DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drinking and flying

Reactions: old man mavic
No worries about that - in my 20+ years as a LEO I have seen the harm alcohol can cause.
i guess we are both singing off the same hymn sheet in that regard see MY comments in post #3

Can someone point to actual legislation stating you should not fly a Drone/UAV/ RC Model whilst being under the influence of drugs or alcohol?, I've never heard of such.

Sorry just re-skimmed the thread, it's a Canada thing, never heard of it in the UK

Canada and the US - see post #9

Can someone point to actual legislation stating you should not fly a Drone/UAV/ RC Model whilst being under the influence of drugs or alcohol?, I've never heard of such.

Sorry just re-skimmed the thread, it's a Canada thing, never heard of it in the UK
it is stated in the drone code and on the CAA website in the flyer ID test

It's not in the Drone code Old Man

I see some advice on the CAA site about flying under the influence, but there is no no actual regulation attached

It's not in the Drone code Old Man

I see some advice on the CAA site about flying under the influence, but there is no no actual regulation attached
well all i can say is its not a good idea ,but if you want to test it out be my guest,

Reactions: Thanev
Any old Huey pilots remember:

No drinking within 50 feet of the aircraft ?

Not endorsing it, just stating the realities of flying in the RVN back in the day.

In the US airline flight crews have a 12 hour rule as does Canada.
This is true in the US per many of the airline's policies. By FAA regulation - as mentioned above by @Mavic Mac - the time limit from last drink to operation is 8 hours and/or a max BAC of .04.

I flew for a large jet management company, and their policy was 12 hours. Interestingly, we were only guaranteed 10 hours of rest time between duty assignments - which could be up to 14 hours long - so effectively, there was no drinking by crew members during their work week. Sometimes though, a mechanical breakdown in a remote location required a crew to remain local while the aircraft was being repaired. It used to always amaze me how good the beer tasted at some of the coastal resorts in southern Mexico...

It may well apply to commercially recognised / licenced UAV pilots, as this is part 107, or attached to a countrys actual manned pilots training.
I haven't seen anything that covers hobbyists, but of course it's common sense (sadly lacking sometimes) and I guess people are responsible for FUI (flying under the influence) whether they are rolling drunk (here, hold my drink and watch this), tipsy after just a few, or hungover next day and still with a decent reading.

Will our controllers one day have an alcho tube to breath into before allowing flight ?
Maybe, if pilots start crashing drones and proven to be FUI.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman