DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone court battle, I fought the law...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even some droners have been kicked out of empty township parks. It’s stupid and will lead to unsafe situations because people will still fly their drone.. from their home if they are banned everywhere else .. then they are flying o we houses, cars , people, schools You name it. Politicians are making drones unsafe .

It’s a state law.. no drones in state parks.. doesn’t say anything about over them like national parks.

It’s really ridiculous in Jersey. All of the safe places to fly are parks.. county park law is you can only fly in one per county where “model aircraft” fly.. they include drones as model aircraft. You go to one of those parks and are told you have to pay to register or for permit $15 I think.. then you get to fly 15-20 min at a time and fixed wing aircraft have priority!

Are you positively sure?
I ask because this is what I use to guide me when I travel:
Not a peep about no drones in parks on your state level.
Just an ordinance for Township of Bernards.

And such a waste of time...I read one law they have introduced - to make it illegal to fly a drone under the influence.
Well, it is already :D

I think Bernard’s has the no drones under 400 ft ordinance Seriously

It’s really a state law.. I forget where I read it but I also read about getting approval so I called the state park commissioners office.

I know about county laws because I got kicked out of totally empty Colonial Park (Somerset county) and was told by park ranger I could only fly in Branchburg park where the county has its model aircraft area. At that point the county park page only said model air craft and told him I didn’t consider an photo drone to be a model.

Reactions: pmshop
Here it is...

Attachments

• 015FF095-55A7-40FB-8441-C05FB93E60AB.png
    015FF095-55A7-40FB-8441-C05FB93E60AB.png
    643 KB · Views: 52
Here it is...

Hmmmm, interesting.

2015 - sounds like a serious knee jerk reaction.
This is pre Part 107 so maybe you can go on that and claim they need to update their policies.
The FAA has.
Plus, policy is not state law.
Texas specifically prohibits at the state level unless OK'd by the individual park superintendent.

Even then, I don't want to bother them so I fly outside the parks :D
I use the terrain feature to see the green park areas and stay out of them :D

Reactions: Lbesing and Smalls
It’s a state law.. no drones in state parks.. doesn’t say anything about over them like national parks.

It’s really ridiculous in Jersey. All of the safe places to fly are parks.. county park law is you can only fly in one per county where “model aircraft” fly.. they include drones as model aircraft. You go to one of those parks and are told you have to pay to register or for permit $15 I think.. then you get to fly 15-20 min at a time and fixed wing aircraft have priority!

Copied, cut and pasted from Women and Drones web page. HERE is link to their web and article.
Can I Fly in National Parks?

No, you can’t. Drone owners are aware they should keep their unmanned aircraft away from airports yet can be surprised to find out they can’t use them in National Parks.

In August 2014, the National Park Service (NPS) made it illegal to operate drones in National Parks under 36 CFR 1.5. Jon Jarvis, the NPS Director, issued a no-drones policy quoting safety and noise issues. According to Jarvis, drones are forbidden in the National Parks as their presence can be disturbing, both to people in the parks and to wildlife.

The ban covers full-fledged National Parks, monuments, historic sites, battlefields, seashores, biking trails, walking trails, rivers, and other places run by the NPS. Going against the prohibition can lead to a $5,000 penalty and six months in prison. A tourist was penalized for flying a drone into Grand Prismatic Spring located in Yellowstone National Park in 2014.

Copied, cut and pasted from Women and Drones web page
Can I Fly in National Parks?

No, you can’t. Drone owners are aware they should keep their unmanned aircraft away from airports yet can be surprised to find out they can’t use them in National Parks.

In August 2014, the National Park Service (NPS) made it illegal to operate drones in National Parks under 36 CFR 1.5. Jon Jarvis, the NPS Director, issued a no-drones policy quoting safety and noise issues. According to Jarvis, drones are forbidden in the National Parks as their presence can be disturbing, both to people in the parks and to wildlife.

The ban covers full-fledged National Parks, monuments, historic sites, battlefields, seashores, biking trails, walking trails, rivers, and other places run by the NPS. Going against the prohibition can lead to a $5,000 penalty and six months in prison. A tourist was penalized for flying a drone into Grand Prismatic Spring located in Yellowstone National Park in 2014.

Conversation is about New Jersey State Parks.

NPS is a completely different animal.
This is their "no drone" sign:

See that anywhere and you are in a NDZ for sure

Reactions: VortexSpin
Conversation is about New Jersey State Parks.

NPS is a completely different animal.
This is their "no drone" sign:
View attachment 78291
The reason for my post concerning National Parks is that in Post #20 Gord made this statement

So I posted clarification concerning National Parks.

The reason for my post concerning National Parks is that in Post #20 Gord made this statement

So I posted clarification concerning National Parks.

I stand corrected.
I was just focusing on the state park part and I see that now.
Thanks!

I stand corrected.
I was just focusing on the state park part and I see that now.
Thanks!
Off topic but really like the videos on your YouTube channel !

Yeah I once shared airspace with a couple of fixed wings at a nearby drone park - the fixed wing operators should not have actually been there.

It was horrible and nerve racking - I spent the whole time concentrating on avoiding a collision. Those things were zooming all over the sky at high speed. Never again!!

In all my travels I only met up with 3 other operators.
Met two of them in person, never saw the third until I looked at the video :D

Last edited:
Is msinger the Singer v. City of Newton guy?

While this
Texas revoked ANY municipality's drone ordinances and stated if they want to re-enact them they must go through an FAA approval process.

Michigan did the same thing....but genesee county doesn’t seem to care what the law says. That’s why we’re off to court.

I’m always in some shady industrial area or vacant lot flying looking over my shoulder .

I do go to parks occasionally and step just outside their boundary and fly at 6 am never had a problem but give it time..

What’s crazy is when I got shut down by a ranger I could have gone out to the street parked in the shoulder and flew over the ranger station. (I didn’t do that) But how crazy that he told me to leave an empty park. POLICE LET PEOPLE SPEED as long as they are driving safe. They don’t enforce laws to the T but drones are treated like they are the enemy of the people .

• Wow
POLICE LET PEOPLE SPEED as long as they are driving safe. They don’t enforce laws to the T but drones are treated like they are the enemy of the people .

Cars and drivers have been around for more than a century and a big majority of people either drive or rely on cars almost every day of their lives. By comparison, drones have been on the scene for only a few seconds so a big majority of people still don't understand them or why they exist.

But, as has been pointed out hundreds of times on this forum, the main reasons drones are "treated like they are the enemy of the people" are because of the "idiot" element of the recreational drone flying community along with sensationalist press coverage of same.

Reactions: wsteele
Cars and drivers have been around for more than a century and a big majority of people either drive or rely on cars almost every day of their lives. By comparison, drones have been on the scene for only a few seconds so a big majority of people still don't understand them or why they exist.

But, as has been pointed out hundreds of times on this forum, the main reasons drones are "treated like they are the enemy of the people" are because of the "idiot" element of the recreational drone flying community along with sensationalist press coverage of same.
Totally agree, but law enforcement and more realistically Park Rangers could be giving out tickets instead of the government banning drones. Would make us safer and make the towns $$$$$

Totally agree, but law enforcement and more realistically Park Rangers could be giving out tickets instead of the government banning drones. Would make us safer and make the towns $$$$$

I really don't understand where you're going with that line of argument but, in any case, people going on and on about how the system is so unfair is not achieving anything or helping anyone. If you feel strongly enough about something that needs changing then you would probably be better off getting lots of signatures on a petition and then sending it to appropriate elected officials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goadreams