DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone GPS

Logan10

Reactions
Hey, I have a school project. I need the GPS coordinates of a drone to be sent to my custom Android java app. I need to display its coordinates on a map in my app. Does any drone offer a link to mobile and share its coordinates?

Reactions: Cafguy
Hey, I have a school project. I need the GPS coordinates of a drone to be sent to my custom Android java app. I need to display its coordinates on a map in my app. Does any drone offer a link to mobile and share its coordinates?
Does this have to be done "live" = as the drone is moving?
How accurate do you need the coordinates to be?

Does this have to be done "live" = as the drone is moving?
How accurate do you need the coordinates to be?
I need to display the drone's location on a map on my mobile (in my app). So I need the current location of the device when it is moving. I would like the most accurate accuracy, but minor deviations are not a problem.

Reactions: Cafguy
Why not disassemble the code from one of those RID apps and place it into your app don't they provide coordinates?
Just wondering?- Maybe GitHub has a solution?

I will describe more precisely what I need. When the drone flies, I need to send its coordinates to my phone. When the drone moves, its position on the mobile will also move. If the drone gets to or close to certain coordinates, the screen will light up green.

This can be done with any of the DJI drones that have SDK support. Precise GPS coordinates of the drone are accessible through a programmable interface in the SDK.

I'd recommend the Mini SE, which has SDK support, as a low cost platform for this project.

Since the drone can return and land within 2' of takeoff requires very accurat GPS. To bad it does not make it avalible to the pilot and on the photos.

Since the drone can return and land within 2' of takeoff requires very accurat GPS. To bad it does not make it avalible to the pilot and on the photos.
Non-military GPS resolution is not accessible nor is its access within DJI’s control.

My understanding is that the Precision Landing system uses the downward Visual Positioning System (VPS) to get that last bit of accuracy in landing. GPS gets it close, VPS gets it very close.

Non-military GPS resolution is not accessible nor is its access within DJI’s control.

My understanding is that the Precision Landing system uses the downward Visual Positioning System (VPS) to get that last bit of accuracy in landing. GPS gets it close, VPS gets it very close.

Any time you're within 30-45' of the ground VPS is providing the positioning sensing, GPS being ignored unless VPS can't.

Your home position is determined by gps. Home position cannot be determined until you have enough satellite data to mark your position. VPS takes over when you are close enough to the ground to determine if it is a safe place to land.

Your home position is determined by gps. Home position cannot be determined until you have enough satellite data to mark your position. VPS takes over when you are close enough to the ground to determine if it is a safe place to land.
This is all true, but doesn’t address some DJI drones’ Precision Landing function, which is an additional layer of RTH in which the drone can land with precise positioning far in excess of what civilian GPS can provide.

Precision Landing VPS matches the landing position with VPS data collected on takeoff… if one has turned on Precision Landing.

Reactions: okw
This is all true, but doesn’t address some DJI drones’ Precision Landing function, which is an additional layer of RTH in which the drone can land with precise positioning far in excess of what civilian GPS can provide.

Precision Landing VPS matches the landing position with VPS data collected on takeoff… if one has turned on Precision Landing.
does the mavic 2 support precision rth?

does the mavic 2 support precision rth?
I don’t currently have access to my employer’s Mavic 2 drones, and DJI’s specs don’t say. Perhaps you can find information in the manual.

However, the link below is to an academic paper from a professor at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, a highly respected institution. It shows a screenshot with Precision Landing enabled for a Mavic Pro (1), which also runs on Go4, so I’d assume the Mavic 2 supports it as well. But I don’t use those kinds of auto functions much, so I’ve never tested it.

Attachments

• IMG_1135.jpeg
    IMG_1135.jpeg
    267.5 KB · Views: 3

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas