DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Search and Rescue

if I observed something of interest is there a way that I can record the coordinates (with a Mini 2) ?
Yes, you can use the Litchi app (paid 3rd party app) to show the coordinates on screen (enable in settings), and then record the screen.

Mini 2 isn't the best drone for this purpose, but it does the job.

Yes, Mini 2 isn't the best drone for any purpose but sometimes the app comes into the equation. Litchi is good. Sometimes better than the drone deploy etc for a particular application.

Reactions: Dbez1
Hey, i was just wondering. I know a few pretty serious RPAS operators in your area that may have been of use. Im also aware that Australian agencies are usually reluctant to ask for outside help, to the detriment of the operation.

Last edited:
Hey, i was just wondering. I know a few pretty serious RPAS operators in your area that may have been of use. Im also aware that Australian agencies are usually reluctant to ask for outside help, to the detriment of the operation.
There are a couple of organisations who advertise drone jobs and direct them to you depending on your expertise, qualifications, equipment, location etc. However if an emergency arises then they will open this opportunity up to all of their ''members' and it is up to them to accept this job if they are so inclined.

Aerologix and Drones For Hire

As I understand it (I might be wrong) CASA granted appropriate permissions and wavers to proceed. ie BVLOS, Night Operations, access to National Parks etc.

The drone pilots were operating under the Incident Coordinator and shared information but yes, they still kept the Drone Operators at and arm's length, citing things like liability and insurance.

The public perception is that a RPAS is a toy, or at best an SLR camera with a fancy tripod. They have yet to be convinced that pilots/operators of these RPAS are responsible individuals with knowledge and skills. I sometimes agree...

FYI a news report on this incident can be found here

Interesting. You were approached by one of those organisations to assist? How did you go. Any big learning moments from the exercise?

I work closely with Queensland Fire and Rescue and other government agencies that conduct these operations up here and haven't heard of private companies recruiting operators for such things

I'm not trying to hijack your post, but I'm genuinely interested in how these things are done down there.
I know that CASA would not be issuing BVLOS and Night Ops waivers to just anyone. I have accreditation for both and understand the requirements. They may do so for holders of ReOC or RePL with endorsements in place, but not to anyone recruited through a website.

From your experience, would you be willing to chat about how the operations went with this particular SAR Operation?

I see its been a few days without finding this poor fellow, best wishes and hopes for finding him

Interesting. You were approached by one of those organisations to assist? How did you go. Any big learning moments from the exercise?

I work closely with Queensland Fire and Rescue and other government agencies that conduct these operations up here and haven't heard of private companies recruiting operators for such things

I'm not trying to hijack your post, but I'm genuinely interested in how these things are done down there.
I know that CASA would not be issuing BVLOS and Night Ops waivers to just anyone. I have accreditation for both and understand the requirements. They may do so for holders of ReOC or RePL with endorsements in place, but not to anyone recruited through a website.

From your experience, would you be willing to chat about how the operations went with this particular SAR Operation?

I see its been a few days without finding this poor fellow, best wishes and hopes for finding him
To answer your interests one by one:

They advertise drone jobs, so not really approached or solicited. BTW to be on their list you are required to have a RePL, registered drone, liability insurance, ARN. All registered with CASA.

The private companies were not recruiting but rather advertising opportunities for volunteering work.

Yes I too am genuinely interested in how things are done....

In short, I applied for a volunteer position withe SES. Their one line answer was that 'we don't do drones'.

Further research shows that South Australia SES has about 2 dozen RePL members and a solid structure. They do courses on SAS and have qualifications andrganisational structures.

Surf Lifesaving Australia do drones for survaillance. The organisation is structured with courses, examinations and qualifications to do their duties. I suggest that you check out their website.

They both have ReOC, Chief Pilots and ops coordinators at various levels.

Bad weather for a couple of days but optimistic.

Thanks
The SES have always been reluctant to ask for outside help and upgrade technology. I have done many excercises with them as military and civilian and ive always been amazed at their lack of efficiency due to not making use of all available resources.
SES members do amazing work, and id never take anything from them, but their command structure is appalling.
Well aware of lifesaving Australia as we conducted all their training and certifications until they grew the capacity to look after themselves.
Will be interesting to see how these private companies move forward with getting resources for operations like this in the future.

Cheers

Edit: if you are still keen on working with SES in NSW as an RPAS operator, the way to go might be to join as a normal member and then introduce your skills from the inside

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13