DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Don't Get It - Think DJI Might Have Shot Themselves in the Foot

Just because the price is lower on the Air does not mean they will make less profit. The air is built in a different Factory from the mavic pro, as is the spark.

One way to look at it:
Spark = Honda Fit
Mavic Air = Honda Civic
Mavic Pro = Honda Accord

Another way:
Spark = Old Navy
Mavic Air = Gap
Mavic Pro = Banana Republic

Or:
Spark = .22LR
Mavic Air = 9mm Luger
Mavic Pro = .45ACP

Reactions: nathanwms
So no more flickering every 8th frame on MA?
I have spent last 2 weeks editing videos from last year and the more I watch MP video quality the more I am literally disgusted. Artifacts due to low bitrate, massive flickering and noise. I wish I have waited one year and get Mavic Air.
I have action mini cam for $100 that has same sensor size like MP and I am having stunning image, double bitrate, 2k/60, no noise, no flickering. I just cannot believe how much they messed up codec and FW on MP.
I love MP as flying machine but since I got it mainly for video...

Reactions: Craig540
Spark = .22LR
Mavic Air = 9mm Luger
Mavic Pro = .45ACP

i like this analogy. it's funny. i read all about the artifacts in the MP camera - i have never experienced any. i'm a pt 107 guy who does video for a living (UAV is just another tool, not the whole bag). i use theMP & P4P and in good light i don't notice a LOT of difference in the two. low light is a different story - but that's sensor size & why i bought the P4P. neither of them are a red or even a gh5 - but i'm just not seeing what others are seeing. that said, what i'd really like is a .308

The first thing to keep in mind is that DJI is notorious for cannibalizing their own products. That's their sales strategy and its been working very well. They know they need to out do competition at every turn even if it depreciates their old models. The reason is that they have their own factories, everyone else, outsources. China's workforce is specialized. Shenzhen is a manufacturing behemoth compared to the US. All this makes it more cost effective. That's why Gopro failed. That's why 3DR failed. DJI has much more talent and cheaper manufacturing. I find it comical when people make fun of Chinese products nowadays, its not like that anymore.

The second thing is the Air camera is much better than the Pro. Comparisons are coming out and the Air camera is much closer to the P4P. Lowlight and dynamic range of the Air far surpasses the Pro, IMHO.
I'm 70. When I was a kid everyone recognized Japanese products and always spoke of them as junk, poor quality. Then things changed and the Japanese learned marketing, competition and quality control. You see their high quality and product value today. It appears to me the Chinese are now beginning to understand the game. They may even be more fierce at it. They hunger to play and succeed.

Reactions: thongbong and geigy
One way to look at it:
Spark = Honda Fit
Mavic Air = Honda Civic
Mavic Pro = Honda Accord

Another way:
Spark = Old Navy
Mavic Air = Gap
Mavic Pro = Banana Republic

Or:
Spark = .22LR
Mavic Air = 9mm Luger
Mavic Pro = .45ACP

I like your analogy as well. I think a lot of people are confused by the Mavic Air because it is so close in specs to the MP and they don't get that it was designed to fill the "gap" between the Spark and the Mavic Pro 2 not the current Mavic Pros.

If the MP2 does in fact come out with a 1" sensor and even longer flight time, that would leave a huge gap between it and the Spark which the Mavic Air just so happens to fill nicely.

Spark is a geat entry level, hobbyist drone for those who don't need high-end features, not big on video editing and want to grab some aerial shots at family outings, vacations, etc.

Mavic Air really serves those who need a bit more than the Spark but many of the Mavic Pro features were overkill and not used. The new Mavic Pro 2 will be a true portable "professional" drone for those who need that you level of performance.

I suspect that the advent of the Air will drive DJI to make the MP2 quite a leap ahead of its current state as well as the Air.

I suspect that the Air won't drive DJI to do anything. Everyone keeps acting as if DJI doesn't make all of the drones being discussed. The MP2 has been designed, the Air won't affect it anymore than the Autel EVO. Some of you really don't understand marketing and product lines. Audi doesn't "shoot itself in the foot" by offering the A3 (Spark), A4 (Mavic Air), A5 (Mavic Pro), A6 (Phantom 4 Pro) and A8 (Inspire 2)They are different vehicles that appeal to different customers. Nor do they "shot themselves in the foot" by offering the same vehicles in S versions (Platinum, P4P+, I2Z7, etc). It's called filling out the product line. DJI had some serious gaps in their line. From $400-1000-1500-3000 leaves a lot of room for competitors to leverage in their own models. Closing those gaps is a smart play for DJI. It's why I suspect that the Mavic Air Pro will fall in at about $1200 if it does come with the same camera as the P4P. It'll probably lack side sensors, be slower and still have a few shortcomings when compared to the P5P. It's either that or it'll replace the Mavic Pro, sell for about $1100 as to put a whopping on Autel or any other competitor.

I suspect that the Air won't drive DJI to do anything. Everyone keeps acting as if DJI doesn't make all of the drones being discussed. The MP2 has been designed, the Air won't affect it anymore than the Autel EVO. Some of you really don't understand marketing and product lines. Audi doesn't "shoot itself in the foot" by offering the A3 (Spark), A4 (Mavic Air), A5 (Mavic Pro), A6 (Phantom 4 Pro) and A8 (Inspire 2)They are different vehicles that appeal to different customers. Nor do they "shot themselves in the foot" by offering the same vehicles in S versions (Platinum, P4P+, I2Z7, etc). It's called filling out the product line. DJI had some serious gaps in their line. From $400-1000-1500-3000 leaves a lot of room for competitors to leverage in their own models. Closing those gaps is a smart play for DJI. It's why I suspect that the Mavic Air Pro will fall in at about $1200 if it does come with the same camera as the P4P. It'll probably lack side sensors, be slower and still have a few shortcomings when compared to the P5P. It's either that or it'll replace the Mavic Pro, sell for about $1100 as to put a whopping on Autel or any other competitor.

Good analogy.

Reactions: Dizzy1971
i like this analogy. it's funny. i read all about the artifacts in the MP camera - i have never experienced any. i'm a pt 107 guy who does video for a living (UAV is just another tool, not the whole bag). i use theMP & P4P and in good light i don't notice a LOT of difference in the two. low light is a different story - but that's sensor size & why i bought the P4P. neither of them are a red or even a gh5 - but i'm just not seeing what others are seeing. that said, what i'd really like is a .308

Yea my problem is that I came from flying drones from 3DR, Parrot, GoPro and older Yuneec. The MP's video looks like heaven compared to some of those!

I randomly grabbed two clips, they are not edited-turn down your volume.

Nah, just allowing more options for the consumer. Take note how Apple does it, iPad Pro 12.9, iPad Pro 10.5 and iPad Mini. All 3 perform basically the same tasks
Great point. Really it’s not a bad thing to give the consumer some added choice. I fly a mav Pro and don’t want a mav Air,but heck,there’s sure to be a lot of folks who do want the mav Air,so all the best to those ppl, more ppl in the hobby is not a bad thing in my humble opinion.

Reactions: philh24
I think the thing that also confuses people is they are comparing a brand new model to two models that are over a year old. To use the Audi analogy, Audi would not be killing its A5 or A6 by releasing a newly-refreshed A4 before the other two. The MP2 will be superior to the MA, especially if the 1" sensor rumors prove to be true.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming