth it. Is DJI gonna send me a new finger??

So the drone cant hover in place without being connected to GPS huh? ****.

So what happens when I'm flying this and lose GPS connection? Is it gonna start swaying around? Does that happen a lot?

I have flown mine indoors many times, it holds itself rock solid in place, I can even grab a landing gear, drag it off about 10 feet and it will return right back to that spot and where it was hovering and hover, I don't understand the problems others are having flying indoors, maybe I'm lucky.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I have flown mine indoors many times, it holds itself rock solid in place, I can even grab a landing gear, drag it off about 10 feet and it will return right back to that spot and where it was hovering and hover, I don't understand the problems others are having flying indoors, maybe I'm lucky.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
You are simply that, lucky. Indoors, you can bounce back and forth from OPTI with good VPS if the room is well lit and the floor has enough variation for the sensors to recognize patterns, but you can have bleed over from GPS and even if it is weaker you can then bounce from a good OPTI signal to the weaker GPS signal, which can lead to control/hover issues. Then if both OPTI and GPS are inconsistent you can bounce to ATTI where you have to fly it 100% and will likely crash because of the air turbulence from the blades, so yes you've been lucky. If you try this again check which mode your flying in and thank your lucky stars it appears to be consistent.

So the drone cant hover in place without being connected to GPS huh? ****.

If it is close enough to the ground and there is enough light and the floor has enough visual variety, then it will try to hover in place using the visual sensors. But a stable hover indoors is by no means guaranteed.

So what happens when I'm flying this and lose GPS connection? Is it gonna start swaying around? Does that happen a lot?

If it loses GPS and is more than a few feet off the ground (and so can't use the visual sensors) then it will drift in the direction the wind is blowing. At this point it is perfectly possible to maintain control, but only if you have some experience of flying a drone with no GPS stabilisation.

And no, it doesn't happen very often. For example it has never happened yet in my 20 hours of Mavic Pro flying.

But if it does happen to you and you aren't ready for it, there is a good chance of you screwing it up.

Get yourself a Hubsan X4 or something similar and practice flying a drone without GPS.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty