DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Downward VPS mod for low light indoor flights

Mako79

Reactions
This helps in dark low lit areas and where gps is poor. It's like shining a torch on the floor.

They are just rechargable COB Leds velcroed on the rear arms.

I cant seem to test properly indoors as i keep acquiring too many sats (notice the foil on the tail).

Flies stable and easy to remove.

I dont think i will be using it much as i dont fly indoors that much.

20170320_234917.jpg
20170320_231816.jpg 20170320_234928.jpg

Reactions: Aronda and Davidss
This helps in dark low lit areas and where gps is poor. It's like shining a torch on the floor.

They are just rechargable COB Leds velcroed on the rear arms.

I cant seem to test properly indoors as i keep acquiring too many sats (notice the foil on the tail).

Flies stable and easy to remove.

I dont think i will be using it much as i dont fly indoors that much.

View attachment 9011
View attachment 9012 View attachment 9013

Where did you get the LED's?

Thanks

Yes, Thankyou. I note that site only ships to Australia, and specifically NOT to the UK, but I've found some China eBay adverts who will supply the UK, here, and here.
Of course they may be others, perhaps with UK stock, using a different description.

I also found, searching generally for COB leds at 3volts, these.
The advert covers all the voltage ranges, with differing power outputs, and physical sizes. The 3V versions are ideally sized to fit under each arm of the aircraft. The units are slim enough to remain in position when the aircraft is folded up. I'd imagined a small battery holder for 2 AAA cells mounted on top, and that the batteries would last for several flights. Only 1.5W each, but with 4 units, evenly spaced, they might give sufficient light to augment tree filtered daylight, while being adequately dispersed to avoid 'hot spots'.

I have in mind using the camera to record the state of tracks which are overhung with trees. My reasoning is that the trees would adversely affect both GPS reception and the light required for the Vertical Positioning Sensors. 'Failure' of both systems would push the aircraft into ATTI mode, which is not recommended in confined spaces (say 2 metres width and 2.5 to 3 metres high). I'd be looking to fly 1.5 to 2 metres above the ground, and within VLOS.

Thanks for the lead.

The GPS in the MP is quite sensitive (too sensitive perhaps) so the signal can "get in" from various paths - possibly even multipath off of other parts of the drone.

People are not only getting GPS indoors but like you, even with metal tape over the area where the receiver/antenna is located...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan