DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone pics with colour filters?

mtnrider16

Reactions
Been looking at accessories and noticed a company called Freewell, the make a number of dark gradient filters to lower the exposure, and colored lenses to enhance specific colours in the photo. I would be interested in seeing such photos with the filters attached!
b20289ee781f201c049768515d193f70.jpg

Sent from my ONE A2005 using MavicPilots mobile app

While NDs and possibly polarisers can have a useful effect I don't see the point of colours since you can do something similar with even quite basic software later.
Much harder to pull back a tinted image to something more neutral.
The Grads might be worth trying but will look pretty odd if you change the horizon by tilting the gimbal.
Again you can apply a similar effect later with software 'where required'

Reactions: halley
Agreed. There used to be a camera filter company called Cokin. They sold like 85 different filters you could put in front of your lens for special effects like starbursts and soft focus. They disappeared as soon as Photoshop and the first all-digital cameras came out.

* polarizer
* neutral density gradient
* neutral density full field
* uv or ir notch filters

That is really the whole range of specialty filters you could want on a digital camera platform. These affect the physics of the light and influence the camera's recording of that light to enhance the data collected. Anything else is damaging the data in a way you can't recover if you change your mind.

That said, I did buy the FreeWell 4 pack with CPL and 3x ND filters. I am looking forward to trying these.

FWIW, I have most of the Freewell Gear Mavic filters (not the above set). I cannot comment on them color-wise as I haven't compared them to my other filters yet. However, I can tell you they are made well, clear the gimbal at all angles, and are easy to slide on and off of the camera barrel.

Reactions: mtnrider16
FWIW, I have most of the Freewell Gear Mavic filters (not the above set). I cannot comment on them color-wise as I haven't compared them to my other filters yet. However, I can tell you they are made well, clear the gimbal at all angles, and are easy to slide on and off of the camera barrel.
Thanks! I think I will be picking up the nd filters. Any other accessories you recommend? I was watching some videos and some guys recommend a take off pad? I plan on taking lots of photos at the beach, and it didn't dawn on me until recently that sand could be a messy issue..

Any other accessories you recommend?
Check out my must-have list for the Mavic here.

I was watching some videos and some guys recommend a take off pad? I plan on taking lots of photos at the beach, and it didn't dawn on me until recently that sand could be a messy issue
Unless you're talking about a 10 foot landing pad, it would be safer to hand launch or launch from some type of platform if you must take off from the beach. The props are going to kick up a lot of sand on takeoff/landing. When I'm flying at the beach, I always take off from a nearby street or parking lot.

Reactions: mtnrider16
Check out my must-have list for the Mavic here.

Unless you're talking about a 10 foot landing pad, it would be safer to hand launch or launch from some type of platform if you must take off from the beach. The props are going to kick up a lot of sand on takeoff/landing. When I'm flying at the beach, I always take off from a nearby street or parking lot.
Wow... That is a very extensive accessory list! You've definitely put the time in to set that up, thank you! [emoji1] I will definitely be book marking that page and going back to it once my drone arrives.

Reactions: msinger
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman