DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone clubs in South Africa

TrevorDawes

Reactions
Hi all you professional pilots, i have a question.
Does anyone know if there are there Drone clubs in South Africa drone clubs in Durban South Africa?

I tried to google, but nothing comes up. You might want to try RC clubs in the area, there seems to be a few around. Shongweni Model airplane club, Valley Radio Control club ect.

I tried to google, but nothing comes up. You might want to try RC clubs in the area, there seems to be a few around. Shongweni Model airplane club, Valley Radio Control club ect.
Well i have say i havent been able to find much either seems in sa droning is a lone sport, and mostly communities are online. While i wouldnt want also discourage anyone from trying a regular RC club i will just add my brief experience with a couple them as drone pilot, was not gery good, around pretoria/jhb. I found RC clubs still frown upon "drone" pilots they came across as very "old boys club" to me and was not very welcomi g or even open share much information. I think the bad press and stigma around "drone" pilots, are especially bad around the older generation RC crowd that afraid we will bring about more regulations for their hobby too. Sigh its sad see the hobby in so much bad light as it is lately even for the responsible pilots.

Reactions: CarlStarke
Well i have say i havent been able to find much either seems in sa droning is a lone sport, and mostly communities are online. While i wouldnt want also discourage anyone from trying a regular RC club i will just add my brief experience with a couple them as drone pilot, was not gery good, around pretoria/jhb. I found RC clubs still frown upon "drone" pilots they came across as very "old boys club" to me and was not very welcomi g or even open share much information. I think the bad press and stigma around "drone" pilots, are especially bad around the older generation RC crowd that afraid we will bring about more regulations for their hobby too. Sigh its sad see the hobby in so much bad light as it is lately even for the responsible pilots.
Totally agree with you. I am a ex rc heli - and fpv quad racing pilot, and i know how the guys feel at the clubs about Drones. Just thought i would help out, because there is no such thing as a Drone club in South Africa that i know of.

Totally agree with you. I am a ex rc heli - and fpv quad racing pilot, and i know how the guys feel at the clubs about Drones. Just thought i would help out, because there is no such thing as a Drone club in South Africa that i know of.
Yeah the funny thing is that there such double standard the couple time i went the first time i just looked didnt bring anything to fly i saw RC guys also doing a lot questionable stuff, had quys boasting about 2.4 ghz trasmitters far beyond the allowed ICASA ranges and power outputs broadcast more 30 kilos. :) The other thing that was odd is the tech part. A big part of what i love about my mavic 2 is the technology, and ofcourse cinematography. And crowd i found there was more into low tech stirefoam fixed wing planes doing repeated barry loops in a pattern. I dont mean to judge, to each his own i guess , i sometime too just fly for joy of flying, but it defintly a different mindset. One of the few guys that actually spoke to me first question was... "why would you want a camera on your copter?" lol. I think atleast the Fpv scene is more tech and younger crowd atleast. But standing there with brand new mavic 2 zoom imported before you could buy here, a marvel of technogy and then getting asked why i wanted a camera on it, made me just stare in silence lol

Hi, there is FPV Club that flies out of Thomas Moore (Kloof) among two other sites they regualrly use. www.http://flyfpvsa.co.za Also i managed to get into contact with SAMAA (South African Model Aircraft Association) and will start my diggin around there. Im also brand new to trying to get info for us Saffa's as its a lot easier to get access and understand the rules and regs for USA and UK than South Africa here :(

Maybe we should start a club DCSA...lol

Reactions: Dur8an Poison
Im new to this forum so not sure how it all works yet to be honest, but if i cant find a South African Pilots forum or such i wanted to try start one. Rules, Regs etc specific to RSA etc and use the other great ones for product, tips etc?

Totally agree

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147