DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Night Flight

Cool! Now I can’t get that song out of my head!

A Little new at this but, I thought flying at night was a no no.....

§107.29 Daylight operation.
(a) No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system during night.
(b) No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system during periods of civil twilight unless the small unmanned aircraft has lighted anti-collision lighting visible for at least 3 statute miles. The remote pilot in command may reduce the intensity of the anti-collision lighting if he or she determines that, because of operating conditions, it would be in the interest of safety to do so.

A Little new at this but, I thought flying at night was a no no.....

§107.29 Daylight operation.
(b) No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system during periods of civil twilight unless the small unmanned aircraft has lighted anti-collision lighting visible for at least 3 statute miles. The remote pilot in command may reduce the intensity of the anti-collision lighting if he or she determines that, because of operating conditions, it would be in the interest of safety to do so.

It is as a 107 commercial pilot but not as a hobbyist which is what this flight was. The FAA has also proposed removing the night restriction for commercial drone operations.

The drone was also equipped with anti-collision lighting.

This flight was legal.

Last edited:
Reactions: TR Ganey and BD0G
It is as a 107 pilot but NOT as a hobbyist which is what this flight was. The FAA has also proposed removing the night restriction for commercial drone operations.

The drone was also equipped with anti-collision lighting.

This flight was legal.

Which is completely stupid. It’s like saying someone without a drivers license can drive on the freeway but someone with a license can’t.

Ok, so I'm looking at this website that is called
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

I was directed to that site from this FAA site
Activities, Courses, Seminars & Webinars - Course Overview - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov
called Part 107 Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (small UAS) Initial

where its says

So where do I find the "Offical" regulations that clarify that statement?
Is it buried somewhere in the training material for the 107?

Ok, so I'm looking at this website that is called
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

I was directed to that site from this FAA site
Activities, Courses, Seminars & Webinars - Course Overview - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov
called Part 107 Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (small UAS) Initial

where its says

So where do I find the "Offical" regulations that clarify that statement?
Is it buried somewhere in the training material for the 107?

Can’t tell you where to find it, but it’s true. You can fly up to 30 mins before sunrise and after sunset but only if you have anti-collision lights. The FAA is looking into getting rid of the night flying regulation though.

Can’t tell you where to find it, but it’s true. You can fly up to 30 mins before sunrise and after sunset but only if you have anti-collision lights. The FAA is looking into getting rid of the night flying regulation though.

This is been discussed before on this board. There is no restriction for hobbyist night flights - only for 107 Commercial flights. Plan a flight with AirMap; if it’s a 107 flight it’s a no go, if it’s a hobbyist flight there is no restriction. Only requirement is anti collision lighting visible for 3 statute miles.

Flying Drones At Night | 11 Things You Need To Know [2019] | Drones-Pro

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcjz