DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone law in Northern Ireland

Neytan

Reactions
i own maviv 2 im planning trip to newcastle (Northern Ireland) i found some rules and there is something about registration , so even tourists have to register their drones?

No drone registration in Northern Ireland (yet)

Reactions: Point Zero
As above, there are no age restrictions in Northern Ireland (yet). Stick to the drone code, fly safely and you should have no problems.
UK drone code

Reactions: Neytan
I’ll be in N.I. In a week...any changes to the requirements there?
Not at the minute, for now just follow the drone code. We will be included in the new UK rules later this year.

My wife and I are planning a trip to Ireland and Northern Ireland in September. I'd like to take my Mavic 2 Pro and film the stunning coast, especially in Northern Ireland. I checked out the UK Drone Code link provided above. All the restrictions were pretty straightforward, but I'm confused whether I'll need to register myself and my drone with the government and pass a drone test. The screen shot of Page 1 of the UK Drone Code shows what I'm talking about.

As a visitor to the two countries, will I need to do this? If so, how do I get the process started?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 12.12.36 AM.png

Yes, you now need to register as an operator (which will include a £9 fee) and everyone who will be flying the drone needs to pass the online test (which is free). Read the test questions carefully as some of them are not asking what you might think they are at first, and the test covers more than just the poster.

Once you've done all that, you'll need a removable label with your Operator ID on it stuck on the drone and keep your Flyer ID (or IDs if multiple family members are flying) available in case challenged by the police, etc. as proof that you have passed the test. A print out of the test confirmation email will do, but all they need is the number to validate with the CAA, so a memo on your phone or a post-it will do.

This page is a good launching point for the necessary info and test processes: Registration - Dronesafe

Reactions: old man mavic
Yes, you now need to register as an operator (which will include a £9 fee) and everyone who will be flying the drone needs to pass the online test (which is free). Read the test questions carefully as some of them are not asking what you might think they are at first, and the test covers more than just the poster.

Once you've done all that, you'll need a removable label with your Operator ID on it stuck on the drone and keep your Flyer ID (or IDs if multiple family members are flying) available in case challenged by the police, etc. as proof that you have passed the test. A print out of the test confirmation email will do, but all they need is the number to validate with the CAA, so a memo on your phone or a post-it will do.

This page is a good launching point for the necessary info and test processes: Registration - Dronesafe
Excellent info, zocalo! Thanks!

Since the Republic of Ireland is not part of the UK, do you know if the process for flying a drone is the same in the Republic of Ireland?

I believe it's very similar (based on the same EU requirements), but requires a separate registation (also with a small fee) to the UK.

Keep in mind that the West Coast of Ireland is a North Atlantic coastline and as such can be *very* windy if you're intending to fly there, although if you get a still enough day there are some excellent locations. There are also no border controls on the Irish border and away from the big cities roads are generally in good condition with light traffic, making it pretty easy to get around.

I believe it's very similar (based on the same EU requirements), but requires a separate registation (also with a small fee) to the UK.
More great information, and thanks for the links! I did a cursory look at the Ireland requirements. From the little I read, it looks like all I need to do is register my Mavic 2 Pro, no test!

About the Northern Ireland test:
Can someone give me a little heads-up as to what I can expect? Is it multiple choice? How many questions? Is it timed? What is the minimum passing score? Are there questions like what I'd see on the Part 107 test in the US? After taking and (hopefully) passing the test, how long does it take to get whatever stickers I need?

Thanks!

About the Northern Ireland test:
Can someone give me a little heads-up as to what I can expect? Is it multiple choice? How many questions? Is it timed? What is the minimum passing score? Are there questions like what I'd see on the Part 107 test in the US? After taking and (hopefully) passing the test, how long does it take to get whatever stickers I need?

Thanks!

It's a 20 question, multi-choice test that you take online. You can take as long as you like, and are free to consult the provided reference materials during the test. The pass score is 16. Notification of passing is via email, and is pretty much immediate.

The questions are a mix of straight up checking that you know basic facts, and others are scenario based which are the ones where you need to take a bit more time to understand the question. Most experienced pilots seem to pass first time with a score between 18-20, and usually those getting 18 or 19 do so because they misinterpreted the point of a question - it's pretty easy to pass if you know what you are doing.

You need to DIY your stickers (yes, cheap), so either a label printer or a bit of card under some clear (and ideally waterpoof) tape will do. Protip - use tape that won't leave residue since this will be temporary. It's fine to put the label inside the battery compartment, but on the outside is fine too.

It's a 20 question, multi-choice test that you take online. You can take as long as you like, and are free to consult the provided reference materials during the test. The pass score is 16. Notification of passing is via email, and is pretty much immediate.

The questions are a mix of straight up checking that you know basic facts, and others are scenario based which are the ones where you need to take a bit more time to understand the question. Most experienced pilots seem to pass first time with a score between 18-20, and usually those getting 18 or 19 do so because they misinterpreted the point of a question - it's pretty easy to pass if you know what you are doing.

You need to DIY your stickers (yes, cheap), so either a label printer or a bit of card under some clear (and ideally waterpoof) tape will do. Protip - use tape that won't leave residue since this will be temporary. It's fine to put the label inside the battery compartment, but on the outside is fine too.
I PASSED! 19/20 correct. Now I just need to pay for the flight to get to N. Ireland! Thanks for your help, zocalo!

I was hoping to fly along the west coast or Ireland and the north coast of N. Ireland. I've watched quite a few youtube videos from drone flights in these areas. The video footage seems fine, but they probably flew on less windy days. When people are talking on the ground about a particular place, I can hear the wind in their microphone and see the grass bent over from the wind. Even if I don't get to fly the drone, just seeing these spectacular coastlines will be unforgettable.

I'm super excited to visit!

I've tried registering on the Ireland website, but it won't open for me. I'll try a little later.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman